Replacing trebles with circle hooks

mikench

Reaction score
I am moved to ask the question by the article today by John Bailey on the subject. I have only caught a pike on a deadbait with a circle hook and removing it, even for me ,was a simple and speedy process. I am thinking of removing trebles from some of my lures and replacing them with single circle hooks. Is this recommended and if so how and which hooks?

terry m

Reaction score
Circles may be ok for dead bait, but I wouldn’t try it with lures for several reasons. Primarily because deep hooking is not a big problem when lure fishing. Secondly the curled in point of a circle hook will be less effective for hook up. Thirdly many quality lures are designed with the weight of the hook as an intrinsic part of the item, so the action may become sub optimal.

To reduce the likelihood of damage to fish I would recommend simply squeezing down all of the barbs on existing hooks.

john step

Reaction score
Mike, agree with terryM above. I would not use circles with lures. I doubt if you would hook up anything! Different mechanics.
I have a mate who lure fishes a lot and always takes one of the trebles off if there are two. He seems to land a good few.

I know there are some anglers who replace trebles with singles on lures with some success (but not circles).
By coincidence I tied up some circle/traces yesterday.
I also use large singles meant for catfishing which I use for sink and draw which I personally find more productive than lures( being useless with lures!)

On those days when its cold and you dont think bait fishing for silvers is worthwhile its good to wander with a sink and draw to often get a bend in the rod.

David Gane

Reaction score
Not quite the same thing I know, but I use circles on the top hook and back to back doubles on the lower when wobbling deadbaits and they work just as well as trebles.

keora

Reaction score
I've used circle hooks for about five years, in fact I had a pike on one yesterday. Circle hooks are designed for bait fishing, so the unusual design is not suitable for lures. My advice would be to squeeze the barbs flat on the hooks on your lures, which you've already done. I think having two large treble hooks on a lure makes it harder to unhook a pike, even if the hook barbs have been flattened. So I just have one treble on the tail of the lure and don't use lures bigger than five or six inches. Soft plastic shads with a large single hook are also useful.

Where did you see the article by John Bailey now that the Anglers Mail is no longer published?

keora

Reaction score
Thanks,I knew John Bailey had a blog on his own site. I didn’t know he had one here as well