reservoir fishing for large fish

J

jason fisher

what sort of tackle set up would you recommend for some one fishing a large reservoir for fish over 20lb in weight.

R

Ross Turner

Any standard fly tackle,9` or 10` 7# rod disc drag reel & a leader of about 10lbs should be ample.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I agree with Ross. A disc drag large arbour reel is a nice thng to have.

The secret is finding such large trout. If your reservoir has rearing cages I would tend to head for them using a fly that looks like a pellet or fish guts.

Fish as close to the cages as possible. If the cages are full of fish, there will always be fatalities and the dead fish will be ripped to pieces by the others and some of the flesh and guts will get into the water on the outsides of the cages.

I have known some enormous rainbows and browns to patrol near to these cages.

If you have no cages then fish deep near to dam walls early season. Into the wind too. If you have half a gale blowing into the dam wall, fish a booby on a short leader. The undertow will often pull your line out. Pay it out and then let it sit for periods of time until you get a take.

This sort of fishing suits those who like to put their rod on a pod with the buzzers turned on. And whilst you are about it you can use two rods with a different coloured boobies on each.

Take along your bedchair and go to sleep. A few cans of lager and some Vindaloo to warm up will be nice on a cold day.

Oh shut up Clay, you'll be getting the likes of Frothey and Cakey into trout fishing if you're not careful!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

During early season on the reservoirs you will often find gravelly areas with lots of fish disporting themslves. Some of these fish will be big - however that's where it stops.

These fish are going through the spawing rituals. You will see cock fish chasing hen fish all over the place. When they are like this, they are easy to catch by pulling a lure through them.

The fish however are black and horrible and not fit to feed a cat.

I get annoyed with people who are proud to catch such fish.

I once fished a lake that did not allow catch and release. I hooked an enormous trout which came in like a bream. When I saw it I was horrified. It was black as ink and covered with fungus.

It was the biggest trout by far that I have ever hooked.

I managed to unhook the darned thing by poking the tip of the fly rod into the fishes mouth and wiggling it.

You have to learn to change your values when you go trout fishing. Size should not be the ultimate yardstick. Quality comes before quantity.

J

jason fisher

ah but ron i'm going to be after bream not trout.it's just the waters fly only so i don't have a choice.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I think I know where you are going to fish Jason.

J

jason fisher

you might well ron, shall we start the guessing game like i did with the roach river. distance is about the same from me as that was from you.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Stoney had a double figure bream from there whilst trout fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've fished it mayeslf. Had some nice silvery rainbows from it which I used to sell to the local pub.

The first part of the name sounds a long distnce away.

The second part, they have one at Ilkley.

J

jason fisher

tep your right ron now did you get that email saying my thought on it and if you did what do you think.