Returning to fishing - saying hello

Newsh

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

During my youth I used to fish nearly every weekend from the age of 10 to 18, but then I had all my tackle stolen when the garage was burgled and that was the end, sadly I never went back to it

Fast forward to now, I'm 41 and a chance pickup of a coarse fishing magazine along with a renewed love of the countryside thanks to lockdown, has given me the fishing bug again. I've started reading and researching as much as possible so i can get back on the banks again. Most importantly - the wife has given me the green light!!
My job is pretty stressful and she thinks it will be good for me, not going to argue! She also thinks my son will enjoy it (he's 6).

I can still remember the basics but it seems a lot has changed - I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum and hopefully the advice here will steer me in the right direction! Back when i used to fish nearly everything i learned was from helpful anglers so hoping things are still the same in that regard.

I live on the outskirts of Bolton and have started to look into local waters, but any recommendations welcome. Seems a few of the old haunts are still going!

If you've made it this far - thanks! Look forward to getting involved

Simon

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
Welcome back, Simon. Your story is a pretty familiar one; there are quite a few of us who have trodden the same path. Apart from the fact that I sold my fishing tackle when I was 16 to raise money for a motor bike my own story is the same as yours. Twenty six years after getting back into it I still reckon it was the best move I've made in years.

Of course, you've chosen a rotten time to return to the fold as the season ends on 15 March, although there are lots of stillwaters and canals where the closed season doesn't apply. You're going to have to do some homework to find them.

Something I have said to others in similar kinds of conversations is that if you're anything like me you're now starting off on a journey. As a kid I used to float fish and when I returned to fishing that was where I started. I then moved on to carp fishing at commercial fisheries. But from there I developed an obsession with predators - including pike-fishing with baits and then lures, through drop-shotting and on to fly-fishing which is now my go-to day out. One of the big joys for me has been the capacity of angling to keep learning, as there is always something new to get your head around. The truth is too that I'm not as good at anything as I would like to be, so there is also always the challenge of truly mastering whatever it is you are doing. My advice to you (if you want it) is to make sure that you don't ever settle down for too long with one style or technique. Keep it fresh, keep learning and keep the joy well and truly alive.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Hi Simon and welcome to Fishing Magic and back to fishing. Maggots still catch fish!

Badgerale

Reaction score
Welcome back, I came back recently too.

One thing you'll notice that's different is how carp now dominate almost all still waters... and are even present in rivers.

So make sure you do your research on where you are likely to fish before spending money on a light setup.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM and the world of fishing again.
Although a lot appears to have changed the basics are the same.
Actually with the advent of commercials fishing can be so much easier. This will be a boon when you take your son.

Within the next few weeks the water will warm and fish will feed. Now the stillwaters dont close on 15th March you can get out in the Spring.

I would say not to go overboard with tackle until you get back in the flow. Keep a firm grip on the wallet!!!

xenon

Reaction score
My inclination would be to have a proper think about what kind of fishing I want to do. The temptation to go full on headless chicken trying this that and the other should be resisted (apart from anything else that will prove very expensive) Oh, and welcome back-you'll never leave.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Hi Simon, another returner here. Don’t be afraid to ask any questions, there are few right answers but lots of opinions.
Watch YouTube videos. It’s far easier to learn these days in my opinion.
And enjoy it’s a fantastic sport!

rubio

Reaction score
Howdy. Good luck with the return. Fish haven't changed so much you'll go far wrong doing what worked once before.

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. I agree with all of the above. It's quite a steep learning curve and, in truth, not one you ever get off. I gave up at 14 or so and apart from a foray when my own son was a similar age and some sea fishing , I resumed aged 62.

It certainly helps with stress, gets you out of the house, is a form of excercise( it is for me lugging the kitchen sink everywhere) and you get to go on a picnic every time. I would join a club and put your name down for membership asap as you could be waiting a while and are not obliged to accept it when and if offered. Bradshaw Hall is a good commercial fishery near you to start with and I know of a good coach from Bolton who can show you the ropes.

It is a great hobby and if you are lucky you will make some good friends along the way.

keora

Reaction score
If you want to find out where to fish in your area, try this link.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

Wife encouraging you to go fishing :D son to teach whilst you re-learn old skills :cool:

That sounds like an excellent starting point!

I returned to coarse angling after a long time sea fishing.....yes, a lot has changed! But the fish are much the same, old techniques will still catch.

For me the biggest change was understanding hair-rigs and boilies. Whole new language for me!

Plenty of help on these forums and YouTube is a wonderful tool.

Just remember to look after your wife (chocs/flowers/Birthdays/anniversaries etc) - fishing can make you forget everything else (my experience!!!)

Just pray your boy takes to fishing, in preference to football (as per my boy!)

Newsh

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for the advice.

Will definitely resist the urge to spend on loads of kit until I've been back out a few times and got a feel for things again.
Been watching lots of videos and rediscovering many things I've forgotten and also lots of new techniques.

I used to switch between float fishing and fishing the pole, and only occasionally feeder fishing - i see the feeder method is much more prevalent these days!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Greetings and welcome, there are a few good fisheries around the Bolton and Wigan area.
Bolton has Bradshaw Hall, Church Gardens, Jumbles Res.
Around wigan, there is widdows flash at Hindley, Fir Tree fishery at Appley Bridge.
For good info on fishing in your area try giving Leigh Tackle and Bait a phone call.
Dont be afraid to ask questions on tackle etc. There are plenty on here who can help. I would only give advice /views on tackle I have owned or used and my own experiences and not on heresay. Also views on venues I have fished.
Like Golden Eagle says there are a few right answers but lots of opinions .

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for the advice.

Will definitely resist the urge to spend on loads of kit until I've been back out a few times and got a feel for things again.
Been watching lots of videos and rediscovering many things I've forgotten and also lots of new techniques.

I used to switch between float fishing and fishing the pole, and only occasionally feeder fishing - i see the feeder method is much more prevalent these days!

When I first coarse fished "ledgering" was almost considered a form of cheating!

I became quite good at float fishing and followed both series of Billy Lanes float fishing articles in the angling newspapers. I was fortunate to meet him in Denmark as he was one of the Sunday People newspaper (I think, long time & poor memory!) experts and I was one of their monthly specimen fish prizewinners.

Now I find there is more "ledgering" than float fishing in most waters. Anyway, it works and the bigger fish seem to fall for the tactic! After so many years sea fishing I find I have skills that transfer to rivers quite well.

Swim feeders and hair rigged boilies definitely find the better fish, very often anyway. On the Lot I can "dial-out" smaller fish by my choice of boilie size. Hair rigs are usually self-hooking arrangements, so I can sit back and try to be patient. Ignore the plucks and just wait for something over a few pounds to hang itself!

Lazy fishing, but effective. When I was a boy I despised this approach, but now!!!!! :D

My third fish on boilies.....

Chub, Lot. 5lb 8ozs.jpg

Newsh

Reaction score
Greetings and welcome, there are a few good fisheries around the Bolton and Wigan area.
Bolton has Bradshaw Hall, Church Gardens, Jumbles Res.
Around wigan, there is widdows flash at Hindley, Fir Tree fishery at Appley Bridge.
For good info on fishing in your area try giving Leigh Tackle and Bait a phone call.
Dont be afraid to ask questions on tackle etc. There are plenty on here who can help. I would only give advice /views on tackle I have owned or used and my own experiences and not on heresay. Also views on venues I have fished.
Like Golden Eagle says there are a few right answers but lots of opinions .

Thanks - I'm in Westhoughton so Hindley is only a quick trip, will definitely be adding that to the list as well as the others - where abouts is Widdows flash, is that the one just off Warrington Road?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It's the northwest disabled angling water,
Coming from warrington direction, you come to crossroads in Hindley, go straight across the water is about a mile on the right hand side, there is another on the left but cant remember what it's called.
Widdows flash is in Constancia Street. Can park inside fishery, Some good fish in it.
You dont have to be disabled to fish it,
Its fishery pellets only, and no bread allowed,