Reusing rubber float stops.

seth49

Reaction score
I never liked disposing these after one use, now I thread them on too a sewing needle, put the line through the eye of the needle, line through the eye and double it, and put them back on the line like that.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You tight sods, lol. You can buy 600 float stops for two quid from Ali Express.

IMG_6657.png

nottskev

Reaction score
I use those, but not so cheap, off ebay. It's great how they build in little surprises for you - every nth pack, the wire pulls off the green ring before you've pulled the stop onto your line, so you have to wrap the wire x times around a disgorger or something to get the stop threaded. Even so, I don't have the patience to re-used them.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I use them on my barbel rigs above the lead to offer a semi-bolt, it also keeps the debris of, of my rig, I just tie a three turn blood knot onto my new line to re-use em...
PS I'm not a Yorkie, or a Scotsman....

wetthrough

Reaction score
It's as much convenience as anything for me. Snap link and stops go back on the wire ready for next sessio. Although I admit threading the line through a used loop can be a bit challenging at times.

nottskev

Reaction score
I use them on my barbel rigs above the lead to offer a semi-bolt, it also keeps the debris of, of my rig, I just tie a three turn blood knot onto my new line to re-use em...
PS I'm not a Yorkie, or a Scotsman....

I use them for a wide variety of things. But never for fishing sliders, where I much prefer two knots. (Two because you can pull them less tight and they then don't crush the line and move easily).

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I’ve had endless trouble with these and given up using them. Do people only use these for bottom end floats (aside from the bolt rig type stuff) ?

nottskev

Reaction score
I've used them to lock floats, instead of locking shot, when for whatever reason, you want the shot down the line rather than around the float. Eg, to get bait past small fish, or to get float to go with flow against upstream wind. But some of the cheap ones aren't tight on light lines and keep moving. Is that the kind of trouble you've had?

Keith M

Reaction score
I use the slightly larger Drennan rubber stops as a light leger stop for barbel when using half oz leads or smaller see pic:
before Drennan bought them out onto the market I would use two rubber float stops.

I only use them more than once if I’m getting short of them and I can’t get to a tackle shop before my next trip out.

Keith

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I've used them to lock floats, instead of locking shot, when for whatever reason, you want the shot down the line rather than around the float. Eg, to get bait past small fish, or to get float to go with flow against upstream wind. But some of the cheap ones aren't tight on light lines and keep moving. Is that the kind of trouble you've had?
To be honest, it’s the getting them on the line bit I’ve struggled with. when I get them on they are fine but jus seems overly finicky compared to shot.

Last edited: