Review and Competition - The Little Book of Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
'The Little Book of Suicide: 77 Reasons to Kill Yourself. In Verse.'

Am very discusted by this subject on an angling OPEN forum. (or if it was in a closed one)
G.M. Have you thought of the members that has lost love one's by suicide.

IMHO I think that you have lost the plot here.

Jimmy.

I

Ian Cloke

This (ANGLING/FISHING) site has gone way down in my esteem! How anyone can justify this is beyond my comprehension.

I would be grateful if Graham, or a moderator could delete all my details from this site, as it is not the place I believed it to be.

preston96

Reaction score
I think there are over reactions here.....the author himself dedicates the book to his brother, who commited suicide.

The book is his way of facing it head on.......noone has to read it, or this thread.... i found the fishing poem slightly funny but not offensive.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Having lost two very dear friends to this very topic, as I'm sure others will have, I find this thread offensive and in very poor taste.

No matter how you try to sugar coat it, scratch the surface and it's still misery.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I think this is being taken alittle out of context.........

For those who are that appalled - why post on here and keep bringing it to the top???

"Am very discusted by this subject on an angling OPEN forum. (or if it was in a closed one)
G.M. Have you thought of the members that has lost love one's by suicide."

Surley Jimmy, its no different to the debates we've had on here regarding illness, accidents ect - which others have been affected by? Not to mention some of the 'jokes' in that section - which recieve little complaint.

Like I've said - its not a topic I think is great, but the best thing about this forum is the fact it is 'open'. I would not want that to change. Just ignor the thread if you don't like it..........

I would be grateful if Graham, or a moderator could delete all my details from this site, as it is not the place I believed it to be.

Ian, I'm a little offended by that remark (and maybe others also). It was not so long ago that a number of us were planning some fund raising to ensure you could have equiptment avalible to you, if your illness stoped you logging onto FM - Not the place you believed it to be, just because you disagree with one topic? :eek:

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surley Jimmy, its no different to the debates we've had on here regarding illness, accidents ect - which others have been affected by? Not to mention some of the 'jokes' in that section - which recieve little complaint.

Like I've said - its not a topic I think is great, but the best thing about this forum is the fact it is 'open'. I would not want that to change. Just ignor the thread if you don't like it..........

Mark: OPEN as in for all to see. (members and none members)
But what I have said is;
Think for one moment for the members of FM that has lost love ones to sucide.
IMO it's bad taste putting this on the forum, and as a member of the forum said why don't we talk about the rapest etc etc on the forum, ok we should as long as he/she is an angler.
How long would that last or would it be deleted. ???

Jimmy.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Ian, I'm a little offended by that remark (and maybe others also). It was not so long ago that a number of us were planning some fund raising to ensure you could have equiptment avalible to you, if your illness stoped you logging onto FM - Not the place you believed it to be, just because you disagree with one topic? :eek:

Mark said: Ian, I'm a little offended by that remark'

As you say Mark: You don't have to read it.

Jimmy.

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
Surely someone who is able to write a book on suicide isn't really the best qualified person for the job?

In bad taste; but so is this thread. :(

preston96

Reaction score
Surely someone who is able to write a book on suicide isn't really the best qualified person for the job?

In bad taste; but so is this thread. :(

Now i would have thought that if anyone who had the incling to write such a book then surely someone who has lost a loved one and felt the shock frustation and pain was the ONLY person qualified to write it.

To discuss suicide has for many years been something akin to not mentioning cancer, ignore it and it may go away, it doesn't and it wont.

We all face things in our own way, that doesn't make this thread bad taste or ruin a superb fishing site....it just provokes thought on a subject that has touched many of us at some point.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Paul,

The discussion of Suicide and the affects it has on the people left behind that have to deal with it, are not a subject that people should shy away from, i agree with that.

If this is the Authors way of dealing with his torment of what happened then that is fine, everyone deals with grief in different ways.

I for one am not saying that the Author and the Book shouldn't have been published, but, i do think that it should not have been put on to FM on the back of that it has one poem in it related to fishing. The other 76 have nothing to do with fishing.

How many FM members are going to rush out and buy this book ?

If enough FM members feel that this should not have been put on the site, and they find it distasteful, so much so, that it has to carry a bloody great big warning on it, then that alone says that something is wrong.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Hmmm... Interesting.

How many FM members are going to rush out and buy this book ?

How many FM members would rush out and buy any other book that was or has been reviewed on here or anywhere else?

How long is a piece of string?

No one can judge the tastes of another based his own personal preferences.

In my opinion humour and satire can have no taboo subjects - if it did then where and when would it stop? Almost anything could be construed as innapropriate by someone.

People fought long and hard for democracy and freedom of speech across the world - and some are still fighting.

I have every sympathy for anyone who has lost someone close to them under any circumstances, and I can appreciate why some would not wish to read the book or anything about it; but we cannot censor other people based on our own sensabilities.

Reaction score
Let me make it clear. I am not offended by this thread or the book. Clearly the book is a humorous take on suicide, but how many of the 60,000+ (or the 100 or so regulars) FM members would find it interesting? It's more niche than angling!

I just think it is an odd and inappropriate book review and competition for FM - the FM that is trying to become more angling orientated in its content.

I could put up a picture of a couple of naked girls with their legs akimbo and justify it by saying that they both smell of FISH, hence it's relivance to FM.

Just becuase the book has one poem in it that mentions fishing in some way doesn't make it relevant in my view.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Laughter - The Best Medicine

Perhaps I could refer one or two of you to these websites:

Laughter and Grief

Laughter Therapy and Cancer

Before anyone says, "yes, but if you'd lost someone to suicide / cancer / whatever, you'd think of it a lot differently."

No I wouldn't, as I have lost family and close friends to both, including one friend and one family member who committed suicide and a son who died from cancer.

Now I don't expect everyone to feel the same as I do about using humour to relieve grief and stress and any of the other sh*t that life hands out to all of us at some time or other, but I would expect you to allow others to use that therapy if it's right for them.

Just as the author of the suicide book gained strength from writing it, there must be many others who will gain strength from reading it. Why should we deny them that because there are others who don't?

As for the threat about posting similar humour about rape, murder, suicide, death, illness, disfigurement, race and religion, etc, etc, you're too late - have you had a look through the joke threads in Bait Box lately?

To those people who are threatening to have nothing to do with FM if this thread isn't removed, well, I'll be sorry to see you go. But there is one wee chap who keeps turning up like a bad penny every time he sees a chance to have a go at me who I hope stays around for some time to come as he's the (unintentional) humour I need to get me through the stress of upsetting people with threads like this one.

More seriously (unfortunately, as I'm a big believer in humour therapy) could I suggest that anyone who is likely to be offended by the book and this thread, should heed the warning, and not read it.

Surely then, we can all be happy?:(:eek:

Reaction score
Graham

As I said earlier, for me it's not about the thread or book being offensive (I don't think it is) - I just don't understand the relivance to FM, especially as you have gone to great lenghts to make the site more angling orientated.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Dark humour is this particular author’s way of dealing with a very personal subject. Is it a subject for a fishing forum, why not? We have had heated discussions on here about diverse non-fishing subjects before. The very fact that some members feel so strongly about it surely makes it worthy of an open debate, or are we saying some subjects should be censored?

We have moderators on FM who are constantly scanning for postings, which are offensive, and/or in bad taste, are we saying that this thread should be deleted for those reasons. If so where do we stop?

As an example, those of you who have been to see the likes of Bernard Manning and Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown will have laughed your heads off at a stream of racist and sexually explicit jokes, so that’s alright. Go to a Jimmy Carr show and you will see people squirming in their seats at some of the images he projects, but their still laughing.

A company I worked for booked Bob Monkhouse for a private function. We sat down in keen anticipation of an evening’s entertainment, and were treated to 90 minutes of absolute filth that left many completely open mouthed, in fact stunned at what they had heard (and certainly not expected)

Humour comes in many forms, and not everybody will find everything that is supposed to be funny as humorous. Is suicide such a subject? Well the author of this book thinks so, and as it is a subject so close to him I think he has shown tremendous courage in compiling these poems, As I said before if it brings just a tiny moment of light relief into the life of just one person having to deal with the aftermath of a suicide, then it was worth the effort.

The way forward? For my part, I would want Graham to see if the author can be contacted, perhaps through the publishers, explaining that the book has generated a lot of debate on here, and if the author has a favourite charity or support group that helps people dealing with suicide, then they can have £20 of my money any day. Anyone care to join me……????

Reaction score
Anyway, I think I have said enough on this. The FM team clearly think the book review and competition is relevant enough for a front page feature. FM is their baby, so hey, who am I to question the feature?

The whole episode has got me all depressed and I started to think about topping myself. So, I'm off to finish my self off. I going to shove one of those large window opening hooks up my back side and I'm going to yank out my bowels. After the pain has died down I'm going to fry them (while still attached) in some olive oil and then eat them them with a rocket and balsamic salad all washed down with an SA Pinotage. I'm not opting for a quick ending. What if I change my mind? Quick endings don't have a cooling off period.

I tried jumping off buildings a few times. However, I have a very large stretchy scrotum (like Graham's) and I can never resist the urge to whip it out and use it as a parachute.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
That's a very well thought out post Kevin and yes, I'll try to contact the author and there's 20 quid of my money to his favourite suicide support charity from me as well.

Did I, McWallet, really say that? Good god, I nearly topped myself.:)

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

I have a very large stretchy scrotum (like Graham's)

No I haven't, I have the b*lls to fill mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.