Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:…River Ribble above Preston
Date:…25/10/10
Time fished:…18:30hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Light cloud, bright moon breaking through mid session.
Water conditions:…EA net river level @ 15:00 @ NJR 0.42M ANSL and steady. (0.17M corrected for ANSL)
Air temperature:…2.7C rising to 5.3C by the session.
Water Temperature:…6.3C
Bait:...Sweetcorn, Bread Flake, 3-B Boilies, halibut pellets and cheese & curry paste.
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn and bread flake, liquidised bread and sweetcorn in feeder, downstream rod halibut pellet and or 3B Boilie with Cheese Paste and Curry Paste, loose fed halibut pellets and 3B Boilies,
Results:…3lb-12oz Chub
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Although it was a pleasant evening it was also very very quite with just the one bite and one fish, which came to crust and cheese paste. With a bright moon breaking through mid session this was the kiss of death for my chances of catching a chub and with the water temp just hovering around 6C little chance of getting any sport with the Barbel.

Reaction score
Date 27.10.10
Section River Ribble
Time: 5.30 pm till 10.00pm
Weather conditions: cloudy
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.81 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Boilie or pellet with breadcrumb/pellets in feeder
Air temp 12.2C @ start of session
Water temp: 9.1C @ start of session
Result: 2 Barbel

The river had been rising during the morning before we arrived so i knew we would have problems again with leaves etc.Spoke to one angler who confirmed problem with leaves, he had been there all morning and had a Barbel to 6 lb.I cast to the far bank with my first cast to test the water and had a bite within 45 seconds but lost it at the net.
Luckily only had to wait an hour for the first Barbel 5 lb 13 oz caught underneath rod tip as the conditions would not allow us to fish any further out due to debris collecting on feeders etc.Inbetween showers which made the swim i was fishing too dangerous to continue ,i managed another Barbel same weight as the first but minus an eye.
During the last 2 hours the level dropped around a foot .Moved to a flatter swim more sheltered but with conditions as they were decided to call it a day.A friend who i was fishing with managed two Barbel also both around 6 lb.

Reaction score
Date 30.10.10
Section River Ribble
Time: 5.30 pm till 10.00pm
Weather conditions: clear skies slighty cloud later with no moon
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.21 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Boilie or pellet with groundbait in feeder and flavoured pellets
Air temp 9.7C @ start of session lowering to 4.5C towards end of session
Water temp: 8.8C @ start of session lowering to 8.1C
Method : 2 rods ,one fished upstream and other to nearside bank
Result: 1 Chub

Conditions looked perfect when we arrived and with the water temperatures still up i was expecting abit of action.The swim i chose is better fished when the level is alittle higher ,but i decided on this swim so that i could keep close to the guys i was fishing with rather than fishing further afield.
Fortunately just before packing away a Chub around 4 lb made an appearance on my upstream rod which had the hair rigged flavoured pellet to save the day.The flavoured pellets introduced to me via a friend have turned out to be successful so much so i have just ordered the other 2 varieties to try.
My friend in the next swim managed three good sized Chub all between the 4 and 5 lb weight.My other friend fished the swim which normally produces good results and again it proved to be the most productive.He ended up with 3 Chub and 3 Barbel the biggest being 9 lb 13 0z all caught before 8 pm .
Hopefully my next plannned visit later in the week will be alittle more productive,though the banter we had more than made up for the quiet session i had.

Last edited:

Paul C

Reaction score
Date: 7/11/10
Time fished: 13:15 – 18:00
Weather conditions: Bright, sunny, cold.
Water conditions: about 2 foot up but very little colour - .77m at Ribchester
Air temperature: 9c falling to 2.5c
Water Temperature: 9c falling to 7.8c
Bait: pellet
Method: Single feeder rod
Results: 1 Barbel of about 5lb and a 5lb 2oz chub

Brief description of the session & remarks: The river was dead until just before dark. Just one chub reported and the river was rather busy. So much so I had to walk quite a bit further than I’d expected.
No signs or indications until I noticed a few shudders at 4:30. Caught the barbel 15 mins later and it was a further hour before I had a very nice chub.

The temperature dropped fast and I called it quits when my fingers went numb.

Reaction score
Date 12.11.10
Section River Ribble
Time: 4.30 pm till 10.30pm
Weather conditions: cloudy ,breezy with occasional showers and no moon
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.84 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Boilie or flavoured pellet with groundbait & micro pellets in feeder
Air temp 7.5C @ start of session lowering to 5.5C towards end of session
Water temp: 6.4C @ start of session lowering to 6.2C
Method : 2 rods ,one on feeder and one on lead with pva bag both fished close in

After trying unsuccessfully to fish on Thursday in 80 mph gales having forgot to check the weather before setting off to fish i thought i would try my luck on Friday.
Managed the first Barbel 5 lb 3 oz just after 6pm caught two rod lengths out as it was difficult to fish further out due to leaves again.The second followed 30 minutes later which went on a good couple of runs and made me think it was going to be a double but tipped the scales at 8 lb exactly both were in pristine condition.
There were a few showers in between and weather was still breezy .I was expecting one or two more fish but it all went quiet.My friend managed a 7 lb Barbel during the last 15 minutes .We had the stretch to ourselves .

Reaction score
Date 16.11.10
Section River Ribble
Time: 4.15 pm till 8.30pm
Weather conditions: clear sky ,occasional cloud with three quarter moon
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.39 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Boilie with groundbait & hemp in feeder & Maggot feeder with maggot hookbait
Air temp 4.7C @ start of session lowering to 3.2C towards end of session
Water temp: 4.6C @ start of session lowering to 4.0C
Method : 2 rods ,one on feeder and one on maggots with maggot feeder

As the sun had been shining during the day and had felt warm i made a last minute decision to get some maggots and head off for a short session.
First Barbel arrived within 35 minutes 7 lb 5 oz quickly followed by another Barbel 30 minutes later weighing 4 lb 10 oz .Glad i invested in a pint of maggots as both fish took a fancy on the upstream maggot feeder.With the water temperature down the barbel were a welcome surprise and as the thermometer cost me nearly £90 i know its accurate to within 0.1 C .I like to keep track of the temperatures especially this time of year when it goes cold.Once the sun had disappeared everything went quiet.I felt my chances were pretty slim so packed up earlier than usual just after 8 pm as having left my thermal boots in the car my feet were becoming increasingly cold.Hope my next visit at the end of the week is as successful.:)

Reaction score
Date 19.11.10
Section River Ribble
Time: 4.00 pm till 9.00 pm
Weather conditions: Dry ,cloudy later on which partially covered the moon
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.37 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Pellet & maggot hookbait with groundbait and hemp in feeder
Air temp 3.9C @ start of session rising to 4.8C towards end of session
Water temp: 5.7C @ start of session lowering to 5.2C
Method : 2 rods ,one upstream maggot hookbait ,downstream on pellet hookbait
Result: 4 Barbel and 1 Chub

Another good session in a swim which always produces.All fish came within a two hour period between 5 and 7 pm.
First Barbel 5 pm 3 lb 15 oz .
Second Barbel 5 .50 pm 4 lb 10 oz .
I changed my upstream rod over to pellets as this was what had caught the first two and was rewarded at 6 .20 pm with a 5 lb 13 oz Barbel.A Chub around 3 lb made an appearance 30 minutes later.
I then lost a big Barbel through my own mistake with a hook pull having reeled it too far back to the nearside bank slightly downstream as i had lost track of its postion and was positive it was above the 8 lb mark.Then lost another fish before finally landing the biggest of the session at 7.05 pm which was an 8 lb 10 oz Barbel.
Yet again the Barbel increased throughtout the session something which has happened on more than one occassion.
All the Barbel bites were not the typical type ,just a slight twitch then sat there motionless especially the large one which i ended up losing so attention watching the isotopes was needed instead of hearing the baitrunner set off running .
The same peg fished by a friend two days later produced 6 Chub .
Pity that cold weather has been predicted this week but hope to snatch another visit inbetween work.:)

Reaction score
First session of 2011 and Happy New Year

Date 6.1.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 3.45 pm till 8.45 pm
Weather conditions: Dry and partly cloudy
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.52 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Cheesepaste hookbait with breadcrumb in feeder
Air temp 4.5C @ start of session nearing freezing towards end of session
Water temp: 2.7C @ start of session lowering to not taken
Method : 2 rods both on feeder upstream and downstream
Result: 1 Barbel

First outing of the year ,found myself to have the river to myself with no one else venturing out.Chose a swim which usually produces the most fish and was not disappointed when i hooked into my first and only fish of the session a 5 lb 9 oz Barbel at 4.10pm.Had around 5 or 6 taps during the session along with the bait being picked up and dropped but no fish.Was really eerie to be alone on the bank due to the lack of noise apart from the occasional geese flying overhead.Packed in earlier than planned when my net had started to freeze.When i got back to the car the roof was covered in frost and my doors difficult to open due to the drop in temperature.Car temperature gave a reading of -0.5 so glad i packed in when i did.All in all a good start to the new year along with an unexpected Barbel.

Reaction score
Date 18.1.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 4.00 pm till 7.45 pm
Weather conditions: Dry ,clear sky with a full moon
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.60 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -Cheesepaste,boilies and garlic spam hookbait with groundbait in feeder
Air temp 5.8C @ start of session
Water temp: 4.5C @ start of session
Method : 2 rods both on feeder upstream and downstream
Result: 3 Chub

With a day off work i decided to make the most and get out on the bank for a few hours .The bank was deserted so i settled into a swim and managed a Chub within the first five minutes around the 2 lb weight using the garlic spam.Another fish followed fourty minutes later to cheesepaste this fish was around 1 lb.The biggest Chub just under 5 lb caught with a boilie hair rigged came just before 6 pm.The air temp seemed to fall not long after and with the arrival of the moon light shining like a headtorch upon the river i decided to head for home .

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Re: River Ribble

Had a morning out today, just above London Road bridge.
One eel on cheese, another guy near had an eel and a trout - on pellet.
Water running through very fast, a ton of weed on the line every cast.

I gave up when it started to rain.

Reaction score

Date 9.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 5.30 pm till 11.15 pm
Weather conditions: dry ,sunny ,partly cloudy
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.72 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -micro pellets in feeder and pellet hookbait
Air temp N/A @ start of session
Water temp: N/A @ start of session
Result: 3 Barbel

Tried my luck yesterday ,after reports of lots of people being on the bankside i ventured out expecting crowds to being surprised when i arrived only one car parked up.
Ventured upstream for a change and settled into a great flat grassy peg ,face paced water .coloured looked perfect.
Hooked into what felt like a double early on to get it to the net and lose it ,somewhere in the four pound region.
Was struggling with the fast pace and having only a 6 foot landing net handle did not help as i lost the next 2 fish and snapped my Korum rod top section so its now a 3 piece instead of a 2 piece.
Landed my first fish just after 9 .30 pm ,4 lbs 9 oz whilst listening to my friends report of him having just caught a Barbel .
Then two more in quick succession soon after 5 lbs 4 oz and 6 lbs 7 oz.
Apart from the broken rod ,enjoyed the session and will certainly make the effort to walk further to the more scenic swims .
Weed was still a problem ,hopefully that clears away soon.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 10.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 4.30 pm till 10:20 pm
Weather conditions: dry, partly cloudy
Water conditions : up 2 to 3 foot and coloured
Bait - Hemp, caster, corn & pellet
Air temp N/T
Water temp: N/T
Method: Float & then single feeder rod later.

I’m not sure if there’s anyone out there still reading this or if I'm taking to myself here and this no longer serves any purpose? Anyway, here goes. Quick update of my season so far…

3rd session on the float this season and 3rd time I’ve bombed out on it. Very frustrating! There have been some decent roach showing but it seems very patchy. I had a few fish on both previous trips, but not enough to call it entertaining.

The river caught me out today as the level on the EA website showed it was only a foot up and falling. Clearly the Ribble valley had some rain early Sunday. I was further north driving home and didn't see a drop. I arrived to find it was more like 3 foot up and chocolate colour and I was now probably on the wrong stretch for the float!

I wasted several hours in two different areas, half knowing I would struggle, so eventually the feeder rod had to make an appearance, dropped in over the line I had been feeding and running the waggler through. Within 10 mins I had a barbel. Quickly followed by 3 more.

Clearly my hemp and castor was bringing fish to it, but not the chub, roach and dace I was after.

3+ hours on the float for no bites, no fish and then I had 2hrs 20mins on the feeder and finished with 7 barbel!

But I’d have sacrificed that anyday for a decent float session….

Last edited:
Reaction score

Thanks Paul,

I certainly read and enjoythese reports...and I suspect so do quite a few others. Can't see me getting onto the Ribble until early autumn....indeed new job may find me on the Dee (which I've never fished)and Upper Severn more often than the Ribble for my river campaign this season.

guest61

Reaction score

Thanks Paul,

I certainly read and enjoythese reports...and I suspect so do quite a few others. Can't see me getting onto the Ribble until early autumn....indeed new job may find me on the Dee (which I've never fished)and Upper Severn more often than the Ribble for my river campaign this season.

If you need any info on the Dee esp the 'club' waters let me know.

Mark

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Date 10.7.11
I’m not sure if there’s anyone out there still reading this or if I'm taking to myself here and this no longer serves any purpose?

Yeaph Paul, I'm still reading it m8 :)

The bad one

Reaction score

What's happened to John C? Not seen or heared anything of him since last winter. :confused:
He's not gone over to the darkside has he ?
And yes I still look in from time to time Paul ;)

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 19.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 6.30 pm till 10:20 pm
Weather conditions: Odd showers and overcast
Water conditions : River call showed it was about 2.5ft above NSL and falling
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Water temp: N/T
Method: Single feeder rod
Results: 4 chub and 2 barbel

Quick session after work as the river was in flood over the weekend. Fished for an hour and had one chub, so I decided to move a little further upstream. It seemed to pay off as I had a barbel within 10 minutes, but then it went quiet for a spell before I picked up 3 more nice chub with lots of tap, bangs and knocks in between fish.

As the light went, the barbel moved in and I lost one on the edge of dark. The following cast I landed one just over 6lb and then next cast lost another with the hooklength parting. I think the feeder jammed on a rock as the fish took line and the inevitable happened.

I’d love to have stayed, but work the morning after and a curfew meant I had to leave just as it started to get interesting.