RIP Harris Angling.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
After many years of using Harris Angling for their exeptional range, value and amazingly speedy service, I have come to the end of the road. Since they have become Harris Sportsmail the service has declined to such an extent that I simply will not be using them anymore. An order which should have been despatched ages ago is still "being processed" and chasing e-mails go unanswered; it really is sad to see what was a great little company being taken over and then ruined. I hope Sue and her husband made some money from the takeover, but they must be very disheartened to see their baby being destroyed. I'm posting this in case anyone else who remembers their previous reputation is tempted to deal with them in the future. You have been warned!

Y

yoggy

Sad that Jim, I`ve had various items from the old Harris Angling and always had good service. Since it`s been took over though I havn`t ordered anything from them.After hearing this it`s probably just as well!!!

J

jon helyer(PAC, ACA)

They were supposed to produce a catalogue after the takeover but never did, I don't bother with them anymore..

C

Cider Bob71~PAC~

On the bright side,I bought a couple of rods from Angling Direct in norwich, and was amazed by the friendly,quick service.

Two rods landed on my doorstep 22 hours later.

B

Budgie Burgess

Must admit my only dealings with them since the Harris's sold up was just before Xmas.Got a half price Greys jerk bait rod.Turned up real quick couldnt fault it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Is there a connection between Angling Direct in Norwich and Harris Sportsmail? I didn't think so. I placed an order with Angling Direct last year and same as you - next day delivery.

That's also how Harris used to be.

I'm holding back any further criticism for a little while since I have been in dialogue with someone at Harris. I sympathise with your disappointments though.

keora

Reaction score
I ordered some lures just after Christmas and they came after a few days. The person I spoke to said there was a backlog of orders, hence the slight delays.

I don't think Harris Sportsmail offers the range of lures that the original Harris did. And the Harris's large and extensive coloured brochure has been scrapped.

I think that generally Harris Sportsmail offers a reasonable service.

PREDATOR

Reaction score
I USE TO BUY LOADS FROM HARRIS WHEN I FIRST STARTED PIKING BUT WHEN IT CHANGED IT WAS,NT THE SAME ANYMORE
STUFF COMING LATE OR TAKING YOUR MONEY AND IT WAS,NT EVEN IN STOCK IE" AGES FOR DELIVERY

i drifted over to brundell angling had no probbs yet

captain carrott

Reaction score
the harris range of stock has gone right down the toilet since they changed over.

for some reason they only seem to have a lure in one size anymore and it's the same size as everyone else. but to top it all they now appear to be more expensive than everyone else as well.

T

The Piker

Such a pity as they USED to be very good indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!.

captain carrott

Reaction score
to illustrate a point they used to have the rapala shallow shad rap in 7cm and 9cm at least now they appear to only stock the 9cm version, why is this it's not as if rapala have stopped making them in 5cm, 7cm and now only make them in 9cm versions.

M

Mark Hodson

Never had a problem with them myself, you have to look at the bigger picture, nearly every mail order company has its off days, put a company on this site and someone somewhere will have had a bad experience with them for whatever reason. Its like line, you find one you like, you stick with it because you trust it until it lets you down. You then go looking for something else........and the circle starts again.

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I've had a couple of orders with them recently, including a greys baitcaster for ?35(!)and everything has been fine. I particularly like the fact that there is no postage with smaller orders.

Maybe you were just unlucky - or I was lucky?

Steve

Bob S

Reaction score
Same here, ordered the obviously very popular Greys jerkbait rod and a couple of lures which all arrived very promptly in time for xmas.
The old Harris was better in many ways but I suppose all good things come to an end.

W

Wolfman Woody

I can't understand that Jason. Particularly since they're owned by Masterline who are the importers of Rapala.

david nye

Reaction score
i would only pay with credit card not debit card as they might be going under, i had a bad experience with a dvd,cd company and got stung and this what they were like never able to get them on the phone and piss poor service be warned we wil just have to waiit and see if they are going under because i noticed their pike rods wychwood were very cheap and their fox pike and that makes me wonder if they were gettin rid od stock before the liquidators get there hands on them

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
They've been in touch! A lady called Emma mailed yesterday, over a week after the despatch date they originally gave me, to tell me that my order has been lost. She promises that it will arrive today. We shall see.

It's good to hear that others have been getting the old Harris service although it seems I'm by no means the only one who has noticed a decline. My comment about them possibly "going under" was, I should point out, pure speculation and I have no inside information as to the health of the company. It's just that there are some worrying signs. And unless they pull their socks (if they still carry socks) up I can't really see too bright a future for them. Still, the only way is up.