RIP Harris Angling.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
My order arrived as promised, so well done Emma. However, one item is marked as being despatched direct from Masterline and hasn't arrived yet......

hotburrito

Reaction score
i was gonna order a greys jerkbait rod off them. ?4.95 postage supposedly, it took until the last stages of the checkout process for the real postage to be revealed ?11.95.
i live 20 miles to the south of glasgow so i thought that was excessive.
i got the same rod delivered from angling direct for 8 quid.
when ive been "window shopping" for lures on harris it says its free delivery even when you put your postcode in, i suspect that would change once you started to check out like it did with the rod.
i'll be using lure shack, ebay or the U S of A from now on.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
Yes, the days of free delivery from Harris are long gone. Mine cost me 4.95 on top. I wonder if Masterline will try and charge me for the direct delivery as well. I know what my guess would be.

B

Budgie Burgess

Dont think I paid more than a fiver for P&P on the rod I got for my brother? will check.

I always thought Harris were very expensive but then I had always been used to buying my lures direct from thr US.I also remember when Mike and Sue first came on the scene selling the Kilty "Heron" spoon (and not much else!) It was a tribute to the excellent buisness and service they offered that they did so well despite the high prices.Like they say you dont realise what you have till its gone.But once again my only dealing with the new regime was very good.

Anyone know how the Harris's got on with their proposed tropical/carrabean fishing holidays venture?

ian hewett

Reaction score
A question to Jim Pullin 2 were you ever involved with Southend Fish Finders in the early nineties?

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I've had free postage on anything (esp lures) that is small enough to go through the letter box - maybe Scotland is different?

captain carrott

Reaction score
I must apologise to harris about their stock, it looks like rapala mihgt have stopped making em. certainly masterline only have the 9cm shad raps in their catalogue, no mention of the smaller ones.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
Hi Ian. No, that must be another Jim Pullin. Unless he's ben left an enormous legacy by somebody, in which case it is most definitely me. And my package from Masterline has just arrived. No extra delivery charge as far as I can see. So it all got here eventually, but a long way short of the old Harris service. Will I use them again? Dunno.

W

Wolfman Woody

Thanks for posting that link, Colin. As I remember, Chris had a health scare just before they sold up and I always thought that was one of the reason for selling and moving, but nice to see them both doing well now.

Sue Harris

Reaction score
Hi everybody, Sue Harris here.

I saw a question about how our Caribbean venture went. Well, we are happily settled in Belize and have a lovely small (two cabana) fishing resort, Steppingstones, which we built ourselves.

Several of our ex customers have been down to visit, and Steve Pitts and Mike Ladle included us in their DVD set on fishing in the Caribbean.

The fishing is wonderful. Probably some of the least pressured and most varied sea and freshwater fishing in the world. In particular we have maybe the most prolific permit and bone fisheries anywhere. Plus good old fashioned hospitality and Harris value!

Very happy to hear from any of our old customers/friends, you can find out more on www.steppingstonesbelize.com

All the best from sunny Belize,
Sue and Chris

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
Hi Sue and Chris, Great to hear that you are doing well in a beautiful place. It looks fantastic and I hope to get to see you sometime! I wonder if you could give me some advice though. I've been looking for a basic book on sea fishing in the tropics for a mate of mine who has moved to Kenya. I seem to remember you had various titles on offer in the much missed Harris catalogue. Could you point me in the right direction? I've googled with no success. But please don't spend more than a minute on this; those permit won't catch themselves!

Sue Harris

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

There isn't really one book that we can suggest, we have never found one all embracing book on the subject - someone should write one (not us I hasten to add!)

Lefty Kreh's "Salwater Fly Fishing" is an excellent book even if you are not a fly fisherman, lots of the comments on fish location etc apply to all methods. Check out books published by Frank Amato publications US, one good one is "Blue Water Fishing".
It's a question of getting a bit of info here, a bit there. Australia and of course the US is a good place to look.

You friend could think about subscribing to US mags Shallow Water Angling and Sport Fishing - the latter has an article about us in the February edition, out now!

Would love to see you out here some day.
Oh, we also have a blog, www.steppingstonesbelize.blogspot.com which we keep up pretty regularly.

All the best,
Sue

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
hi,
its nice to hear sue and chris are doing ok.
i allways loved there service and the brill catalogue that came with it!! but i have ordered from sports mail and have had a very poor service, i have had long waits for tackle that they say is on its way, and then when you think its not coming they charge your card without consulting you first......weeks later!!!!
never had such a crap service.
god bless sue and chris.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry to dig this one up yet again, but I have just received an Email from Harris -

"All of the items in this order have now been shipped. To track and manage your orders use the My Account section by clicking or visiting this link: http://www.HarrisSportsmail.com/MyAccount/MyAccount.aspx Thank you from the Harris Team. http://www.HarrisSportsmail.com"

Great!

Except that the ordered items were shipped on 26th January - over 7 weeks ago.

I think I've received them already, but I'm always happy to have another lot. :)

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

my last two lure orders from harris sportsmail have arrived within 3 days,post free on orders over ?20 too!
good to see that sue and chris are still out there fishing!

W

Wolfman Woody

THE VERY LATEST -

I had an email announcing a sale of various carp items from Daiwa and had a nosey through. There was a Daiwa Infinity Stif Rig Wallet fro sale, medium or large.

At the price I thought I'll have some of that thinking I was buying a rig wallet that is stiff, but long - like 15 inches long.

Instead I'm sent this thing, which is 12 inches long and has lots of bars in it for short stiff rigs. Having complained the woman says that what's on the box is what I have got.

Yet I see on the dreaded nasty Ebay, they're selling exacly what I want (slightly dearer) and in the very same design of boxes. Clearly labelled with a picture of the inside of the case - ideal! Too late though.

Of course, I can return it to Harris for a full refund, yeh and lose ?1.75 in postage. So I've now told them I shall not be buying from Harris Sportsmail ever again.

Sorry Sue, whatever good will you created has gone down the swanny.

B

Brendan Ince

hi sue
where abouts in belize are you i served there for 1 year years ago and can recomend the fishing evan i caught a very nice fish there off st georges kaye ( not sure if thet spelt right ) it was a 25 lb barracude the fight on thet fish is something i still dream about
i used to know a guy called marvin on kaye corka who showed me how to find lobster in the mangrove
you are living a dream sue and i hope it will last forever good on you please have a rum and coke 4 me
best wishes brendan
i was know as quincy then