River Carping

C

Carp Angler

Have you ever had a concerted effort in pursuit of river carp?
I had some good success on the lower Stour/Avon a couple of seasons ago.

Is it the last frontier in pioneering carping, pursuing those un-named, unknown beasts?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I must admit I've never made a concerted effort for river carp but I do know that one river carp I caught from the river Vienne in the French Loire Valley was, and still is, the hardest fighting fish I've ever hooked. The spool of the reel literally smoked as the fish took almost 100yds of 15lb line in one burst and bent a 3lb rod like it's never been bent before or since!

It weighed 14lb and was a long, slim, muscular wildie. And boy, was it wild!

S

Stewart Bloor

I'm sure that some of our rivers would throw up real surprises. In fact, some probably do, they're just not reported. This season I've had a 23 from the Great Ouse and a 12 from the Severn, both caught while after other species.

P

Philip Inzani

I Caught my first river carp from the river Wey about 10 years ago one Jan or Feb...it weiged about 6 pounds and as I was after Chub you can imagine what I thought when I first hooked it!
Since then I have fished quite a bit on French rivers and one thing that really has come home to me is that in many cases the fish are of the most amazing quality. Back in May I witnissed a really big fish caught right in a built up bit of Paris...not exactly the most tranquil or clean area being surround by buildings and having untold amounts of crap thrown in but that fish was without doubt the most impressive Carp I have ever seen, reall really healthy and clean. It surprises me that in many cases the banks of rivers with some fantastic fishing are deserted while a nearby pit is crammed full of bivvies. I agree that the potential is untapped.

P

paul williams

This year my barbel fishing was put on hold for a while when i found that our local(Midlands)river carp were very catchable, only the surface has been scratched, to be honest i didn't believe some of the reports of the 30lb+ carp from these rivers but i am begining to change my mind.

J

Jim Smith 2

I'm a new member, so no pictures of recent fish.
Hmmmm...Yeah...river Carp. I'm yet to nail into one yet but have my eye on a huge shoal that reside in a large midlands river. These fish are huge, the largest on which is a common that is scarey. I was fishing with my sister last summer and we saw one of them close and she threw down the rod and refused to fish...yes they are that big!!! My, mate has had a twenty from close by. I suppose the really important thing is local knowledge and seriously baiting up. So, Three weeks before the start of the season I'm really gonna hit the vitalin, then fish with a large boilie - after trickling in a good few of the weeks. I'm optimistic but nervous cos if i catch the big common all hell is gonna break loose. River carping IS gonna be my summer. So, watvh out an see what turns up on my photo album!!! Well, gotta stay optimistic.

Lucky fish 2 ya.

J

C

Cakey

Cant wait Rik
Lee Ian and Fat Alex plus myself are only doing rivers this season with a 30+ koi being my main target
anyone else ever seen a river koi ?

N

NottmDon

I had a small double figure mirror from the Trent last season whilst targetting barbel, the fight it put up was well in excess of its size, a real brutish fish that made my arm ache. If the babrbel and chub as well as bream are putting weight on the way they seem to be on the Trent I can see no reason why carp wont follow suit. Perhaps they would be a bit leaner than their stillwater cousins but then again a lean mean fighting machine is something nice to ponder about.

C

Cakey

oh yeah ...didnt look at the dates ......I'll let you know how I get on in 5 years time

B

Big Rik

ok

it'll probably be commercial carp river fishing by then and we'll have reverted back to wild and unfished lakes

N

NottmDon

sounds like my worse nightmare B Rik but it may well happen someday.......