River Charente in France . where to fish

calvadosdave

Reaction score
I am holidaying near ruffec. i want to fish the river charente for bream barbel , and similar. Where along the stretch from mansel to ruffec and up to Chivray would people advise trying. somewhere away from the crowds that i can access with a 4x4, and catch bream , barbel etc.

john step

Reaction score
We have a couple of members living in France. Hopefully one will read your request.
However when holidaying in France in the past I found an hour or two recce with a map did throw up some good spots, particularly with access to a 4x4.
I doubt with a river that size and a rural sized population you will encounter many anglers away from the towns.
Those large scale Mitchelin Yellow maps are usually for sale in supermarkets and show all the small byways and out of the way spots would be your best bet.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Good advise above. You can also get the much larger scale IGN maps if you know pretty much where you are going to find places to access the rivers (sometimes the most challenging thing). Buy a license in a local shop / tabac and ask, but generally the locals don’t fish for bream or barbel.

Philip

Reaction score
Pelamid may know round that way better than me but I would also agree with the above ...google maps can be handy as well. Your unlikly to run into crowds.

There is quite alot of Cat1 fishing round that way, basically Trout/game so do check before you fish as they can be a bit picky about what you can and can't use.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
1 post asking for something & then seems to have disipeared without trace.

@Clive

Reaction score
Pelamid may know round that way better than me but I would also agree with the above ...google maps can be handy as well. Your unlikly to run into crowds.

There is quite alot of Cat1 fishing round that way, basically Trout/game so do check before you fish as they can be a bit picky about what you can and can't use.
A bit late replying to this, but it is in my 'patch'.

The Charente in that area is well beyond the Catagory 1 zone. In fact the Charente is Cat 2 all the way down from its source. Bizzarly though the Fisheries Dept release trout in the river in spring right down to Savigne and there are some Cat 1 rivers that confluence the Charente including the mini chalkstreams known as the Touvre and the smaller Son-Sonette that enter the Charente a lot further downstream at Gond-Pontouvre and near Mansle respectively .

Where the op was looking is chub and barbel water where the river meanders lazily through pasture land and splits and reforms creating narrow channels and islands. There is limited access and a 4x4 won't give much benefit down there as the river runs through enclosed farm land with few tracks allowing access. There are specific parcours de peche at Charroux and Savigne, but these aren't particularly good places. In August you will struggle to find a good stretch that isn't full of picnicers and bathers. The best place is downstream of Mansle near St Groux, but in August that will be full of carpistes as it is an area where night fishing is allowed.

To find the best places I use Google Earth initially, but I have the advantage that my work allows me to reccy the likely places and sort the wheat from the chaff before setting off to fish it. Holiday makers don't have that luxury.