River Colne, Rickmansworth

sampras43

Reaction score
Has anyone fished this stretch in the last month or so?

If so, how's it fishing?

Please PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks

sampras43

Reaction score
I was there this afternoon. High,coloured & bombing through. Never had a touch.

Thanks for the reply

How were you fishing it?

I'm a new UR member and looking at places to start. With this weather I'll most likely use a bomb or small feeder.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was there yesterday and caught 2 chub both around 5lb. I used a maggot feeder filled with hemp and caster with red maggot or worm on the hook....
Both fish came from far bank slack water areas.

neil1970

Reaction score
I was there also:D

First time on this stretch, first time using a quivertip.

I was lucky to speak to Simon (PC) the night before and he shared his tactics
with me, which definitely helped!

I managed a small Chub of 2lbs

first swim (0)

second swim (1)

possibly the worst fish pic ever:eek:mg:

time to go home

Here's some cracking photos taken by Simons mate of his chub that day.

Last edited:

sampras43

Reaction score
I was there yesterday and caught 2 chub both around 5lb. I used a maggot feeder filled with hemp and caster with red maggot or worm on the hook....

Do you cook your own hemp or buy pre-tinned?

Hook size for the worm?

Whole worm or cut?

Apologies for the questions..;-)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You forgot to ask what rod and reel he was using!!

Add a smilie or two here..

Neil1970......Are you sure that's not a cardboard cut-out in your landing net??

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's getting too bloody crowded for me.............................;)

Don't worry Jerry it's members only innit! I only saw 2 other anglers apart from me and my mate and one was Neil, God knows where Skippy was? Wrong bit obviously... Lol. ...

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Do you cook your own hemp or buy pre-tinned?

Hook size for the worm?

Whole worm or cut?

Apologies for the questions..;-)

Dynamite tinned as I am finding raw hemp hard to find.

My choice was Size 18 PR36. For double maggot with a rubber maggot to hold them on..

Single Dendra ( same hook )hooked through the saddle, head nicked off secured by rubber maggot.

Hope this helps..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I used to be a member of UR years ago and from what I remember the river in question used to rise after a teaspoon of rain (much like the Loddon!) so to find fishable spots AND whip out a couple of very nice chub (chublets?) after the recent influx of water says much about the ability of some to 'read' the water IMHO....

It's only a 30min hop from my home so a renewal might be on the cards and it would make a nice change from the Loddon and those damned 12/15lb barbell!

A very, very good roach river from memory..................................and that same memory tells me parking was a big problem(?)

Of course I wouldn't dream of fishing the swims of the above posters, which are probably marked with 'keep out' signs anyway.......I know what 'long standing' members can be like!

sampras43

Reaction score
Don't worry Jerry it's members only innit! I only saw 2 other anglers apart from me and my mate and one was Neil, God knows where Skippy was? Wrong bit obviously... Lol. ...

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Dynamite tinned as I am finding raw hemp hard to find.

My choice was Size 18 PR36. For double maggot with a rubber maggot to hold them on..

Single Dendra ( same hook )hooked through the saddle, head nicked off secured by rubber maggot.

Hope this helps..

It does thank you..:)

I tend to use a bigger hook but then I'm on lobworms. Something like an 8 but I do also hold them on with a rubber maggot or small piece of red elastic band. Also occasionally pop the worm up with air and will be having a go with a friends cheese paste recipe later this week.

sampras43

Reaction score

Had a walk along today and had a look at a few of the swims. Might have a go next week.

sampras43

Reaction score

I was there today for a look around and it still seemed very high and fast to me. How heavy a feeder do you use?

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

I used to be a member of UR years ago and from what I remember the river in question used to rise after a teaspoon of rain (much like the Loddon!) so to find fishable spots AND whip out a couple of very nice chub (chublets?) after the recent influx of water says much about the ability of some to 'read' the water IMHO....

It's only a 30min hop from my home so a renewal might be on the cards and it would make a nice change from the Loddon and those damned 12/15lb barbell!

A very, very good roach river from memory..................................and that same memory tells me parking was a big problem(?)

Of course I wouldn't dream of fishing the swims of the above posters, which are probably marked with 'keep out' signs anyway.......I know what 'long standing' members can be like!

This is my first season on the Colne so just getting to know the water. I guess I've picked the worst season weather wise to start up again. I've had a couple of tries in the last 3 weeks or so. 2 at Ricky and one at Denham. Blanked once and had 2 small chub (2lb). One from Ricky and one Denham. Found it really hard with the current and struggled to find any slacks.

Will try the maggot/hemp feeder approach next time but mine were caught on cheesepaste.