River Fishing

Andy Lee

Reaction score
Hi all, I live bottom end of DERBY near A50 jnc3. I would love to try my hand at river or canal fishing after spending most of the year fishing Weston Moat or Coopers Arms lake. Does any one know of a free stretch of water or canal running from M1 jnc 24/25 East to A38 Burton Area? Most of these waters are owned by clubs and renewal for membership doesn't start until March time. I am going to join a club in March, but until then, I would like to get to know the rivers and maybe fish a little.
Does anyone know any good websites that give hints and tips on river fishing? Most sites I have searched are to do with Fly fishing, Salmon and Trout fishing etc.
I have got a few tips from Matt Hayes on www.homeandleisure.co.uk-fishing
and some Graham Marsden.
Looking for tips like what to look for, do I fish in on the bank or far side, in the slow part or fast running etc etc. Baits to use etc etc.
Did see Matt Hayes use luncheon flavoured with Paprika and Cayenne Pepper and some other type of liquid.

Sorry its long winded but hope someone can help.......

W

William Spencer

you'll get all the help on here bod.
can't find a free venue where you are asking ....but..
j24 m1.shardlow marina it is absolutely bang on this time of year.pole or feeder for roach.this has become my number one winter venue for roach.my best bag last winter was 53lb.it's a fiver for a day ticket.it doesn't get affected by rain like a river does.one little ploy i like to use.whilst fishing for roach throw a small deadbait(smelt/eel section/roach)for a bonus pike,normally when i get a lull it's due to a pike moving in.if you manage a pike i look at it as a bonus,but if you don't you've caught your roach.

hope this is of use to you

Andy Lee

Reaction score
Thanx William,
Been round Shardlow area but could'nt find where to buy ticket.
The main areas I am wanting to fish, are from Sawley to Burton. Bottom end of DERBY seeing as that is where I live. Can't travel too far due to injury to back.
I mainly fish with a Match Rod and Carp Rod. I catch my small fish on a Whip. Must admit that I have never tried dead bait and wouldn't know how to handle a PIKE....

Andy Lee

Reaction score
Heard that CHEESE is a good bait to use. Does anyone have a good bait for BARBEL?
Where do I look for them?
What is the best bait for CHUB? Where do I find these?
I am on a low budget income and prefer to use my own baits. I use bread paste flavoured with custard and have had much success on Weston Moat with this but the fishery is mainly carp and it seems like the other fish are all small...

I will be out this Friday on a reccy. Looking for overhanging Trees, Dead branches, gravel banks etc etc.....But what else am I supposed to be looking for, appart from fish........LOL

J

jason fisher

you could try cheese paste see the paste fishing for chub and barbel thread on here for recipes. or mashed bread with bread paste or flake on the hook.
as for location check the match reports. try the lock cuts on the down stream side in winter when it's flooded.
The trent can be a bit unforgiving when you first start out but that makes it all the better when you do work it out.
there's a lot of fishing on the river that is dayticket as well as being on a club book.

S

Simon Hume-Spry

hi andy i live in stapleford (j25 m1) i only fish rivers really my favourite spots are kegworth deep lock /redhill marine (r soar) /trent junction /erewash river and canal all these places have given me good sport this year now for the free bit . the stretch of erewash canal near to my house is free no one took in on this year the river witch although small has turned up some good chub this year is also free redhill marine is where my boat is moored and if you have a boat you can fish from it for free my buissness partner (and fishing buddy)has just moved in to a narrow boat on shardlow marine so the fishings free there as well if you want to come out on the boat for the day get in touch i carnt promise i can teach you much or garantee a catch but it will be free!!

S

Simon Hume-Spry

and another thing if you go to the hot bread shop in chellaston you can get a sack of semi stale bread for ?1 it took me half an hour in a blender but i got a whole sack for ?15 cheaper than i normally pay!!

Andy Lee

Reaction score
OMG Simon never thought of the Hot Bread shop. Could have saved me thounsands this year LOL.....Never mind eh. You live an learn and if you don't ask, you don't get...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I wouldn't go barbel fishing on the Trent without the following baits: Halibut pellets, boilies of various types, I have had most success with Trigga, luncheon meat, very good in flood conditons and maggots for low clear water.

Try hair rigging your maggots by supergluing two opposite each other on a shortish hair attached to a strong 10 or 12 hook.