River idle.

flightliner

Reaction score
Been for a walk along the river Idle this afternoon. The level and colour are spot on and with little or no rubbish coming down it looks good. anyone out that way or further afield who fancies a go on a river could do a lot worse than here as salt runoff from major highways is never as problematic as some of our bigger rivers that do suffer from the effects of a thaw.:)

bitterman

Reaction score
river idle

have'nt fished the idle for coarse fish for about 10 years as catches dropped right off. Fished it for pike about 4 years ago and had a good day but went back year after and didn't have a run - others on the bank were the same. Has it started fishing well again?

flightliner

Reaction score
Bitterman, I suppose it depends what you are after, you are right of course, catches have tailed off compared to a few years ago , The rivers roach are extremely patchy-- try the lower end-- but the chub and barbel are really worth a go and are widely distributed along its whole length.
Good luck!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I can only speak from a pike perspective, but certainly the pike fishing has deteriorated. As little as seven/eight years ago, the pike fishing was of a fairly high standard, alas not at present.

bitterman

Reaction score

schwendy2

Reaction score
My bigest River pike was off the Idle about 4 years ago at 26lb 6oz.

Ive always loved this river since I was a kid and catching that fish meant a lot to me for that reason.

Havent fished it for a couple of seasons now as the Pike fishing has really gone down hill while the trent just gets better and better

Rich

flightliner

Reaction score
Since my first post on the condition of the Idle the snow as gone and the river has flooded, but today a walk along its banks shows that the levels are dropping and are good with an acceptable amount of colour.Just as i was heading back to the car i saw a good fish roll for a piece of floating bread------.

flightliner

Reaction score
river idle

Had a walk along the Idle again this morning by way of a recce. some six inches of extra water in with a bit of pace and colour but spot on for the roving angler using bread- worm etx. May go in the morning:)

bitterman

Reaction score
Had a look myself this afternoon, looked a bit too coloured and pacy to me but I have'nt fished it for years so you may be right. If you don't mind let us know how you get on as I'm fancying a trip myself later in the week.

Also had a look at the torne, it had been run off really low but still highly coloured and going through like a train. may be ok later in the week if they shut the gates!