River Itchen Grayling day

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Claudia , i might be able to help you out on the abu reel front as i've recently upgraded one of my abu 506's with a mk1 abu 507 (same shape but bigger) i'm halfway through pimping my spare abu 506 (reconditioning/restoring it) i've put back the anti-reverse pawl and cleaned up the friction plates & gear's (its fitted with the faster gears just like the 506M) so the drag is now as good as new and i'm about to do a re-spray on the pain't and fit a new cowling or re-furbish it (pain't it) ready to sell on E-bay but i'm willing to give you first choice,and if your not bothered by a little scuffing to the paint work on the reels body & cowling you can have it for ?30 and if your prepared to backwind (much better for trotting) i can remove the anti-reverse pawl ( the handle is already aligned with the lowest point of travell of the spool,giving improved line release ) it is also fitted with the shallow match spool.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Chavender, I could have done with you about 30 years ago. I ruined several ABU's trying to "release" the backwind !!

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
its easy you just take all the parts out of the reel put them in a bag and shake vigorously then put them back and you should be left with a bit thats the anti-reverse pawl.no it's easy (when you've done it a few times) its just a matter of a total strip down & rebuild of the gears.

C

Coops

Abu closed faces.... I've got one of them in the garage somewhere. Forgot I had it. I will have to get it out and give it a twirl.

As I fish almost exclusively for barbel nowadays I've forgotten what treasures I have wasting away in the garage. What a waste! It will be nice to get the old Normark float rod out again too.

I'm really looking forward to this, the change will be like a holiday.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Quick question.
The Itchen,very deep,very wide,very fast ?
What would be a good float, a small Avon crow quill ?

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Thanks Mark, too narrow for my new 15' float rod ?
Just got some crow feathers off ebay, just need some balse and dope now.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Just picked it up from my local tackle shop, same model as before Paul.
I was hoping to use it on the Itchen.