River Itchen, Swaythling

P

Paul Houghton

As a kid I used to visit my grandparents close to this stretch of river. It was free fishing and I caught my first river fish, after many hours of trying using my solid 6ft fibreglass rod and everything else that went with it.

I would dearly like to re-visit, so if anyone has any details about baits, tactics etc, I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Paul

C

Carp Angler

Most of it is still free fishing.
Woodside walk, where the pitch and putt is, is a reasonably decent stretch.
East access, parking and comfortable fishing.
Trotted maggot for the roach and dace scores well.
There are some humungous dace in there, British record proportions, along with some decent pike.

C

Carp Angler

When you come down for the grayling, we can have a day over there as well.
Haven't fished it myself for about 10 odd years, but I keep my ear to the ground as normal.

P

Paul Houghton

Cheers Rik, I'm hoping to do it early Jan. Is the pub down there still called The Swan? I'm sorry but, I ain't been fishing there for almost 20 years. But, I can still remember watching the most beautiful roach in the shallows and not being able to tempt 'em. And, when I say beautiful, jeez the fins on those fish were fantastic.

Cheers,

Paul

C

Carp Angler

Yeah, the pub is still there.

If you walk downstrean to the bridge, there's a big slack above it.

Go under the road bridge and downstream from there is lovely glides and streamer weed, with farbank trees and cover.

There are a few bends with back eddies etc, but fish it properly and you should be able to tempt a few.

Let me know when you're coming down and I'll see if we can meet up.

P

Philip Inzani

....a bit further on from the bridge you will find a short section with concreate on both banks with some good Perch under the near bank. Also a bit further on from there is a good far bank slack with some good Roach, Chub and loads of little Grayling.

A

Alan Cooper

This thread is a revelation to me. I have always thought the Itchen was 100% private, 97% trout. As a lover of all chalk streams - I'd love to fish it. But fellas, where is Swaythling - I've never heard of it!

C

Carp Angler

It's below Eastleigh.
Sometimes known as Mansbridge.
The stretch in question is known as Woodmill
People know the Woodmill pitch and putt, if you want more specific directions let me know.

P

Paul Houghton

I also believe there is a free strech in Winchester, not sure about coarse fishing here though. Anybody have any knowledge?

David Shields

Reaction score
I have fished the free Mansbridge - Woodmill - Gaters Mill stretch of the Itchenfor about 30 years and for those in the know it is amongst the best coarse fishing you can get. I have had Chub to over 6lbs Roach to 2.5lbs Dace to 1 lb Carp to 12 lbs (many bigger specimens have come out) Bream to 4 lbs . Give it a try with bread , maggots , corn - almost anything will catch at some time.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
David, where would you suggest the best chub and grayling spots are? Around the Mansbridge Road Bridge perhaps?

I have a fishing pal who has never caught a grayling or chub and I promised him a shot at this stretch.I have fished it a few times but prefer the tranquility of the day ticket Itchen Fishery above Gater's Mill. My oppo's financeswoulddictate the free fishing stretch is preferrable.

With all this rain I would imagine the river is tanking through like minestrone soup at the moment but it's bound to fine down soon!!!