River Lea Hertfordshire

mikench

Reaction score
For some reason I must have missed series 3 of Mortimer and Whitehouse and the episode on the Lea. It looks a very picturesque place and a nice little river. Who has fished those locations on the Upper Lea and that section near a weir. Is that where Alan and Rob catch their barbel?

Reaction score
No Mike,I believe it is downstream of Bayfordbury(excuse my spelling if it is incorrect),which is a few miles downstream of Hatfield... Im not sure who owns it but it could be the red spinners or something similar,a very exclusive club that has waters across the country...

PS,the club is the red spinners Mike,they have a website...

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Its was the middle lea part of Bayfordbury university which was private fishing in my day.

Hertford was my home town there’s some nice stretches of the old rive lea that where good for barbel, when I live there a lot of the rive was run by (HAA) Herts angling association, or Vauxhall angling club that also had the lea, Mimram and river Bean

theartist

Reaction score
Had some great days as a lad at Hertford, fishing Dic(k)er Mill, some good roach back then and the adjacent Beane used to fish well in winter yet no one seemed to fish it despite being free, I swear the Beane held the dace record once further upstream at Waterford? Then I moved on to Stanboro lake stretch, which was awesome but had a walk around it last year and talk about neglected, it was such a shame as that stretch like most the upper Lea is chock full of fish, now there's only two or three swims, all they care about is the lake and the revenue that comes from those carp fishing it. I still fish the free stretches of which there are a quite few between L**** and Hertford if you know where to look, as well as the club bits where you can encounter the Common Whitty chirping from the riverbank, plus the Lesser Spotted KeithM. It is a great river but getting smaller and smaller year on year like all the others in the region.