River Lot, France. June 2020

bleak

Reaction score
Last week I took delivery of a new Chromebook laptop. My first one had too small a screen for serious viewing but this new one makes photo work a real pleasure.

As I use Google Earth a massive amount I found I could do a project on it and add photos, videos and links to my own personal map. Here is a screenshot of what I ended up with....

View attachment 9383

I now have a map with the fishing places I have found, over about a three hour drive of the river Lot. Along with slipways, local info videos from Youtube and interesting stretches still to be explored - Google Earth seen with a good laptop screen is a wonderful tool!

Yesterday I tried a new swim at Bouzies, along with a fishing buddy. No bites at all! On the way home we stopped at a swim we know often fishes well and caught several barbel to 4lbs.

My first fish was a bream of about 2.5 lbs. It was a bit sickly and bore some recent scars.....

View attachment 9384

I have a suspicion it may have had a brief encounter with a silure. Any other suggestions?
I had one in similar condition from the Dordogne. I am certain it was a silure that did the damage . I'll try and find the photo.

bleak

Reaction score
Hi , thanks to Pelamid(Steve) for the description of the “brittle”method, I had been wondering what it was, and had not been able to find out from our local very trout orientated guys. I had been thinking it was a ban on floating crust or casters!
To build on the licence issue, I think it is incredible value at 100€ per year to give access to thousands of rivers and lakes across France including the option to take up to 6 trout or 3 pike per day. Fortunately the “No Kill” movement is growing strongly amongst younger anglers.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that waters “free” on carte pêche are also public waters and may have multiple usage which might be frustrating, but it’s a big country, there’s usually somewhere where you can get away from it, the department where I live, Correze, has a population density of 48 per Km sq, with dozens of lakes and rivers, of there’s a lot of fishing per person!
Fishing Magic French fish in sometime?
( will catch up with you soon Steve, when I’m not up to my armpits in tiles grout and plaster......2022!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I live have lived south of Bergerac since 2001 , put a request on FB many years ago to form an expat discussion and not one reply. It is really good to see all the new interest that you blokes are firing up.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I live have lived south of Bergerac since 2001 , put a request on FB many years ago to form an expat discussion and not one reply. It is really good to see all the new interest that you blokes are firing up.

Well that’s at least 3 of us in SW and relatively close in French terms, area around Cahors looks like it might be reasonably central to us for a meet up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I'm in. I have only ever fished in the sea over there as I have a deal with er indoors that France( Nice in my case) is a coarse fishing free zone. Times change though. ;)

I have a mate who runs a gîte in Lauzerte( the Lot) and has access to a large lake. I need an excuse to go see him again.