River Lot, France. Recent short trips.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It has been a struggle to find fish recently. River is in low summer conditions and there has rarely been any flow. I was passing one stretch on my way to Cajarc last week and noticed there was almost a torrent coming through. A bit further on I spotted the hydro- power station was gushing out water.

Did my bit of shopping but then hurried back to wet a line (telescopic rod in boot, but no net!)

The flow was just abating but still winkled out two 4lb barbel and a small silure. I had to fish the slipway swim as I could (gently!) beach the fish and unhook them whilst they were in the water. I usually use barbless hooks or squash the barbs with pliers, with their tough mouths it makes release so much easier.

IMG_20200630_121609421_2.jpg

Had another barbel further down river two days ago, around 4lb again.

Today I had two hours at the river. No flow, no bites! But the view always makes up for a lack of fish!

IMG_20200708_114121872.jpg

On the negative side, the 35 c temperatures have brought out a few horseflies. Usually get them before they get me. Here is one I killed earlier....

IMG_20200627_123905740_HDR_2 (1).jpg

Nasty crittures! Their mouthparts consist of two double edged sabres (one side razor edged, the other serrated) a hollow needle for injecting saliva and a pippet device for sucking up the released blood.

Just thought I would share that with you! :eek:

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Over here on the Dordogne, the barbelling has picked up, as the water levels have dropped they seem to have come back to the deep (6ft) glide that starts at the bottom of the garden. Picked up 3 in about 4 (evening ) hours last week. My plan of fly fishing got thwarted by poor hatches and being held to ransom by the dog, and my plan of an early morning tench session got thwarted by much needed customers. À bientôt.
feb90b0e8a043f320748506ddca0a3f7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Hi Roger, must be great having barbel in your garden swim!

Most of the shallows on the Lot now have bathers. There seem to be many more this year, probably after lockdown they are desperate to get out!

I tried a weir further upriver in the search for some flow, great looking spot but very snaggy....

IMG_20200711_193517370.jpg

I felt confident that when the sun was setting I would get fish. Two good bites and no hook-ups was the result!

Probably I should take a leaf out of your book and fish a deeper section.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Hi Steve, the plan fell flat this evening with fishing the last 90 minutes of daylight, no positive bites, no visible predator action, few rises and even the pooch wasn’t bothering to mug me for treats. Weather was nice though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk