River Lot

kevinlouis

Reaction score
Hope to go to the Lot Valley next year maybe near Arcambal.
can anyone point me in the right direction for some barbel fishing please

@Clive

Reaction score
Steve Arnold is your man for local info.

I have fished locally at Bouzies and St Cirq Lapopie. There are plenty of barbel that fall to standard feeder techniques. Just look for moving water. The depth will be there in the middle or on the outside of bends.

Sweetcorn is as good a bait as any, but they will take fishy boilies and pellets too. Just be aware that you can't import cereal based baits into France so you might be better buying them over here. You will need a Carte de Peche. You can buy it online by typing into google the word peche followed by the departmental number, peche46. Then follow the links to this page: https://www.federationpeche46.fr/pratique-de-la-peche/tarifs-cartes-de-peche/

Or get one from the tourist information centres or tackle shops. Just be aware that if you don't pay the extra for the annual interfederal carte you can only fish on the Lot Department bank. The other bank is Aveyron Department. You would require another CdP for that.

Last edited:

kevinlouis

Reaction score
Hi Steve thanks for that info,I fished a bit further east in 2019 a had some barbel from a weirpool.
Perhaps you could show me on a map if that's not to much to ask.
Have you ever fished the River Cele for barbel at all.
Regards Kevin

kevinlouis

Reaction score
Just checked both banks in that area are in dept 46 the Lot

@Clive

Reaction score
Yes, my mistake. It is at Cajarc where the river forms the boundary.

The Cele in the St Cirq and around 20km upstream flatters to deceive. It looks better from a distance than close up and in summer suffers from a lack of flow. There are a couple of places where you can park and find a swim if you follow the road that runs from near the confluence through Cabrerets towards Marcilhac. I have been down there twice and not found a swim that I was happy with.

kevinlouis

Reaction score
I canoed the Cele in 2019 and saw a few possible places,one place we stopped when canoeing was. Deep outside bend and I watched tiny barbel on the shallows so there a probably possibilities

@Clive

Reaction score
Sauliac where the D24 crosses the river was one of the places I accessed. You can park off road near to the junction. And near to the Musee du Insolite. There is also a stretch through the camp site at Cabrerets. I fancied fishing it for ages. But when I actually got there it was disappointing. There are better places especially if you are only there for a week or two.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Hope to go to the Lot Valley next year maybe near Arcambal.
can anyone point me in the right direction for some barbel fishing please

There are many swims between Arcambal and Cajarc, further upriver even, that can be good for barbel. If you check through my forum content you will see plenty of my reports. https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/search/24556/

I fish the Lot almost exclusively, it's my local water and I nearly always go for the barbel. But all the other species fall to much the same tactics and baits so I get my share of bream, chub and carp as well.

Since my wife and I moved here about seven years ago we have explored a lot of the Lot, I have even put together a project of the river, swims and the fishing.

Lot project Dec 21.png

All those place marks have info and/or photos attached to them. I am sure if you visit this area I can give you info about a few swims to get you started.

It takes time to find swims here as there are so many trees, every year each swim changes due to fallen trees and the blasted Japanese Knotweed that is taking the banks over!

IMG_20201015_190103.jpg

If you visit I would suggest avoiding July and August, it's the holiday season here! These months are also too hot for my liking..... the fish don't like it so much either!

This is a wonderful river, but the fishing can be difficult. River flow is so very variable due to the barrages upstream, that flow is often the key to catching barbel. I use RiverApp to get clues about where and when to fish as it tells me when the main barrage is letting out water.

PM me if you are visiting, sure I can help get you started. Then perhaps you can show me how to catch them! 🎣

Philip

Reaction score
Just wondering Kevin.

You have come to FM twice asking for detailed information which was generously given by Clive and now Steve & you then disipear without trace until your next trip and need for info. I seem to recall you only came back to complain the first time about why you didn’t catch...

Do you have anything to share back or contribute to the forum ?

@Clive

Reaction score
You are right Philip. That has just reminded me.

This summer he asked for info on the Vienne. I put him onto a reliable spot. He fished elsewhere and didn't catch.

A French guy on another foum asked the same question. He fished where I suggested then came back complaining that he couldn't land the fish on the light tackle he had brought with him. You can't win 😄

kevinlouis

Reaction score
There are many swims between Arcambal and Cajarc, further upriver even, that can be good for barbel. If you check through my forum content you will see plenty of my reports. https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/search/24556/

I fish the Lot almost exclusively, it's my local water and I nearly always go for the barbel. But all the other species fall to much the same tactics and baits so I get my share of bream, chub and carp as well.

Since my wife and I moved here about seven years ago we have explored a lot of the Lot, I have even put together a project of the river, swims and the fishing.

View attachment 28451

All those place marks have info and/or photos attached to them. I am sure if you visit this area I can give you info about a few swims to get you started.

It takes time to find swims here as there are so many trees, every year each swim changes due to fallen trees and the blasted Japanese Knotweed that is taking the banks over!

View attachment 28452

If you visit I would suggest avoiding July and August, it's the holiday season here! These months are also too hot for my liking..... the fish don't like it so much either!

This is a wonderful river, but the fishing can be difficult. River flow is so very variable due to the barrages upstream, that flow is often the key to catching barbel. I use RiverApp to get clues about where and when to fish as it tells me when the main barrage is letting out water.

PM me if you are visiting, sure I can help get you started. Then perhaps you can show me how to catch them! 🎣
Thanks for the info Steve unfortunately we will hopefully be coming in the end of July and the beginning of August due to school holidays.
So will have to suck it and see.I did fish a spot in 2019 and caught some barbel that was the last week in June and first week in July and it was very hot most days high 30,s and 2 days at 42c,so fished a few hours late afternoon .

kevinlouis

Reaction score
You are right Philip. That has just reminded me.

This summer he asked for info on the Vienne. I put him onto a reliable spot. He fished elsewhere and didn't catch.

A French guy on another foum asked the same question. He fished where I suggested then came back complaining that he couldn't land the fish on the light tackle he had brought with him. You can't win 😄
Unfortunately by the time I asked about the Vienne it was the end of my holiday but will bear it in mind if I visit the same area and thanks for the information I did drive down and had a look but couldn't find a parking spot but will bear that in mind next time

kevinlouis

Reaction score
Just wondering Kevin.

You have come to FM twice asking for detailed information which was generously given by Clive and now Steve & you then disipear without trace until your next trip and need for info. I seem to recall you only came back to complain the first time about why you didn’t catch...

Do you have anything to share back or contribute to the forum ?
This year on the Vienne I done some homework on Google maps and found a couple of spots one was just downstream from where you advised below the barrage.
Your advice was most welcome but as I said it was to late and as complaining that was wrong I just said I didn't catch.
Anyhow I fished nice lake and caught some lovely Rudd up to 2lb.

@Clive

Reaction score
This year on the Vienne I done some homework on Google maps and found a couple of spots one was just downstream from where you advised below the barrage.
Your advice was most welcome but as I said it was to late and as complaining that was wrong I just said I didn't catch.
Anyhow I fished nice lake and caught some lovely Rudd up to 2lb.
The areas I mentioned (from memory) were the bank opposite the campsite at Aixe S/ Vienne and the official Parcourse de Peche that is off the D32 leading from the town outskirts. The first place is sign posted for parking from the Rte d'Osmonerie through the railway arch and the car park is about an acre with never more than 6 or 7 vehicles parked there. The Parcourse has tarmac road of over 400 metres alongside the river and I rarely see more than two anglers there.

It would have been nice if you had shared the info' about the lake.

kevinlouis

Reaction score
The areas I mentioned (from memory) were the bank opposite the campsite at Aixe S/ Vienne and the official Parcourse de Peche that is off the D32 leading from the town outskirts. The first place is sign posted for parking from the Rte d'Osmonerie through the railway arch and the car park is about an acre with never more than 6 or 7 vehicles parked there. The Parcourse has tarmac road of over 400 metres alongside the river and I rarely see more than two anglers there.

It would have been nice if you had shared the info' about the lake.
I couldn't it belongs to the Gite we rented for 2 weeks,you would have to rent the Gite in

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Steve unfortunately we will hopefully be coming in the end of July and the beginning of August due to school holidays.
So will have to suck it and see.I did fish a spot in 2019 and caught some barbel that was the last week in June and first week in July and it was very hot most days high 30,s and 2 days at 42c,so fished a few hours late afternoon .
Well, you have already had a taste of how hot it can be! I know some shady places which offer a chance of barbel, early mornings usually give up a few.

If you are in the area drop me a PM, if I am not away with the camper I would be happy to show you some swims.