river mersey manchester (northenden)

dankay123

Reaction score
hi lads can anyone tell me what the mersey from northenden is fishing like? i want to start fishing here but want to know what catches anyone has had

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
If it's anything like the river further upstream (Cheadle), expect it to be tough. Long fishless stretches, cormorants have seen to that. Pockets of reasonable chub, mostly marked up by cormorants, and an occasional better one, even more marked. There are some outstanding trout, I've had them to 5lb, I've seen pictures of bigger than this.

Good luck

p.s. if I was going to fish it at this time of the year I'd use maggots, fish for an hour in one swim, then move on. Find the fish...

dankay123

Reaction score
which part of the cheadle end would be best to target? i havent seen any cormarants. i have seen herons around the weir at northenden and cormarants were on the island in summer but not seen them at cheadle stretch from kingsway.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Immediately downstream of Kingsway bridge. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not.

bigfish74

Reaction score
fished below and above wier but only had small fish and also upstream from motorway bridge facing caravan park 1 guy tells me he has had some good chub from here under the farbank trees

i fish around carrington as well but still to find bigger fish but have seen some cracking bream rolling just past the wier here biggest iv had from this area was a perch around 1.5lb that threw a minnow up as i was unhooking the dirtry ******

andy