River Roach Rod Advice

clutch

Reaction score
Hello,

With the River season starting, I have had a few sessions on the Severn at Bridgnorth.

Throughout the season, I always get a few good roach, but mainly as a bi-product when targeting Barbel. Today I had 2 decent sized roach when fishing a 8mm pellet. Now, pulling a roach in isn't much fun when using a 1.75tc barbel rod, with 12lb line. And, due to the heavy gear, i think will be missing some of those shy biting roach.

So, can anyone recommended a feeder rod that would be suitable for targeting roach? Or, can advise me on tactics, baits, rigs etc?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your rod choice is dictated by the feeders you are going to employ,if you are going to fish 2/3oz feeders your rod needs strength,likewise if water conditions are challenging,quivers need to be heavier,so lines will be stronger,also,with the possible losses,how will you feel when you have lost your tenth barbel on lighter gear,a very,very difficult question to answer....

clutch

Reaction score
Your rod choice is dictated by the feeders you are going to employ,if you are going to fish 2/3oz feeders your rod needs strength,likewise if water conditions are challenging,quivers need to be heavier,so lines will be stronger,also,with the possible losses,how will you feel when you have lost your tenth barbel on lighter gear,a very,very difficult question to answer....
I would agree with that to a certain extent. However, i wouldn't be targeting roach when the river was up and pushing through. Even when barbel fishing, the seven would have to have a good few feet of water on before a 3oz feeder came out.

I have always believed to setting up your gear for the target species. When i go trotting for dace, roach and chub i use 4lb line. There is always the chance of a barbel...but, if i used my barbel float rod and 9lb float line, not only would me setup be unbalanced, but I just wouldn't catch as many fish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why not float fish for them them?

If the river was low enough then as light a feeder/quiver tip rod as is suitable would be my choice. I'd opt for carbon tips also.
I'd catty out my groundbait and use as small a bomb as possible, maybe upstream leger as you can get away with little weight
The other option would be to use a small maggot /feeder. For my groundbait/attractant i'd use bread cumb, maggots and corn. I'd match that by using bread, sweetcorn or maggot on my hook also.

The actual rod dependes on how much you want to pay.
Drennans range of acolytes are well worth a look if they're in budget.

rob48

Reaction score
As above, I'd be inclined to run a float at them.
For feeder fishing for roach the Drennan bomb/light feeder with the extension piece is decent.

clutch

Reaction score
Why not float fish for them them?

If the river was low enough then as light a feeder/quiver tip rod as is suitable would be my choice. I'd opt for carbon tips also.
I'd catty out my groundbait and use as small a bomb as possible, maybe upstream leger as you can get away with little weight
The other option would be to use a small maggot /feeder. For my groundbait/attractant i'd use bread cumb, maggots and corn. I'd match that by using bread, sweetcorn or maggot on my hook also.

The actual rod dependes on how much you want to pay.
Drennans range of acolytes are well worth a look if they're in budget.

I do float fish for them (well, trot maggots/caster with the hope of picking up whatever is around). But, would like the option to target them on the feeder . For example, when I fished yesterday it was seriously windy, I took my float rod with me, but there was no chance of me being able to control the float effectively. I think having the option for both would be nice. Plus, I do find myself in situations where I might be catching small chublet, dace or perch, and a lighter feeder setup would be preferable to my barbel rods.

Thats good advice, My thoughts were using a small maggot feeder, hemp and corn. So, I hope thats a good starting point.

Reaction score
Rob(the artist)fishes on the Severn at times,he float fishes pellets for the roach.Definitely agree with having gear fitted to your target species...

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know the Severn but I am faced with a similar issue of trying to target Roach but knowing I am going to hook Chub & Barbel.

I’ve been using Avon type rods of @1.25 tc which I think are a reasonable compromise in that situation. They are bendy enough for the Roach but I am still landing the Barbel I hook plus some fairly substantial Carp.

I like Corn as a Roach bait but the problem I find is that its not selective enough if you have a big head of fish as its too soft & wont withstand the constant tugs and pulls from the smaller Roach while you wait for a bigger one to turn up.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Maybe a compromise is possible, I nearly always use 5lb line for my general fishing but it is fair to say I don't have Severn barbel or any barbel come to that but I have landed some hefty fish on it on occasions. Maybe to heavy a line for roach for some dedicated roach anglers and I may have less roach bites but I still catch them and I hate losing fish to a snapped line so, I feel confident-ish if I hook into a bigger fish like a chub or mullet I can land them; in fact it is very rare I get a snapped line and it is more likely to come away if snagged but not always if it is hard snagged. I don't like those ultra fine lines, I am always afraid of breaking them one way or the other. A few less fish maybe but feeling confident about landing them makes up for it personally.
Pushing a piece of crust onto a 14-10 hook with a shot about 2 ins from the hook so the crust just sits up off the bottom I find quite deadly for roach and the smaller roach tend to leave it alone a bit. If they nibble at it a big roach might still come and take it. When you think it may have been nibbled away a bit strike it off, reel in and re-bait, this sets up a trickle of bait and I often find after an hour or so of doing this the fish start to find it. A easier tactic if your float fishing though, maybe a bit tiresome if your feeder fishing. And if your catching them on pellet, they may be better, I would try them more but eels are a problem in many of the river places I fish,
I only use a standard 12ft match rod for fishing for roach which I find does for most fish but again, not for barbel but I could still land one if that was the case and a 5lb line is less likely to snap. Not so good for feeder fishing though but I dont like feeder fishing much, all that weight and sploshing about. I used to do it for barbel fishing on the Avon once but swapped it for just light legering or even free lining a big bait; much more satisfying in my opinion and on days it fished better than a feeder even though they are often deadly and fish get used to them but they snag up and using rods designed to use them, I prefer a rod designed for the fish to be honest.
I find corn selective for roach Phillip in that the smaller fish tend to leave it alone or at least do not harry it as much as bread. My standard way is throw a few small handfuls of mashed up bread in and a small handful of corn and alternate between the two on the hook. If the bread is getting harried to much by small fish I leave the corn on. I find it gives less bites but the fish tend to be bigger.
However, having said all that it is all how and what we find in very varied scenarios and what you like/find/suits best.

Last edited: