River Severn - Quatford

paf66

Reaction score
Gave it a shot from mid afternoon til dusk for Barbel yesterday. Conditions were sunny and hot, but the river had a bit of colour and was rising a little towards dusk, not a touch on halibut pellet and flavoured meat.

Any suggestions for better areas of the Quatford section as looked glorious and was right on the crease with a dabble in an eddy too, but nothing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't offer anything specific to that stretch or river. However, if it's anything like many rivers at the moment, they are likely to be hiding in relatively fast, shallow and well oxygenated areas, or deeper gluides/pools just below such a feature.

reeltime

Reaction score
I used to fish the severn regulariliy , if any water is released from the resevoir in wales it was the kiss of death , the bite totaly shut down

The Runner

Reaction score
If that's the BAA stretch at Quatford ( access down a steep hill opposite the café) then we've always found on our annual week on the Severn that the best areas involve a long walk.
Keep going past the end of the first field (no real field boundary, just a few trees)and after a bit of shallower water the river deepens and narrows. The deepest water is generally well over, a few nice swims with trees in the water opposite and then where it gets even narrower there's a swim with a massive log underwater which used to be the flier but hasn't been so good for us the last couple of years. Just below this opposite the old boat mooring and down to where the river shallows up again is also good . Big roach on pellet all along here as well
I said in another thread that we have been doing far better on small baits, 4 and 6 mil on a long hooklength, so that's worth a try if you aren't already doing it.
Upstream at Quatford aka the Danery stretch seems to have been hard the last couple of years or more. We fished the opposite bank to it one day last week and really struggled for barbel.

theartist

Reaction score
If that's the BAA stretch at Quatford ( access down a steep hill opposite the café)

Don't you just love how steep it is on the way back after walking all the way from the downstream pegs, and just when you think you're near the car too

Reaction score
Don't you just love how steep it is on the way back after walking all the way from the downstream pegs, and just when you think you're near the car too

And you hit tarmac at the bottom of said hill,plus it winds a little bit making it all the more unpleasant,when I fished there I had a basket,or a riva box that weighed a ton,I once walked from Quatford right down past the Erdington brook on the opposite bank and two thirds of the way down to the pumping station above Hampton Loads,this was when parking was iffy,by Christ I slept well that night...

jasonbean1

Reaction score
And you hit tarmac at the bottom of said hill,plus it winds a little bit making it all the more unpleasant,when I fished there I had a basket,or a riva box that weighed a ton,I once walked from Quatford right down past the Erdington brook on the opposite bank and two thirds of the way down to the pumping station above Hampton Loads,this was when parking was iffy,by Christ I slept well that night...

You were just short of the best swims then:)

Reaction score
Yeah and I wore my legs down to stumps...