River Trent in Stafford

Steve2020

Reaction score
Today I went for a walk along the river trent near Stafford, the first port of call was the stretch at Shugborough hall where the bridge crosses the river into Haywood, I had my Polaroid glasses at the ready to do a spot of fish stalking/spotting. what I found was alarming or more to the point what I didn't find, fish. This spot was prolific for most species pre the 2009 pollution scandal which wiped out all the fish in a 20 plus mile stretch from Stoke to yoxall. The EA reported re- stocking the river in 2010 and again in 2011 which begs the question where are all the fish now. I know of dozens of anglers who have completely given up on this once great stretch of water through sheer frustration and anger at how bad things have turned out.
Well getting back to today's walk I tried another spot around 2 miles downstream where there was always plenty of fish to be seen under the bridge near 7 springs on the A513 once again with the Polaroids at the ready and plenty of time for a long prolonged scan of a fair stretch of water, nothing, absolutely nothing the fry and small roach that used to be abundant have vanished even the thousands of fish that were stocked in 2010 and eleven aren't anywhere to be seen. I'm at a loss to explain it just as are so many of the local anglers in and around Stafford, it really is such a sad state of affairs the way this once great river has turned out, furthermore I've absolutely no faith in the environment agency to remedy the situation. However I will compile an email and ask them if they have any information for me regarding exact stocking numbers and locations and whether they have had any feedback off other concerned anglers regarding the lack of fish showing.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

theartist

Reaction score
That's a sad story mate and what's sadder is no one as yet is able to shed any light on those issues. The thing that always gets me regarding restocking polluted waters is that they never re-stock it with the same diversity in regard the size of the original fish and the variety of species that were once in the water.

Also no one is going to notice if the smaller stocked fish are getting wiped out each year from further incidents or indeed the original pollution and its knock on side effects to the environment as they are not fished for.

Polluters should be fined per annum until the watercourse that they have messed up has returned to its original condition regarding aquatic life.

Steve2020

Reaction score
That's a sad story mate and what's sadder is no one as yet is able to shed any light on those issues. The thing that always gets me regarding restocking polluted waters is that they never re-stock it with the same diversity in regard the size of the original fish and the variety of species that were once in the water.

Also no one is going to notice if the smaller stocked fish are getting wiped out each year from further incidents or indeed the original pollution and its knock on side effects to the environment as they are not fished for.

Polluters should be fined per annum until the watercourse that they have messed up has returned to its original condition regarding aquatic life.

It is very sad, I don't think the general non fishing public or the environment agency realise how passionate anglers are about their rivers and waterways in general. It also seems to me that the companies that pollute waterways couldn't give a monkeys, as you suggested maybe they should get a fine annually until the water is deemed to have returned to a satisfactory level.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

rgg120950

Reaction score
Hi steve
I live right by the Trent at little Haywood and today walked along the length of the river between meadow lane and Essex bridge,
As you have already reported I can confirm that with the river being low and clear it is easy to see any signs of fish and apart from the odd roach to 4" and 1 small shoal of fry the river is devoid of fish of any size or quality.
One must ask what restocking has been done since the pollution in 2009 ?

Steve2020

Reaction score
Hi steve
I live right by the Trent at little Haywood and today walked along the length of the river between meadow lane and Essex bridge,
As you have already reported I can confirm that with the river being low and clear it is easy to see any signs of fish and apart from the odd roach to 4" and 1 small shoal of fry the river is devoid of fish of any size or quality.
One must ask what restocking has been done since the pollution in 2009 ?
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply I've had problems with my tapatalk app which meant not being able to log into FM.

It's really frustrating that the trent doesn't seem to be recovering very well from the pollution in 2009 plus as you've already said it certainly begs the question of the EA's stocking policy for this once great stretch of the river.

I used to love having a relaxing stroll along the Shugborough length with a light rucksack and minimal gear, some days I'd have a good catch of 20 or more roach with the odd perch or chub and other days I'd struggle to get a bite but now it seems to be the case of fishing in my bath is about as productive as that stretch of the Trent.

john hooper

Reaction score
I did hear some good reports about the river around stone in late summer, went for a walk and saw quite a few small roach, mean't to give it a try but haven't got round to it. Bit of a run for you but the weaver through nantwich is generally good fishing, chub , dace and roach and the ticket was only a tenner last year.

john

Reaction score
been a walk along the Shugborough stretch spoke to a few locals who say they only really see fisherman on very rrare occasions and when they do they are normally spinning or plugging. Shame looks like an interesting stretch of river.hope the environmental agency manages to sort it out with regards to the restocking program.

Steve2020

Reaction score
I did hear some good reports about the river around stone in late summer, went for a walk and saw quite a few small roach, mean't to give it a try but haven't got round to it. Bit of a run for you but the weaver through nantwich is generally good fishing, chub , dace and roach and the ticket was only a tenner last year.

john
Cheers John I've just joined a new club which is stillwater only, I've had some real bad sessions on rivers of late which has dented my interest for now although I know it won't be long until I'm back on the banks of the sow & Severn.
I'll keep in mind about the weaver. How does one join that club?

willy63

Reaction score
Been to trent near stone to-day{fri].float fished maggot, three bites three fish,chub 2lb and 3lb, barbel 1 1/4 lb .getting better ,plus kingfisher, wrens, and yellow wagtails, can't be bad.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
....Would have been grey wagtails - yellow wagtails being much rarer summer visitors. Grey wagtails do have a lot of yellow plumage on them, though...

Fair do's - the first thing that one thinks of when seeing the bird is "Yellow - and it's wagging it's tail, therefore..."
grewa_tcm9-162236.jpg

It's counter-intuitive to see it and think "it's Yellow - therefore it's a Grey Wagtail!" ;):):eek:mg:

lampro

Reaction score
coming from Stafford my self I have seen a rapid depletion in fish in the trent and worse the sow, these too rivers more so the sow have not been maintained properly for years full of silt and weed the sow over doxey marshes stretch into the town is nothing but a stream, years ago it was wide and deep hold some big chub perch roach and nice pike I used to walk and stalk it on a sunday morning with my dad when I was a kid had had some cracking fish out, but these days you have no chance, the only clear section is in the town park its such a shame that these rivers have been neglected polluted by farmers mest around with by the twitchers on the marshes too create wet lands for birds no wonder kids fish commercials these days and carnt enjoy the rivers that we all once new and loved

Steve2020

Reaction score
Been to trent near stone to-day{fri].float fished maggot, three bites three fish,chub 2lb and 3lb, barbel 1 1/4 lb .getting better ,plus kingfisher, wrens, and yellow wagtails, can't be bad.
That's really encouraging it looks like those fish that were introduced about 5 years ago are coming on nicely, I'm hoping that some of their relatives make their way over to the Stafford stretches :)
Is the stretch you fished free or club water?

jonroy1976

Reaction score
Can anyone update on this? I have fished both the sow at brancote and the trwnt at Weetmans bridge and not had so much as a knock last season or this. 15 years ago i couldnt get away from chubb. I know last year was not great for levels with so much ground saturation but would still love to know if anyone has any info.

hemanzano

Reaction score
River trent at Stone fished me well last year. Chub to 3lb, 1-2lbs grayling, Wild Brown trout as well as a small barbel as caught trotting and on maggot. It looks as though the River is coming back to life.