Rivers and Barbel decline?

B

binka

A recent planned piece of work on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal where the CRT drained and netted a length, finding several brabel that had been stocked years ago by the controlling club, but yet no one had every caught any, they just disappeared after stocking for all that time.

Oh and before someone gets on their high horse about barbel in a canal and it being a Stillwater. This canal has a pull on it as good as some of the lowland rivers like the Ouse, Welland and the like. In times of heavy rain and being one of the highest canals in the country, it gets a lot of rain you can literally trot a float down it.

And you'll need a decent Starlight and a reel with plenty of line on it if you want to see it through that little tunnel at Standedge :)

The bad one

Reaction score
Indeed you would Steve ;) It's a really lovely canal as well around Saddleworth had some very happy times as a youth fishing it. Had my first ever carp, a mirror of about 3lb on caster around 1967. I'd ducked work on the Monday to go fishing for a shoal of bream I'd seen the day before whilst out walking. Didn't even know there were carp in it. Finished up landing 3 out 6 I hooked on very light float tackle. :)