Rivers.. One Rod or Two ???

B

Birds Nest

During a chubbing session yesterday I got thinking I wishes I'd brought a second rod, perhaps for a change bait etc.. what are your views on this, I've only really used 1 rod for my 'sit down' sessions chubbing.. But I use 2 for my tenching (perhaps 1 float and 1 ledger etc) 2 for piking etc.. What do you folks go for ? 2 quiver tip rods or one ???

Just a thought.....

P

Paul Williams

I have no problem at all in using two q,tip rods at all in the right situation, i prefer the fishing to be fast enough for one though! it really is something that only you can decide on, sometimes two rods is a hindrence, sometimes it can genuinly give you more scope, each situation needs to be weighed up. I do however prefer to use similar set ups if i use two rods, that way i don't have to think to much!!

A

Alan Roe

I must admit my preference is for one rod.
Firstly it suits my prefered roving style of fishing.
Secondly I tend to concentrate my thinking and efforts better on one rod.
Thirdly Trotting with two rods would be a thought provoking excerise!!
Quite honestly its up to the individual but if you are barbel fishing and you are busy playing one fish whilst another drags your second rod in don't come crying to me!!:)

P

peter webber

Most of my river fishing is done with two q,tips, i'm not much of a float angler ( must try harder ).
The first will be for bream/chub/big roach baited up with worm.
The second will be baited up with maggot/caster for big roach.
Mind you quiet oftern I get the bream on the rod setup for the roach.
I think it depends on where you are fishing and what for.

N

Neil Wayte

Having spent years sitting behind banks of rods I must admit that I find it hard watching a quiver tip all day and of course I always miss the first bite I get.I find it even harder touch ledgering so watching two tips would be a disaster for me because I would never hit anything.

P

Paul Williams

Flippin eck, you lot all wake up together!! i do prefer one rod for roving, unless i'm piking, but as i said i have no problem using two if i am static, sometimes two correctly set tips actually help you to see them better.
Hey Neal, have you see the new Crunchie ad? how much did they pay you????

N

Neil Wayte

Don't watch much tv these days.I prefer to play on this.Mind you with three women in the house who watch all the soaps I'm thinking of moving the computor up stairs so I don't have to listen to all that mindless drivel.Had to fight the three of them to watch Time Team tonight.Whats the crack with the crunchie advert then.

P

Paul Williams

Theres a guy fishing, and it's you!! you have to be quick to spot it though!! and i suppose it might not be shown in all regions........; You mean to say Time team was on and i've just had to listen to coras!! coupled with my 10yr old daughter telling me why i should buy her another! mobile phone!!!! i would have gone and sat in the back of my van with my little bivvy telly if i'd known!!!!!!

A

Alan Roe

So this is where you lot were hiding!!
Paul you should hold out against the daughter mine didnt get her first mobile untill she was 11!
Have any of you any experience of the new ABU Suveran reel other than reviewing them I have just seen them in a local tackle shop at ?80 each and they do feel nice....But I would like to know if they are as good as they feel before parting with money....!
Cheers
Alan

P

Paul Williams

Alan, i very nearly bought one of the original Suveran reels but opted for a Daiwa, ( one of the shiny expensive ones!) The clutch on the Daiwa has up untill now been superb, even on a par with my "54"...but it aint as old as the 54 yet!......i may be wrong but haven't they started to build the suveran down to a price??

C

Chris Bishop

The only person I know who got one of those Suverans spoke very highly of it. He uses it for lure fishing with braided line. I must admit it does look very fumble-free, but so's backwinding once you get your head round it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There's one for sale in the Classifieds.

It's an original, top quality one too.

M

martin BATEY

I personaly go for one rod. The pickles that some people get into when they have takes on different rods at the same time is hilarious. Once fished with a guy we all called radio rentals. Owing to the amount of ariels he had set up and was fishing with at the same time. Concentrate on one. If that method is slow then switch.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
In some swims on big rivers like the Ribble and the Severn I'll start off with two rods, but it usually isn't long before I pull one rod in.

There is no real logic to the decision at times, it's just that one rod on a river feels so much better.

I think how I feel about it can be summed up with the word 'focus'. I can mentally focus so much better on one rod and that one rod seems much more likely to get a bite.

A

Andy Davis

Just the one, I might take two with me if I am not planning on lots of walking or if I take my John Wilson Avon rod, I always take both top sections

C

Carp Angler

Usually four, but sometimes I'll sneak a fifth one out ;)
But seriously, on the Severn I'll fish 2, but the Avon and Stour usually 1.
It all depends on the swim and method.

P

Philip Inzani

I think it depends on where and what your fishing for and also your mood.

When roving after Barbel or Chub on a smaller river I started fishing with 1 rod then I go the hang of fishing 2 so carried both but did not always use them if I felt it would hinder me in a swim.

Last weekend on a big river after Carp I sat behind 4 rods and did not move an inch.
?.A single rod, minimum of tackle and being an opportunist is still hard to beat.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

When feeder fishing for Barbell I often find my self in two minds as too which is better,one or two rods.Two rods give you twice as much feed going in but some times I feel that it is better to concentrate on just the one and fish it that bit better.Any way done properly putting half a dozen pints through the feeders can be hard work with two rods!