Rivers with canoe problems

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I was interviewed on R4 for the PM programme which was aired last week, some of you might have heard it... Anyway, the reporter now wants to make the issue wider and better known and he's looking for info on rivers with canoe problems - especially eastern England.

If you have contact details for anyone on other rivers who shares the unlawful canoe problem I experience on the upper Wye, can you PM me their contact details please. Thanks guys.

mikench

Reaction score
I missed it Geoff despite listening to PM ! I will search it out but cannot help!!

What date was it broadcast?

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Geoff see this link to the Angling Trust site:

Navigation

Download its 41 page report "Conflict on the River Bank" and then read appendix J, Problems in Other Areas of England.

Perhaps canoeists are attracted to fast flowing rivers, and generally there's more of these in the north, west and south west than in the east.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Geoff! Commendable commentary and I hope your struggle is successful! A few carpers with large leads might help!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was amazed at how bad the problem was a few years ago when I visited Geoff - hopefully things will improve................

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
For this very reason, I won't travel to the wye now during the summer school holidays. I have to say, this summer even my local bits of the thames have been absolutely full of people, swimming, boats, bbqs, you name it. I've spent a lot more time than I would usually have done in the last couple of months fishing on a club lake, good job too as its been really productive. All of my local river sessions have been pretty useless. If I have a trip to the wye in the summer before the holidays start, i'll try to make sure that's on a Monday and Tuesday... and even with glorious weather, you'll still only see a handful of paddlers. The thought of enduring 100+ and hour coming through doesn't really bear thinking about.

B

binka

Coincidentally and very strangely, today I received an email from the Angling Trust to an enquiry I made almost two years ago in October 2016.

It appears to be an update on negotiations with BCU but their attachment won't open so I've replied with a request to re-send it in PDF format so i'll let you know what it's about if and when I eventually manage to.

B

binka

Please disregard the above, I have received an email from the Trust telling me that it wasn't sent from them (despite appearing to have an Angling Trust email address) and it is in fact a bogus email which their IT provider is investigating.

It looks like a clever phishing attempt to me, I'm thankful my anti-virus software wouldn't allow what appeared to be a word document to be opened but maybe useful as a heads up to all.

The fact that I received the email in reply to one I sent them is a little disturbing, someone's either got in at their end or got in at mine... I would imagine it's quite possibly at mine.

Last edited: