Roach Pole

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone recommend a good Roach pole at around 13m. I do have a preference for the flick tip setup. I currently use the Drennan Acolyte 8m whip system and feel now its time to go a bit longer.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hello. Can anyone recommend a good Roach pole at around 13m. I do have a preference for the flick tip setup. I currently use the Drennan Acolyte 8m whip system and feel now its time to go a bit longer.
What's your style of fishing and budget ,.
Personally I would not consider trying a flick tip at that length,

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
What's your style of fishing and budget ,.
Personally I would not consider trying a flick tip at that length,
I would be fishing for Roach and Perch all year round on rivers and lakes. Depths would be anything from 10ft to 18ft. I’m a pleasure angler with a competitive streak always trying to do better than the last time. I’d be interested in cupping in groundbait so a cupping kit would be needed.
Price wise I’m a great believer in buying quality and looking after your gear instead of buying cheap and end up replacing it with the inevitable outcome of shelling out the price of one good pole on two crap ones.
So a price would be a goal to work and save towards.
Why would you not use a flick tip at that length?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Mainly control of fish at that length,
Others may say different,
I would use elasticated topkits,
As for a cupping kit, If you dont get one with pole, you have 2 choices , use a power kit as a cupping kit, or buy a kit from either Garbolino or Preston innovations, these have 2 different diameter sections either 18mm or 22mm and reinforced end for cutting to size, these are extending kits.
As for a pole I would look at Daiwa or Maver , MAP do decent pole at that length.
Fishing at those depths I would enquire about spare number 4 and 5 sections.
Most topkits are around 2.8 metres long

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Check out 2nd hand as well, but dont buy blind,
If budget is say £500 ,you will get a decent 14.5 or 16 metre 2nd hand Daiwa connesuoir G20 for that, £650 possibly Daiwa G50
Or maver signature series, both come with good selection of topkits and a cupping kit.
Check maver occulus poles out,
Like I said depends on budget,
You could pay between £300 to £900 for a 13 metre pole.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
Mainly control of fish at that length,
Others may say different,
I would use elasticated topkits,
As for a cupping kit, If you dont get one with pole, you have 2 choices , use a power kit as a cupping kit, or buy a kit from either Garbolino or Preston innovations, these have 2 different diameter sections either 18mm or 22mm and reinforced end for cutting to size, these are extending kits.
As for a pole I would look at Daiwa or Maver , MAP do decent pole at that length.
Fishing at those depths I would enquire about spare number 4 and 5 sections.
Most topkits are around 2.8 metres long
Cheers mate. You have given me some good food for thought there. Thanks

rob48

Reaction score
If you want a longer whip setup the Browning Sphere Silverlite goes up to 10m and is superb. I nearly bought one but couldn't justify the cost for the amount of use it would likely get. I use the Cadence 9m whip which is very good, having the Top5 telescopic makes it particularly suited to river fishing.
For an out and out proper roach pole (not one for dragging carp through rushes with) I use the Browning Silverlite. I don't know the actual weight but the balace is so good it hardly feels like you're holding anything at 13m. It's also got the fastest tip recovery of any pole I've ever had.
Another aspect of the Silverlite that's suitable for river fishing are the lenght of the top sections. The No1 is long, about 1.5m, which means I rarely elasticate any more than this. The top 2 is about 2.8m and the top 4 is about 5.5m. It's as though it's been designed for roach fishing on rivers, although it's brilliant on stillwaters as well. It comes with a spare top 3 which is over 4m, and another 4 x top 2s.

Last edited:

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
If you want a longer whip setup the Browning Sphere Silverlite goes up to 10m and is superb. I nearly bought one but couldn't justify the cost for the amount of use it would likely get. I use the Cadence 9m whip which is very good, having the Top5 telescopic makes it particularly suited to river fishing.
For an out and out proper roach pole (not one for dragging carp through rushes with) I use the Browning Silverlite. I don't know the actual weight but the balace is so good it hardly feels like you're holding anything at 13m. It's also got the fastest tip recovery of any pole I've ever had.
Another aspect of the Silverlite that's suitable for river fishing are the lenght of the top sections. The No1 is long, about 1.5m, which means I rarely elasticate any more than this. The top 2 is about 2.8m and the top 4 is about 5.5m. It's as though it's been designed for roach fishing on rivers, although it's brilliant on stillwaters as well. It comes with a spare top 3 which is over 4m, and another 4 x top 2s.
Cheers Rob. There’s a lot to buy a pole. I’ll just have to take my time and get my head around it.