Roach Rig Opinions

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
Hi hope everyone is keeping well. I would really appreciate your opinion on the following rig. Mostly with regards to hook length length size and spread of droppers and bulk, choice of float and so on. Thanks in advance.
The details.
Target species Roach of 4oz to 5oz.
Water depth 6ft 3 ½"
Venue canal.
Weather and conditions. Bright at times southerly wind into face the odd gust of wind, little or no tow, a bit of colour in water mild overall.
Single maggot hook bait.
Size 22 fine wire spade end hook.
Sensas Alburnos 4x14 float.
4" hook length of 0.08mm Preston Reflo.
Attached loop to loop to Preston 0.10mm Preston Reflo rig line.
One No.12 shot at the loop to loop.
One No.12 shot 70mm above above first No.12
And a bulk of No.11's and No.12's 70mm above second No.12.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
If going is hard ,try a double bulk,
First one takes float down, second one a little lower then dropper shot kick in, bites can register all way down.
It will work at that depth.
Thanks Mark. Would I be right in saying the thinking behind the double bulk is to create a slightly slow fall while still using really light droppers or is it a case of not spooking the fish with a string of shot or is it again not spooking the fish with a bulk going down through the water too fast? Or is it something else?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks Mark. Would I be right in saying the thinking behind the double bulk is to create a slightly slow fall while still using really light droppers or is it a case of not spooking the fish with a string of shot or is it again not spooking the fish with a bulk going down through the water too fast? Or is it something else?
It works by still getting the bait down slightly slower, but as one bulk settles, the other still goes down to register bites and dropper shot continue as normal.It will also show lift bites.
If you google "Double bulk pole rigs" there a few you tube vids by Drennan and John Arthur . Also written details.

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
I'm not sure what benefit a double bulk offers for roach, but that is most likely down to my own limitations.
Whatever a roach rig is called I think stotz are a useful move. I'd expect to be moving 'em about plenty.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
I like Stotz when fishing a canal but if I'm StickFloat fishing for Roach in moving water I prefer shot. I feel it's more hydrodynamic and less likely to snag bottom compared to the angular edges of the Stotz.