Robert Marrs, rod builder 1886-1964

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
Stuart Maxwell, a Thomas Turner customer has been in touch with a fascinating story.

A rod he bought from us was built by Robert Marrs of Slamannan, Stirlingshire. We see many artisan-built rods, the history appertaining to them can be at best patchy to non-existent. After talking with Stuart, it transpires he has been chasing down the family story and we share a common link through the tackle shop Scrimgeour’s of Falkirk, my local shop in the 70’s.

Stuart writes: Robert Marrs built the rod I purchased from Thomas Turner and I have given it to my son in law John Marrs. The couple in the picture above are Robert Marrs and his wife Jean Clelland. He was born in Slamannan, Stirlingshire in 1886 and lived most of his life in Shieldhill. He worked as a coalminer but sadly his brother James Marrs was killed in the Redding pit disaster in Sept 1923. Some of the rods in the picture belonged to my friend’s father David Leishman who stayed in California next to Shieldhill, Scotland.

Robert Marrs rods

I worked with Samuel Marrs, Roberts son when I first started in B.P. Grangemouth but had no idea his father had built rod’s. Some of these he took to and sold through Scrimgeour’s tackle shop in Falkirk. Robert died in 1964 but his angling legacy lives on through my son in laws dad Alex Marrs.

Robert Marrs rod

He was Robert’s nephew and has fished in Alaska, Canada and all over Scotland. He recently landed a salmon on fly from the local River Carron this past October. The two enthusiastic boys in the picture are my grandsons Cameron and Logan Marrs. Proudly showing their first brown trout caught on fly from Finlaggan on Islay, anglers for life I am sure.

Robert Marrs rod builder

Robert Marrs rods

Recently I found another R. Marrs rod on marketplace which I bought from an angler in Coatbridge. It is a three piece with the aluminium ferrule stoppers. We are having Christmas dinner at my daughters with the Marrs family so will gift it to them then. Have a lovely Christmas and a happy New year.

Many thanks to Stuart for sharing his family story and photographs.

If you have any stories or pictures that you would be happy to share with us, please get in touch!

The post Robert Marrs, rod builder 1886-1964 appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...