Rod missing 2 inches. Is performance affected.

Bigroach3

Reaction score
I recently broke the last 2 inches off my Daiwa Tournament Pro 13’. A good friend found me a new end section. I fitted a new end eye on my broken section. Yesterday I found a big shoal of good Roach. I caught several on my new end section, before getting in a tangle. I tackled back up with my repaired end section but never noticed any difference in performance. Everyone said it would have a big effect on the performance?

nottskev

Reaction score
If it makes no difference to you, there's the answer. You've got two tops for your rod now.
Some would feel they have a good top and a broken one, as Daiwa don't make expensive rods to a plus or minus 2" design.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It all depends on the rod in question, the action and the ring spacing. I have rods that I wouldn't be able to tell at all and some that I would notice. Whether it really makes enough of a difference is debatable. However, I've never been especially happy about using rods shortened from the tip, but I'm not actually convinced that an inch or two makes enough of a difference to most rods.

john step

Reaction score
I lost the top 6 inches from a Daiwa SR something or other 13 foot match rod. The specs say 3lb to 8lb lines.
I think manufacturers are always a bit optimistic. 6 lb being my top end of choice.
With the bit missing the lower end at 3lb bs seems even more unrealistic. Its now a good rod for tench and low end carp which I would say lines of 4 to 6lb the optimum.

In short you will probably find the finer lines not quite right but the upper strengths OK.

Philip

Reaction score
The problem with rods missing a bit off the tip is that it just nags away at me even if in many cases it does not make much difference to the actual performance.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
I recently broke the last 2 inches off my Daiwa Tournament Pro 13’. A good friend found me a new end section. I fitted a new end eye on my broken section. Yesterday I found a big shoal of good Roach. I caught several on my new end section, before getting in a tangle. I tackled back up with my repaired end section but never noticed any difference in performance. Everyone said it would have a big effect on the performance?
2" represents 1.3% of your overall length, so in reality, it's probably going to be such tiny margins that most will be hard-pressed to feel it. If you snap the top of a lure rod, you can up a rod's casting weight a fair bit, but they're usually significantly shorter blanks, so the loss in length and thus stiffness is more appreciable. But as @sam vimes says, ring spacing can be important. Usually it's best to strip back to a ring, sacrifice a bit more length, but not have two eyes - the tip and the penultimate one - so close together.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If you broke two inches off yourself , would your performance be affected ,?
Regarding tip ring and the next one down being closer together ,I have a couple of pellet waggler rods that are like that , rods were not broken , it's how they were manufactured,and both are major brands .

nottskev

Reaction score
If you broke two inches off yourself , would your performance be affected ,?

Which two inches are we thinking of?

With rods, there are at least two different ways to think about this, and another which involves the interaction of the two.

One, chopping a couple of inches off must alter the mechanics ie the way it picks up line, bends under load etc. There can't be no difference, but there might not be much.

Two, like a scratch or a dent on a new car, or a crack on the phone screen, it will bother some that the integrity of the thing has been compromised.

Three, even if the difference is small, some people might just not fish as well or enjoyably with a bit snapped off. I'd be in that category. Gear doesn't have to be the best, the dearest, the rarest, the shiniest ..... but I have to like it and not feel it's damaged. Even if I made it myself from bits chopped off other rods. so it would affect my performance, which trumps the rod's performance.

Wonder what the OP thinks of these answers.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Kev, there is another one , if the tip section broke once , would it break again? That may be at the back of the mind when using the rod , especially if a decent fish has been hooked .
Depends how he broke it. I broke a few inches off mine by stubbing it into the ground when I was in a rush between pegs. Stupid mistake, user error and all that. If OP had a similar misfortune, the idea that the rod might break again in normal use isn't a factor.

Anyway, as nottskev alluded to, nothing from OP for three weeks, so it makes you wonder why we bother. 🥴

Bigroach3

Reaction score
Sorry I’ve been away.Broke mine the same way, moving swims.Interesting views guys. I’ve been using the new top section in open swims & the broken one in tree lined swims just in case. Had several good bags of fish on both, but without any noticeable difference at all. Putting the new tip away as it was painfully expensive. Doing really well on hemp & tares at the moment by the way, regards

nottskev

Reaction score
So that worked out ok then, albeit with a cost. I've often taken more than 2" off a rod and found it a positive improvement. But that was off the thick end.

Bigroach3

Reaction score
Did you find it improved the balance? Been thinking about taking a few inches off the long handle of an old Tommy Pickering stick float rod

nottskev

Reaction score
Did you find it improved the balance? Been thinking about taking a few inches off the long handle of an old Tommy Pickering stick float rod

Definitely. Old Daiwa's had too long handles imo, and I've chopped a bit off most brands - Shimano's, Preston's, TriCast's. I've a couple of 15' rods with shortened handles and a bit of weight in the butt cap. They feel just right to me. I never bought the idea that you need a big chunk sticking out past your elbow - I want the useable length in front where it's doing something. When I started fishing, the top rods had 24" handles! Ridiculous. It's rare you need the (alleged) leverage for casting. On the odd occasion I've had rods custom built, I specify handles shorter than standard builds. Some might think it's sacrilegious or reduces re-sale value, but I buy to use and don't hesitate to modify handles, reel seats etc.

Bigroach3

Reaction score
Will try it with my trusty TDR 2508. If it feels right I might try it with some other Daiwas. The butt always seems to get in the way. Will post the outcome. 👍

peytr

Reaction score
I've been using an old feeder (quiver) rod with a few inches missing from the top end, put on a new top ring and it still is one of my favorite rods.

Is it of any influence? of course. Is it a disadvantage? no. Would I have a replacment if available? absolutely!

trotter2

Reaction score
Maybe manufactures are missing a trick they should make rods two inches shorter and know body will notice the diffrence 😅😉

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I agree with Chris(Sam Vimes)it is entirely dependant on the rod in question,some rods would be entirely ruined,others unnoticeable,,use it as a spare,use it as first choice,it matters not...👍