Rod queries.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have seen for sale a brand new unused 13' Shimano Aspire Ultra Match for sale complete with labels etc and case I think the price is £120 plus p+p
Also there is a 15-17' version with a spliced tip, again unused but no case, similar price plus p+p
Or both for £200 plus p+p
Does anyone have any info or experience of these rods and are they worth going after.
All info greatly appreciated .Thanks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Aspire Ultras were top of the tree in 2014. By 2015, Shimano were drawing their horns in a bit and culled all of the top end float rods from their range. The Speedcasts went from third in the range to top, and had a substantial price cut. The Aspire Ultra and Fireblood were cut from the range.

The 13' Aspire Ultra had an RRP of £379.99 and the standard 15/17' £419.99. Actual prices were likely to have been about £300 and £350 respectively. They'll be decent rods, if a little weighty compared to the very lightest available.

The customised spliced tip 15/17' model certainly piqued my interest.

nottskev

Reaction score
Bought all 3 shimano rods Kev. Did a bit of searching for reviews and also read catalogue you sent ...thanks.. so for the price of 3 it was to me a bargain.

Lovely, Mark. So pleased for you :)

Let me know if the 15' doesn't suit. Swap you for one of my Diaflash poles.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oooohhh.... that is so tempting Kev, I will see what it's like on the Thames, it's about 6' to 8' deep in parts here, some like a canal with very little flow and other parts have slow glides.
I bought it to fish the Thames ,so I will see how it goes on, and if I dont like it ,will do the swap.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The Aspire Ultras were top of the tree in 2014. By 2015, Shimano were drawing their horns in a bit and culled all of the top end float rods from their range. The Speedcasts went from third in the range to top, and had a substantial price cut. The Aspire Ultra and Fireblood were cut from the range.

The 13' Aspire Ultra had an RRP of £379.99 and the standard 15/17' £419.99. Actual prices were likely to have been about £300 and £350 respectively. They'll be decent rods, if a little weighty compared to the very lightest available.

The customised spliced tip 15/17' model certainly piqued my interest.
Sam,the 2 aspires are unused,and in hard cases, and as stated the Speedcast belonged to Jan Porter.
The spliced tip Aspire was made for a Shimano sponsored angler ,possibly those who fished the Trent.and was never collected.
Having all three for £300

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam,the 2 aspires are unused,and in hard cases, and as stated the Speedcast belonged to Jan Porter.
The spliced tip Aspire was made for a Shimano sponsored angler ,possibly those who fished the Trent.and was never collected.
Having all three for £300

I saw them when they first popped up for sale.;)

nottskev

Reaction score
I tracked them down from your post about seeing them on "another forum" and asking for info. But I couldn't buy it til you'd decided not to. ( As a liberal leftie do-gooder) Which you didn't.
14m, Mark.......

mikench

Reaction score
Diaflash ah ah saviour of the universe
Diaflash ah ah it will save everyone of us
Diaflash ah ah it's a miracle
Diaflash ah ah king of the impossible.

I need a new rod but one that is utterly and palpably irresistible to fish. What would you recommend.?:ROFLMAO:(y)???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike, if you are still hungry for another roll of carbon, check out this titan to match your avenger....

Then there is this team 2000 microlite with red whipping and gold tippets, which is now a rare rod....

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Ian but I was only joking; I have more than enough rods. A microlight would make up the trio but that one has lost a couple of inches from the tip.