Rod Recommendations

B

binka

Hi Folks,

Having today trodden on and broken off the top 15" of my trusty Greys 9/12' stalker which has served me well for over ten years I am looking to replace it with a pair and would appreciate any feedback.

I prefer a cork handle and don't do much distance fishing so looking to strike a balance between not playing a fish to death and not having something too poker like either.

I am on a budget and have looked at the Fox Warrior 12' 2 3/4lb tc and liked the rod in general along with the handle and the line clip which I would use a lot.

Anyone have any experience with these rods or any suitable alternatives out there?

I have seen a Greys 2 1/4lb tc rod but thinking this might just be a bit too much on the light side?

Appreciate any feedback, cheers.

Edited to add: For deadbait fishing mostly with floats at close to medium range

terry m

Reaction score
|On your budget, I would check out the Wychwood bait rods. They are full cork 3lb TC but bend through the butt.

Give them a waggle, you may love 'em!

B

binka

Cheers Terry, appreciate the suggestion.

I travel around a bit with work so will keep a lookout to see if I can find one to have a play with.

fishingtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Not sure from your post if you are looking for a stalking rod or full size specimin rod?
I have to say my recommendations don't have cork handles...I've been really impressed with my 9 foot Sonik staking rod, it has a very forgiving through action with lots of power in reserve for big fish.
If you are looking for a full 12 ft rod have a look on eBay etc for ESP Tracer 2.75lb carp rods. Again great through action with power in spades. Typically £40-£50 secondhand in good condition.
If the cork handle thing is a deal breaker for you stick with Greys, I've used their rods for years and never had a doubt about them.
Hope you find the comments of help

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I would check out the Wychwood bait rods. They are full cork 3lb TC but bend through the butt.
If these are solely for pike fishing then you need soft through actions and I would agree with Terry's comment. If you can stretch to ET Pitmasters at 80 sovs each, they are great, albeit foam handle!
ET%20Bait%20Rods%20group%20image%20001.jpg

B

binka

Thanks fellas.

I think I will keep my options open on the cork handle as this is really narrowing down the choice, i'm passing by Climax at Chesterfield, Lanes of Coventry and Fosters in Brum over the next couple of weeks and will have a good look at what's on offer and i'll keep an eye on Ebay for the rods mentioned... never far from Walkers of Trowell either come to think of it.

As an aside and way out of my budget I have recently heard of Dave Lumb custom builds, anyone have on?

Cheers.

terry m

Reaction score
If these are solely for pike fishing then you need soft through actions and I would agree with Terry's comment. If you can stretch to ET Pitmasters at 80 sovs each, they are great, albeit foam handle!

The ET Pitmasters have a great action, perfect for piking, but the handle is just pants IMO.

As for the Dave Lumb rods mentioned, pricey but based on Harrison blanks so probably reat quality and action if your chequebook is up to it.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I would avoid the fox warrior range they are not through action and have quality problems for the price.
I got a pair of NGT "specimen pike" rods 12ft 2.75 for £50 can't fault them proper through action right into the reel seat and no problem swinging out a full size mackrel don't see them for sale very often got mine from ET at the PAC confrence.
My mate lost his greys lure rod and replaced it with a four piece ET stalking rod 9ft he loves it .

If I have the option i like cork handles to but have found it's better to not worry about it and go with the best rod for the job.

Last edited:

chris hall

Reaction score
I have a couple of Dave Lumb 12ft 3.5 test curve rods, at the time I was feeling flush, but saying that they were cheaper than quite a few mass produced mainstream rods of the same ilk. One of them is 14Ft, 3 piece as I wanted a rod for float fishing for Wrasse, and the poke these rods have is perfect. I also use this rod when float fishing for pike in deeper water close in. As I will be doing tomorrow
Chris.

B

binka

Cheers Chris, that's the second good reference to Dave Lumb rods that i've heard today and i've been browsing his website with much interest.

It's still way over my budget for the time being but I feel myself sliding down the slippery slope of no return and may have to crack the chain off the steel box containing the credit card :eek:mg:

Well come on, rods for life and all that (provided I don't tread on the tip and shatter it!).

I wonder if he'll make the receipt out for servicing and tyres in case 'er indoors finds out?

keora

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Having today trodden on and broken off the top 15" of my trusty Greys 9/12' stalker which has served me well for over ten years I am looking to replace it with a pair and would appreciate any feedback.

I prefer a cork handle and don't do much distance fishing so looking to strike a balance between not playing a fish to death and not having something too poker like either.

I am on a budget and have looked at the Fox Warrior 12' 2 3/4lb tc and liked the rod in general along with the handle and the line clip which I would use a lot.

Anyone have any experience with these rods or any suitable alternatives out there?

I have seen a Greys 2 1/4lb tc rod but thinking this might just be a bit too much on the light side?

Appreciate any feedback, cheers.

Edited to add: For deadbait fishing mostly with floats at close to medium range

I've got the Greys 2.25lb TC deadbait rod you mentioned, it's 11 ft long and costs about £100. Although the test curve is fairly light for a pike rod, the tip itself is thick and stiff, presumably to cast heavy deadbaits. So when fishing small deadbaits close in, the tip hardly flexes at all when you cast out. Another fault is that the distance between end of the handle and the reel fixture is too long. Some of the length is wasted because it's sticking out beyond your elbow.

I've recently seen this 10ft Drennan E-Sox Pikeflex boat rod which looks pretty good for close range bank fishing. It's got a short handle, a more sensitive tip and it's £30 cheaper than the Greys:

Drennan International

Last edited:
B

binka

Thanks keora.

I had all but made up my mind to go down the Dave Lumb route but I just don't have the finances at the minute so i'll be looking at the suggestions that people have kindly made.

I have been offered a pair of Fox Warrior 2.75lb deadbait rods in good condition for £40 the lot so the price just might overule any imperfections.

Cheers, much appreciated.

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
chub prowla 2.75 good through action 12ft full cork handle.were made by greys but sadly no longer made,try e bay or gum tree.leslies of luton used to stock them.or greys prodigy 3lb dead bait virtually same rod as greys made chub rods i still use these rods and they cover 95per cent of my piking,cannot recommend them highly enough

Coxy

Reaction score
I would avoid the fox warrior range they are not through action and have quality problems for the price.
I got a pair of NGT "specimen pike" rods 12ft 2.75 for £50 can't fault them proper through action right into the reel seat and no problem swinging out a full size mackrel don't see them for sale very often got mine from ET at the PAC confrence.
My mate lost his greys lure rod and replaced it with a four piece ET stalking rod 9ft he loves it .

If I have the option i like cork handles to but have found it's better to not worry about it and go with the best rod for the job.

The Warriors are tip to middle action but will bend progressively through under pressure, certainly not a "players rod" and a little on the stiff side but as for these rods having " quality problems" i don't agree with that at all. They are a tuff workman like well made tool with thick walled blank and a much better quality reel seat than the Greys Platinum range.
I would recommend the the Wychwood Agitator, although the handle is a bit on the short side on the 12 foot 3lb rod, that aside they are superb rods for the price.

B

binka

The Warriors are tip to middle action but will bend progressively through under pressure, certainly not a "players rod" and a little on the stiff side but as for these rods having " quality problems" i don't agree with that at all. They are a tuff workman like well made tool with thick walled blank and a much better quality reel seat than the Greys Platinum range.

I've used my secondhand Warrior 2.75lbs for the very first time today and that description is spot on.

There were certainly no quality issues and I couldn't complain whilst using them with a 5oz lead for float paternostering 3oz deadbaits in a healthy flow... first fish was a small pike around 8lb which gave a disappointing feel compared to that of my old Greys but then that was always going to be considering the size of the fish and weight of the lead I was using.

I did hook and lose a large fish in the final throws after a lengthy fight and the rod more than coped with things, good tip and middle action and the butt section really did come into play nicely, all of which surprised me as the rods are literally as new and cost me forty quid for the pair.

I did notice that the handle was probably about six inches too long but this had little consequence to me on a twelve foot rod and flicking a 1oz roach out on the second rod towards the end to do a bit of wobbling was just an effortless sideways flick to reach the far bank some forty yards away.

I was originally just going to use these as a stop gap until funds allowed for something better but I can see that they have their use and will probably just invest in something a bit more "playable" for wobbling a deadbait whilst roving, having tried the Whywood Solace twin tip 2lb/2.5lb in the shop I was really impressed with the action and feel, also like the versatility for other uses too... if they'd have had a pair I would have gone for it.

Reaction score
If you are looking for a custom build try Mick Holgate at Kingfisher rods .He is in Standish Wigan.He will build you a rod to your specification based on Harrison blanks Fugi/Kigan fittings.
And a really nice guy.

chezz

Reaction score
I have the ngt pikes too just couldnt afford much after having my symetres nicked (best pike rods ever), love em also bought their baitrunners too go with em. Trolled for barracuda off a hobbycat and had cuda up to 45lds bend double (almost) i paid 60 quid off ebay for two rods and two reels ....not all cheap tackle is rubbish.

riverrovingross

Reaction score
I own 3 fox warrior dead bait rods 2x 2.75lb tc and 1x 3.25lb tc for distance fishing and they are utter amazing. I can feel even 2 and 3lb jacks and have had a fair few doubles on them and they feel great. Casting isn't even a problem with the 2.75lb tc they cast 60+ yards with a 2oz lead and a 6oz dead bait and I have used bigger deads on them at 40-50 yards. Full cork handle, screw reel seat and you can pick them up brand new at 55 squids. I would highly recommend having a nosy at them

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I have a rod made by Dave Lumb and can vouch for the build quality. Bought it 4 or so years ago now and would love another of the same but can't see myself affording one any time soon. If you manage to get a pair in the future I'm sure they'll be rods for life.