Rod sections.

dalesman

Reaction score
Manufactures of course rods now favour building rods in two sections for the commercials but still retaining the three sections for the rivers. Where as the game fishing rods are mainly four sectioned.

A friend of mine now retired has a small car and is unable to walk along river banks due to injury at work, he cant get long sectioned in his car so has given up fishing.

steve2

Reaction score
Then why not use a 3 section rod?
1,2,3,or 4 sections it still just a fishing rod to be used anywhere you choose

The bad one

Reaction score
Don't understand why he can't get a 2 piece 12 ft rod in a small car? I have a two seater very small car and I get them in on the passenger side by putting them at the bottom of the footwell leaning against the back of the passenger seat. Ok I can't take a passenger with me but I can meet my fishing buddies there. So why can't he do the same?

Reaction score
I hate two piece 12ft rods,so its lucky I prefer 11fters for my barbel fishing,going back to the op,you can buy four piece rods,your mate must be easily influenced,as I use what I like,not what someone says is fashion...

John Aston

Reaction score
Take it from me , if you buy a 12'Acolyte Ultra, expecting it to be a three piece, things can end badly if you drive a Mk 4 MX5 ... As it happens I do, and as the weather was awful , I wanted to keep the hood up when I was loading the new rod in the car park . Surely with a tiny squeeze this will fit ? Err... no, the muffled click was the sound of a three piece being born . It got worse - I sent it to be repaired , 5 months later I was still waiting and then had to take the firm to court , then send in the bailiffs after they still failed to pay after judgment...

The whole section thing is odd - received wisdom used to be that the more the sections, the worse the action but nearly all many fly rods are four piece , even the six footer , with no loss of action whatsoever . So how come a two section 12 ' Acolyte , for example ? Longer ones are three section and feel just fine to me .

Reaction score
It annoys me greatly that the angling world has decided that 12ft float rods of reasonable quality are all two piece because match anglers,like carp anglers are too idle to set up on the bank,which I like to do for fresh rigs...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Wasn't there once a belief that rods in two sections had an improved action compared to those in three? And wasn't that the thinking behind rods with detachable handles? I haven't really kept up with developments in rod design, so have no idea if those ideas were right or wrong in the first place, or whether it's really all just dictated by fashion trends?

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm a bit puzzled. What type of fishing does your friend want to do? And why does it have to involve rods that don't fit in his car? What is to prevent him fishing with a three piece rod? He really packed up fishing because someone passed a comment on his rod? I'd try to reply helpfully, but I don't get what the issue is.

Reaction score
The main reason float rods 12' and shorter were two piece is so match anglers can have them set up in their holdalls,just like pole rigs,similar with feeder rods too,I know a local match angler who fished with Blackhorse after I left,he goes to matches at Albans lakes with eight feeder rods set up,I don't own half that amount,nor do I need them,good job he is sponsored by Preston.....

Molehill

Reaction score
I think fly fishing rods are more multi piece because many people fly fish straight after work, easy to have a couple of hours on the way home from the office etc. Multi piece rods and tackle remain out of sight in the boot when the car is parked up all day.
Other reason is traveling to worldwide destinations, so much easier with a travel rod in the luggage.

steve2

Reaction score
I must be missing something all my float rods over 11ft are 3 or 4 pieces. I do have a 7ft one piece lure rod that I can still fit in a car with no problems.

Reaction score
Most 12' float rods are two piece these days...

Badgerale

Reaction score
I must be missing something all my float rods over 11ft are 3 or 4 pieces. I do have a 7ft one piece lure rod that I can still fit in a car with no problems.

Float or feeder rods aren't the problem, it's getting heavier test curves in three pieces where you struggle.

I was after a barbel/avon type rod in three pieces, but gave up in the end and got a two piece one. I'm sure carp rods are the same.

It's really annoying, I have a small car (well, a normal size car in my books) and while you can fit a two piece in there it's awkward to do. In addition, if the wife needs the car I do occasionally resort to public transport.

Even aside from transport, I like to have everything in one 4ft holdall, with rods fitted onto the side. Less faff in trudging through fields or climbing over fences.

Keith M

Reaction score
What is all this hatred of 2 piece float rods?

I can understand if you have limited space in your car for carrying rods with longer rod sections; and I agree that limits many anglers to rods with shorter length rod sections; but even those that don't have limited space in their cars are decrying two piece float rods. Why?

Being able to 'occasionally` carry your rods ready made up doesn't make an angler lazy at all, and if you think that then I think you need to seriously think Why?

I have 2, 3 and 4 piece float rods and I like them all. They all have their different advantages and uses.

You can still buy 3 piece float rods if you don't have space in your car to carry longer rod sections.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I couldn't get my pole in the car so I bought a bus.
I'd still like to know what the OP's friend's problem actually is.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a Harrison Tryptich 12' 3 piece rod so they do exist. Don't listen to anglers save for those you know and trust.i used to go fishing in a Porsche Boxster S with the roof down. I felt a prat but it was possible. Your mate gives up too easily.

Molehill

Reaction score
Also have the Tryptic, great all purpose rod; plus their 4 piece Avon. The rods are out there but probably not so much at the cheaper end?

Reaction score
Six foot rod sections invade my front seat are of my car,so I really dont like them,if you have a larger car than me and most have that's fine,but I don't like them and wouldn't buy one,being like a carp angler and having rods that are set up from one session to another IS lazy,because imo lines need cutting back,floats need re-shotting as moving shot damages line,especially on 2-4lb lines,I like fresh hooklengths,tied on the morning,that doesn't seem ott to me,just cutting down risks..