Rod suggestions for spinning from pier for mackerel

swanlee

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a suggestions on a suitable rod for spinning/feathers form a pier. I'll be fishing the lower deck of a pier so casting can be a little restricted, I'm therefore thinking of something around 8ft. My question is do I need to go for heavy spin rod, in order to winch up fish without risking smashing the rod. Looking around the internet, it's often recommend using a drop net, but is that really practical/necessary for mackerel? I'm looking for something 4-piece. One rod I've looked at is the Shimano STC Monster 8ft, rated to 28-110g. It a bit on the pricey side and sounds could like it could land anything, but would it overkill? As I say my main concern being able to land fish without risking smashing the rod. Any suggestions would be very welcome

Thanks, Jon.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ideally you want a rod that can handle a 2oz weight, I'd suggest something a little longer that 8ft, I use a 10ft carp rod with a bs of 2.25lb. Most feather rigs come with about six hooks, hooking six mackerel that want to head off in various directions can be interesting, I chop my rigs in half, two for the price of one and handling up to three fish at a time is much more controllable. A drop net isn't required as long as you are using a decent breaking strain of mono or braid.

Fishing for mackerel using a single lure and lighter gear is great sport if you aren't wanting to fill a bucket full of fish.

john step

Reaction score
Go on ebay and type NGT 4 Piece rods. Up will pop 4 piece travel carp rods for under £30. NGT carbon rods are much better than the price tags suggest.

steve2

Reaction score
If rod weight isn't an issue may suggest looking for a 2nd hand fibreglass rod off Ebay. Carbon rods aren't designed for hauling heavy weights up the side of piers. Fibreglass will take a lot more abuse.

waldi

Reaction score
If you are really looking for a 4 piece try and find the normal Shimano STC 20 to 60grms.
It will be much more versatile for pier fishing.

I've got the older 15-40 gram version I use for holidays and it's really not a bad rod.
As a bonus, the normal STC travel can be had for a lot less than the "Monster" version.

swanlee

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rod length wise 9 or 10 foot would be good, but the upright supports of the pier (lower deck) make casting a longer rod tricky.

The NGT looks good - I used to have a great 4-piece Rovex which I'm sure was the exact same rod NGT were selling.

Fibreglass also sounds interesting - I have some modern fiberglass fly rods for fishing small streams and they're a joy to use and bombproof too.

With the STC, would the 20-60grams be strong enough or would the 50-100grams be better suited? The pros of the 20-60grms would be that it would be a better all-round rod and presumably much less of a poker.

Another rod I've looked is the Okuma Altera Travel Spin. Its 8ft, rated 20-80grams and is about £50. I know there's some decent Okuma reels, but know little of their rods. My thinking is that Shimano already have a good rep with their STC range and so can get away with a higher price, whereas Okuma may have to try a little harder and therefore, charge less for similar quality. Their higher end rods use decent components such as Fuji and Alps, so they're not just a budget brand.

Again thanks for all the suggestions and I'd welcome more.

Cheers, Jon.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you are only fishing this one location with restricted headroom and your main target is mackerel I'd suggest spending as little as possible as your window for catching will be no more than a few days maybe weeks in a year.

budsy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a suggestions on a suitable rod for spinning/feathers form a pier. I'll be fishing the lower deck of a pier so casting can be a little restricted, I'm therefore thinking of something around 8ft. My question is do I need to go for heavy spin rod, in order to winch up fish without risking smashing the rod. Looking around the internet, it's often recommend using a drop net, but is that really practical/necessary for mackerel? I'm looking for something 4-piece. One rod I've looked at is the Shimano STC Monster 8ft, rated to 28-110g. It a bit on the pricey side and sounds could like it could land anything, but would it overkill? As I say my main concern being able to land fish without risking smashing the rod. Any suggestions would be very welcome

Thanks, Jon.
Hi any rod should do but if pier is quit high up then best with a rod as guy sais that takes at least a 2oz weight
i tend to try use 2oz all time and three oz is also well used where i go and heavier ..i also spin from pier and other day
caught 5 mackerel and 2 i had on got off ..i normally use monofilament but sent for braid recently

both good enough just braid thy say keeps its memory and lasts longer ..is more money though but mono is good finee

id buy btween 15 L/B of mono and 20/LB whatever all to their own with that ..weghts from 2oz and three oz although some go higher
i done well other day in this nice summers weather with 2 oz weight , whereas some with like 5oz not so good i noticed
i thought that far too heavy ..hooks sizes 2/0 or 1/0 is fine for feathers , tickets all kinda names in UK
i had 6 on and then in a tangle cut my line to save time and re hooked 4 feathers and caught another three
with size 2/0 hooks and 2 Mackerel i had on later got off hook/s . But this is just me and we are all different in what way to go
re fishing lines , hook sizing , weights and lines to use ..All the best .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If the mackerel come close in float fishing is another possibility, a 8-10ft rod shouldn't be a problem. A well loaded reel and a bit of weight under the float and you should be able to flick it out 30yds or so, watch which way the currents flow though. You will not catch as many as feathering but nice to do.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
My favourite rod for mackerel is an Okuma Salina Spin 9.5 ft. Casts up to 45 g it says on the blank, but will handle more.

Just don't put more than a couple of hooks on though! If you get two 1lb mackerel on at the same time hauling them up vertically will push the blank to its limit.

My favourite rig is a Dexter Wedge lure as casting weight, probably about 35g size. I usually have a single little mackerel feather lure on a short snood about 1 ft above the Wedge lure and always have a little luminous bead on that snood, it can make a big difference.

For days when there is a strong wind in your face maybe a step up to a "Bass" rod is sensible. Less fun with mackerel, but sometimes a 3 oz weight is so much better at cutting into the wind.

Many days the mackerel will not chase a big lure, when they are in this mood use the little Sabiki traces of flies. Often they are tied on hooks as small as size 10, very handy when the mackerel are preoccupied with tiny whitebait. These little lures are usually on quite light line, don't risk casting them with more than 2 ozs, particularly on a crowded pier.

I am missing a good "mackerel bash"! Live too far from the sea now but I always managed a couple of trips a year to put bait in the freezer for the winter months ?