Ross on wye town stretch

joeyc87

Reaction score
I'm informed that parts of the town stretch are day ticket? My first time fishing for chub and barbel, any advice on how to fish this stretch would be hugely appreciated! I have a drennan Avon rod which I was going to fish the tip with. Was also going to have a go at trotting with my pellet waggler rod if it's not too deep and fast there? Also, does anyone know if the ground is fairly close to the water, or am I going to be fishing from a bit of a height? Thank you!

sagalout

Reaction score
As with most of the Wye the banks in the town section are very high and steep, if you think that the river is currently at something like 6 inches but even within it's normal range can be 10ft deep it gives you some idea of the banks. However with it being low at the moment you can get down and settle yourself at a number of places.

See https://www.riverlevels.uk/herefordshire-ross-on-wye-ross-on-wye-lvl#.WWRVCbpFzIW for the current levels and a quick snippet on levels

I don't have enough experience to advise but when there is more water a two ounce feeder stuffed with pellets and a twelve inch hook link seem to work well. Graham is the expert but he doesn't seem to have been posting much lately, might be worth trying a PM to him.

From the Ross Angling club website:
The TOWN WATER is on the left bank of the River Wye in the Riverside Park from the boundary hedge below Ross Rowing Club downstream to the signed limit one meadow below Wilton Bridge. NO FISHING IS ALLOWED ALONG THE FRONTAGE OF THE HOPE AND ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE.

Day tickets are available for COARSE FISHING ONLY.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In times gone by I have stayed in the Hotel on the bridge at Ross at different times of the year and witnessed the massive variation in water levels that can seemingly change almost overnight. I've never fished the stretch but I totally agree with Sagalout around the banks.
In speaking to 'locals' who fished it regularly the levels can change with a teaspoon of rain so gauging when to fish it if you're coming from distance probably needs to be thought about...
A beautiful, beautiful river which needs due respect. Hopefully others on FM can offer proper advice, which I most certainly cannot do!

Good luck, though..

ps You could always pop into Redmire just down the road, if river levels too high!!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
ps You could always pop into Redmire just down the road, if river levels too high!!

I have often wondered where it was. Outside of the day dreams and videos that is !

Last edited:

joeyc87

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm gonna head to larford. I'm a bit inexperienced on the rivers to be climbing down banks etc alone I think. I'm gonna head to larford. It says they have a mile long stretch of the Severn which has a few chub and barbel so I can have half a day on there and half a day on the speci lake.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Within the grounds of Berthinian Court if you check an OS map. At one time you could make a tour of the house via the local Information Centre but probably not any longer. I did such a visit just to know I walked in the footsteps of many great anglers.
Never forgotten it....

Mind you, the housekeeper kept saying "Walk up the stairs close to the wall" which was a little worrying............................

sagalout

Reaction score
You're never alone on the Ross town section, I think it must be the busiest place in Herefordshire, I once saw three cars parked on the road along there.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm gonna head to larford. I'm a bit inexperienced on the rivers to be climbing down banks etc alone I think. I'm gonna head to larford. It says they have a mile long stretch of the Severn which has a few chub and barbel so I can have half a day on there and half a day on the speci lake.

If you're prepared to try Larford why not get a BAA ticket, £40 gives you a lot of the Severn you can reach in around an hour plus the Avon and a stretch of the Wye, (needs to be pre-booked due to demand). Pegs do vary and some are steep but I don't know if any one offers so much river for so little money