Rufford Leeds Liverpool canal .

Kinggizzard

Reaction score
So recently got Into lure fishing and been catching smaller perch with few smaller pike while learning methods.
Just wondering if any other people in the wigan area have any more information of the size of perch you get in these waters.
Or any other waters I should look at ? Cheers .

John Aston

Reaction score
I don't know the area but I would avoid anywhere which is popular with lure anglers. It is an expanding area of our sport and I have seen my local canal swamped with idiots. Perch can live anywhere , and I have had some very good fish from stretches of river nobody rates . They thrive on neglect - I recommend you walk further on the canal (most anglers are lazy ) and get the OS map for exploring new rivers and canals. Ponds - not so much . Most I have found are poor for perch BUT if you can find a commercial that will allow you to lure fish you can be in for serious sport with perch . My local commercial was fine with my lure fishing but I kept it to mid week in mid winter when nobody much was around

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
So recently got Into lure fishing and been catching smaller perch with few smaller pike while learning methods.
Just wondering if any other people in the wigan area have any more information of the size of perch you get in these waters.
Or any other waters I should look at ? Cheers .
Try Pennington Flash