SALTER SALUTED FOR SERVICES TO ANGLING

Reaction score
Irrespective to political affiliations; Martin Salter has endeavoured to push issues pertinent to Angling and we should all be grateful for his efforts. I've not noticed many other (any other?) MP's raise their heads above the parapet in our cause so regularly.

(And he has come out untainted from the second home sleaze by the clever and intelligent tactic of behaving like a normal commuter .....using the rail services to and from his Reading home and constituency. And before anybody else jumps in...yes I know he gets his rail fares back...but so does every other blooming MP.)

dezza

Reaction score
It's a good job Martin has been in the Labour Party, because without him, the anti-anglers which comprise the vast majority of Labour MPs would have perhaps had a more negative effect on our sport.

I will continue to support Martin in future endeavours, but not his party.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Ron, I don't support Labour so don't take this the wrong way, but how on earth do you come to that conclusion? I could understand if you'd said 'blood sports' but not angling, which in my opinion is still perceived by most people to be associated with the words 'gentle' and 'art'.

dezza

Reaction score
Ron, I don't support Labour so don't take this the wrong way, but how on earth do you come to that conclusion? I could understand if you'd said 'blood sports' but not angling, which in my opinion is still perceived by most people to be associated with the words 'gentle' and 'art'.

Make no mistake, angling is a "blood sport" and is similar to fox hunting and shooting, all three being forms of hunting. We still kill fish for the table and when we gut them there is plenty of blood.

I caught a trout the other day which swallowed the fly. There was lots of blood coming from its gills.

A heck of a lot of Labour MPs will condone killing a fish for food, but not returning it to the water!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Well I don't think they are 'anti-angling', just 'pro-voter' and like all politicians they will lean whichever way the wind blows. I think your 'blood-sports' views are in a minority re angling. Sure, some people who live close to country sports might share your views but most voters are urban. Most of those people see us as harmless nutters sitting under green umbrellas on a canal bank in the rain, because that's the only time they see anglers. What they do notice is that (unlike foxhunting with dogs) there are huge number of voters who are also anglers, to alienate us is a shot in the foot they won't be making - unless the media ever turns against us.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
there are huge number of voters who are also anglers, to alienate us is a shot in the foot they won't be making - unless the media ever turns against us.

Well Geoff, it didn't seem to worry Mr. Blair that he would upset 750,000 Huntsmen and associated workers, (most of whom are Voters) when invoking the ubiquitous Parliament Act to ride roughshod over the House of Lords, did it?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Well Geoff, it didn't seem to worry Mr. Blair that he would upset 750,000 Huntsmen and associated workers, (most of whom are Voters) when invoking the ubiquitous Parliament Act to ride roughshod over the House of Lords, did it?

Maybe it was because he thought by attempting to ban hunting he'd win more votes than he'd lose Peter, and he did after all win that, and subsequent elections.

I'd like to know whom these anti anglers in the Labour Party are Ron, any chance you can share their names with us?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of Political issues being raised in Postings these days, isn't there some rule about political postings.

And don't mask your political views in an Angling Thread, he is being saluted to his services to Angling and not because of his political views.

Bluenose

Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of Political issues being raised in Postings these days, isn't there some rule about political postings....

There is Steph. The general rule is that political posts which are 'fishing related' are allowed. However discussions often transcend fishing and this is when it becomes a difficult area to moderate.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I understand your predicament, but this has gone away from his services to Angling and turned in to a political topic.

We all know he's a politician, soon to stand down from his party role.

It is about time we brought the topic of the thread back on track.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
SV,

There is a thin line between 'social issues' that affect angling and 'political issues' that may also affect angling.

As a moderator I am usually quite 'liberal' with allowing general issues.

The obvious comparison between the ban on fox hunting, as it might apply to angling one day, being one such issue.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Perhaps Steph, however the topic is/was always going to be political though because Mr Salter is a politician as well as an angler.

The other view points are not a million miles away in the subject content though, so lets just see what develops.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes, not so easy. I'll just keep on until a mod blocks me and I'll respect his decision.

Unlike this statement :)

"Well Geoff, it didn't seem to worry Mr. Blair that he would upset 750,000 Huntsmen and associated workers..."

Which is a bit of a spin on the facts - but I guess you pro-hunting supporters have to make some kind of effort to make it appear more popular than it really is. How many horses go fox-hunting Peter? Also 750,00? Or would the number be closer to 7,500? This to me would reflect the true number of the Fox-hunting community.