Scents?

Reaction score
On commercials during warmer weather sounds plays the biggest part in getting fish to come,then stay in your swim,in the winter there are times when a single hookbait,with flavour added can catch,but then you have to be in the place fish want to be be,often in the deepest water,lying up,or under snags,usually in shallow water oddly...

Keith M

Reaction score
I often like to use a flavouring on my meats and Pellets (but not always) and my boilies are always flavoured.
Flavours that I currently use on my meat and Pellets are Chilli, monster crab, and sausage together with a little seafood paste coating.
Currently I am getting a lot of action from Carp (and also Catfish) using Mainline Cell boilies; but I’ve also had a lot of Carp and Tench on various other flavours including Pineapple and strawberry and Active-8 flavours too.

I’ve found that some flavours can be a lot better than others for different species and their attractiveness can differ from water to water just like the ph levels of a water; which I think may possibly be related to the effectiveness of some flavours.

When I used to fish a lot of matches back in the 80s and 90s I used to also like to use some dilute flavouring on my maggots after cleaning (usually a sweet Wasp cake flavouring, or turmeric, or a dilute pineapple flavouring) and it certainly seemed to work for me.

I also bought an Archie Braddocks ‘Sugar & Spice’ flavouring powder once which I used to use both in a paste and sprinkled over maggots; and although I caught plenty of fish using it; I wouldn’t have called it one of the better flavourings that I had used.

I’m not usually a great lover of bread and cheese paste on its own especially once the weather starts to get cold in the winter time; but when mixed with some ‘raw onion juice’ in the autumn it was a great bait for Chub where I fished on the river Kennet; and after putting what was left after each session into the freezer a few times (and adding to it with fresh paste) it started to feel cold to the touch even on a very hot day (possibly because the amino acids were starting to break down in it???) and it became a really great bait for large Roach and Rudd during the spring and summer months.

Nowerdays I just stick to a very few proven flavourings that have always worked for me.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I always dabbled with flavours undecided if they worked or not. The conclusion I have come to is they may help, flavours don't seem to put fish off.
The most potent flavour that I have the most confidence in is a sour worm juice made from fermented worms. It smells really bad but works.
If you can not stand foul smells best leave it alone.??

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Is aniseed better for roach than say hemp scent
If you're thinking of aniseed, don't make the mistake I did and buy Polly's Punch Crumb. This blurb for this states "Polly has come up with this mix with a hint of aniseed which fish find irresistible." All I can say is that Polly must have a seriously impaired sense of smell if he thinks that's a "hint" of aniseed. The container I kept mine in still reeks of aniseed two years after I used the last of it (which I did as quickly as possible as I couldn't take the overpowering pong. And I didn't catch on it, either).

The bad one

Reaction score
I’m nether convince or not that scents, additives, etc work or not. And I don’t swallow the ad blurb by so-called “name” anglers they did this, did that, and this bait or that bait caught by far the most fish of the session, season, lifetime. Only to find out the “name” has been sponsored by company who make the bait he/she was plugging 6 months before.

Like it or not, it is NOT scientific testable, repeatable analysis, it is crypto science on a par with Snake oil Sales.

Sorry but the variance of variables is so vast in the water environment you just can not set up a repeatable scientific experiment to test this bait, scent additives, etc against others. And if you think you can, lets be having your experimental design for testing it.

Having said all that, if using it gives you the “confidence” to fish as well as you possibly can do, then it’s done its job. But not for the reasons the makers want you to believe it has.

rayner

Reaction score
I tried Archie Bradocks years ago and liked it, I thought my catches certainly improved. I never see it in tackle shops now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I tried Archie Bradocks years ago and liked it, I thought my catches certainly improved. I never see it in tackle shops now.
I used to flavour luncheon meat with "Knorr marinade in minutes" granules, this was basically what you rubbed onto steaks etc before BBQ.
A mate smelt it when I was packing up after a match and thought I was using Archie Braddock's " winter mix"

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On commercials during warmer weather sounds plays the biggest part in getting fish to come,then stay in your swim,in the winter there are times when a single hookbait,with flavour added can catch,but then you have to be in the place fish want to be be,often in the deepest water,lying up,or under snags,usually in shallow water oddly...
I have heard this before but I don't think it would have worked on the types of commercial lakes I fished, the fish were quite shy as often as not. I experimented with a lot of baits though and found one or two that seemed to work and tempt fish. I am not talking about lakes stuffed full of carp but general good mixed fishing mostly, probably fewer of them about now. One problem with some of these baits I worked in commercials was attracting eels in my local rivers, don't like them, bloody nuisance to me and I am quit near the coast so want to avoid them; just reminded myself of that as it happens so I will bear that in mind when I try some scents, probably have to be vegetable or fruit and not meaty or fishy. The pineapple one seems favorite for my fishing, I will very likely give that one a go.

steve2

Reaction score
If you find a group of anglers fishing a lake for carp I would say that most fishing that lake would be using a different flavour and make of bait. It would be the one they have most confidence in nothing special just confidence. It the same with all fishing if you have confidence in your bait and method you stand a better chance of catching. I added oils to my pike dead baits but never caught more than on just plain baits but I have caught more when ground baiting with fish different to the bait.

Reaction score
In winter most serious,sensible carp anglers are using single hookbaits,or maybe a stringer and not casting many times in a session,unless they have seen fish moving...