Scientific names, why are we loath to use them?

Reaction score
The use of Luce to describe a Pike certainly pre-dates Linnaeus by at least 300 years. In the General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales Chaucer mentions that the Franklin had "meny a breme and luce in stewe".

Interesting that he refers to "breme in stewe" as we generally assume that the main stew-pond fish were carp. Could it be that "breme" was a generic term? I don't know. OK Ron this one's over to you.

matthew barter

Reaction score
You are supposed to have problems with pronouncing or spelling the names. Oiks like us know and recocognise the species and names but it was far better for the ruling (educated) elite to come up with a system that made it hard for people without a formal education to understand. How after all could they be sure that they were dealing with an intelectual worthy. Far better if you can readily snub them for not having the same breeding as you straight away.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
...and to make sure they keep their advantage, every few years all the nomenclaturists gather (somewhere nice, of course) and change a few of the names...
"When I were a lad", the bass was Morone labrax. Now, They who Know have decided it should be Dicentrarchus labrax.
This used to be because they'd found the species had been named twice, but the second chap had been more famous, or cited in more papers, or was at a posher ivory tower; however, as a group, they stick firmly to a law of priority, and eventually, the first chap would get his fifteen minutes of, well, obscurity.
Nowadays, DNA sequencing and other chemical techniques have moved at such a pace that "Molecular evolution" is throwing light on all sorts of unsuspected relationships; as it is very handy to have all the species in a genus carry the same generic name, a fair bit of re-branding has to be done.
Special interest groups like gardeners tend to be kept well-informed about such changes; there are powerful commercial interests that want them to find old and new favourites quickly and easily.
Anglers, however, seem happy to be treated like mushrooms - until they land a possible huge roach, rudd or crucian...

You'll have gathered that I like names; good ones describe things well, and give a bit of history, too.
There are booby traps, though; if you've just discovered the Warty-Faced, Stinking Dung-Worm, and therefore have the privilege of giving it a scientific name, there's a strong temptation to name it after the @@@@ with whom your girl ran off...
In the reverse mood, but even more confusing, are some dedications - there are (or were - they may have been tidied up by now) several genera of freshwater beasts - Nerocila and Cerolina are two I recall - which are anagrams of Caroline, the discoverer's daughter. Not very helpful!
Then there's the thorny matter of the naming of floats...

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I stand in awe, Simon.
And now I wish I hadn't picked "dung-worm" out of the air as an example...

(Frantic googling)...
Well, at least it ain't a worm. That's a whole kingdom and phylum I'd never heard of!

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The German cockroach(Blattella germanica) is probably a good example Alan.
As the German cockroach doesn't actually originate from Germany but from Asia and North Africa, mostly found in Russia and now has spread worldwide. In Germany it is sometimes called “Die russische Schabe”, The Russian Roach. In Russia it is called the Polish Roach. Yet in America it was originally called the Crotton Bug because it came to NY about the time the Crotton Aqueduct was built. It was formally named by a chap called Linnaeus probably was around in Germany for quite a while before the name was applied. So thank heavens for the poor old German / Polish/ Russian / call it what you like Common old cockroach! And than god for the misinformed science of a chap called Linnaeus, who, if he was still up to his tricks nowadays, would probably be spending most of his life in the Libel Courts.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
And some of us have been privileged enough to have had an organism named for our efforts.

SpringerLink - Systematic Parasitology, Volume 32, Number 2

"eimeria simonkingi".

And a very proud father I am, too. :D

('Til it gets reclassified in a couple of hundred years or so, of course. Damned Claddists.)

Absolutely brilliant :D No disrespect intended Simon but it is some feat to have a Gecko poo parasite named after you. I am in total awe of the whole idea and insanely jealous.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I believe this method of naming everything was because a species might be called something completely different in another country. So, a universal system was created to give every living thing a name that could be recognised all over the world. I think it was a swede called Linnaeus who started it. In fact everything has 5 latin names-- genus, class, type, sub type etc or something like that. Would be hard to learn but, yes I agree these names have a certain ring to them .

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
From Wikipedia - "Debate has been ferocious in Britain in recent years as to the origin of the word "seabass". The traditional word was "bass" but that has changed with the recent popularity of cooking programmes and the expansion of restaurant marketing, both of which have adopted the phrase "seabass". There is only one type of bass in the British Isles and thus the expression "seabass" is probably unnecessary"

Chefs again, see?

Sea bass is an Americanism. For reasons best know to themselves, the Americans decided to adopt a sea fish name for two freshwater species. That condemned them as far menu appearance is concerned to becoming 'sea bass.'

Simon K

Reaction score
Without Linnaeus, Darwin would have had a much tougher time of it.

It's a sad fact that while there are 10's of thousands of newly discovered species waiting to be named and catalogued, (many becoming extinct in the meantime), there are too many people busy re-naming and re-classifying known and named species for no other good reason than to make a name for themselves.

As for Gecko poo........................it's a living? :D

My dream is that buried somehwere in the vaults of the Natural History Museum is a little phial on a dusty shelf with some poo, some preservative and my name on it.

Immortality beckons.

I thought you'd all like that. :)

dezza

Reaction score
Without Linnaeus, Darwin would have had a much tougher time of it.

It's a sad fact that while there are 10's of thousands of newly discovered species waiting to be named and catalogued, (many becoming extinct in the meantime), there are too many people busy re-naming and re-classifying known and named species for no other good reason than to make a name for themselves.

That is absolutely true. They did that with a lot of South Africa's freshwater fishes.