Sea/LRF fishing in Falmouth

tommos16

Reaction score
Evening all. Have found out ill be doing quite a long stint working in Falmouth, so naturally my first thought has turned to how I'm going to get my fishing fix.

I was looking for advice on how I can potentially bodge sea fishing with all my fresh water gear. I've got 2 x 2.75lb rods, two light lure rods, and 2 x 9ft 3lb carp rods. Do you think I'm best lure fishing/LRF dropshotting or would it be feasible to cast out, for example, 4oz leads with the 3lb rods and hope for fish passing close by?

Any local marks would be gratefully appreciated, as a non local and a non sea angler it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

Thank you kindly in advance, Tom

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A lot will depend on what the local currents are like regarding weights used and what you are fishing from. A good google research might help. If it is any help, I use carp rods for either float fishing or bottom fishing but their limit is about a 2oz weight, this holds bottom well enough where I fish. If there are any jetties, groynes or piers in Falmouth try float fishing, a big-ish float, a swivel , a drilled bullet or appropriate weight to cock the float and a hook is all you need. You don't need to be sophisticated about it, just basic float set up or there is lure fishing. Depends on what's about, mackerel, bass, pollock mainly take lures, I find the clearer the sea the better they work.
I did look this up with a brief search but have a good google "Fishing in Falmouth".
Where to go

Off the rocks – there are some good rock marks around Pendennis Point, Gyllyngvase and Maenporth headlands but require care. Pendennis Point is a good area for wrasse and pollock, as is St Anthony’s Head which, on autumnal nights, is excellent for black bream.

Beach fishing – the Prince of Wales Pier, Falmouth fishes well at night for pollock, mackerel and flounder. Trefusis Point, Flushing for wrasse, pollock, mackerel and the occasional ray. Fish inshore off any of the Falmouth beaches or fish small live baits in deep and shallow waters to catch flatties, red and black bream, gurnard, weavers, rays, tope, dorys and varieties of wrasse.

What you can expect to find

On and offshore species will include Bass, Bream, Cod, Coalfish, Conger, Ling, Pollack, Ray, Shark and Turbot. Here’s a seasonal breakdown:

Bass – April to December (Best on Spring Tides)
Bream – June to October
Pollack – All year ( Largest specimens caught in February/March)
Cod – All year on the wrecks
Ling – April to October
Coalfish – January to April
Mackerel – May to October
Blue Shark – July to October ( Tag and Release )
Porbeagle Shark – March to October
Plaice and Rays – May to November

Useful contacts

St Mawes Sea Angling Club Mr P.A. Miller 01326 270953
Cornish Fishing Nigel Hodge 07976 974 616 `Wave Chieftan` charter boat fishing out of Falmouth. MCA Licenced for 12 passengers and 2 crew.
Leo I Ken Dodgson 01326 312409. Charter boat fishing up to 20 miles, out of Falmouth
Spirit of Cornwall , Dominic 01326 312895 , 07980 638469
Patrice II Michael Tuffery 01326 313265. Charter boat fishing up to 20 miles, out of Falmouth

theartist

Reaction score
You don't have to cast to the skyline to get sea fish and where you fish will depend on what species you are going for. PS using coarse gear is fine and imo a lot more fun.

Reaction score
When i'm on holiday I fish Poole harbour,Swanage,I fish five foot cheapo glass spinning rods,4/6lb line,some swan and AA shot,size 12 s/s hooks and Marakyu artificial ragworm,broke off in three quarters of an inch or so lengths,I catch all the blennies,gobies,three species of wrasse,a tub gurnard,a schoolie...often catching fifteen twenty fish in a few hours,my missus and youngest son enjoy doing it too,which is a real bonus...

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
Hi all, would just like to say thank you so much for your kind posts and the level of detail. You're all too kind.

Best regards, Tom

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk