Sealey "Octopus ESS" logo

tenchfisher

Reaction score
Hi folks - was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get hold of an "octopus ESS" logo for an Edgar Sealey Octofloat rod I am doing up at the moment. The logo is the one in gold and green with the wording "Octopus" "ESS" and Registered trade mark and a green octopus on it

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Edgar Sealey changed their logo twice before closing for business in the late Sixties, I'm afraid. Having branded their rods as Octofloat for some time, with a green octopus logo, they carried on with the name but dropped the logo for two intertwined fish, later stylised in a more modern style just before the end came.
Like most companies, they were experimenting with fibreglass as well as carrying on with cane, so some of their rods appear with either logo, in cane or 'glass and even a mixture of the two.

They made the Octofloat, with white ceramic lined tip and butt rings, the Octofloat Deluxe with those rings replaced with agate lined ones and a reel holder of two rings on a floating tube ( I like it, many don't, ....but we all agree it is ruddy cold in winter) and then the Octofloat 2 in pale brown, un gelled fibreglass. Once the gel-coat technology was established they did a number of match rods such as the Blue Arrow, Black Arrow and Featherlight rods.

I have heard of unscrupulous restorers with access to laser jet printers making up labels for highly prized rods, but I think an Octofloat is below their target victims, I'm afraid.

If the rod is for re-sale, I'd leave it with whatever is left on it, if it's for you to use then it is for you to choose. Not a bad rod, and fetching more money of late than for many a year. If you are trying to re-whip it in original silk, you may go to your grave before you find the right red/green jasper ...I thought I'd found some but the ratio between the two colours was wrong.

tenchfisher

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses Indifferent Crucian ! The rod is for my Mrs - I have an earlier Octofloat and bought this one (with the cold metal reel sleeve!) and wanted to do it up - the rod is in very good shape (the original whippings appear to be white/black - I have some similar thread), but the logo's are fairly shot through- hence the reason for the request. I guess I will have to go with the plain "two fish" logo and make up the other "made by Sealey England one myself (I have done this using Word and then will use ink-jet transfers - these have worked well for a rod I made from scratch myself.....

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I had heard this could be done with inkjet transfers. I almost wish it couldn't as I'm sure the technology will be misused by somebody eventually. Indeed I was warned to avoid one dealer for that very reason.

Nevertheless, how marvellous to be able to 'finish' a restoration job off like that.

On another forum a chap showed how he had created a digital image for a particularly sought after rod and the idea was mooted about making a deliberate error to lessen the chance of any deception...in this case by altering the patent application number.

I notice your avatar has a tench and ...is that an Octofloat? The handle looks right.

tenchfisher

Reaction score
Yep - I have an earlier OCTOFLOAT(with an old Trudex in this case), and the one I am doing up for the mem sahib is a later Octofloat de-luxe (with black reel "sleeve" and reel fixings, black winding check and rod butt cap. The transfers were tatty as where the whippings (in white and black jasper incidentally - interesting what you said about red/green- and yes have trawled the internet for this but to no avail so black/white it will have to be!).The rod is actually in really good shape -now all striped down to the raw cane (one ferrule needs glueing back on it was a tad loose). The logos were the usual "made by "Sealey" England one and the two fish logo (which I now thanks to your earlier thread think was correct) ... so will be busy in Word/ Paint and then use ink-jet wet transfer paper (Inkjet Papers and Fabrics, Window Stickers and Other Arts and Craft Materials) to create new logos - done the Sealey one and looks good. I have used this method before for a rod I build on a Norman Agutters carp blank- very good effect.

After years of fishing (and owning more tackle than you can poke a stick at), I have come back to the pleasures of simple fishing for tench/crucians using rods that give you a real feel that you are connected to the fish and a real pleasure in owning - only taken 40+ years to reach that conclusion - give me a 2lb crucian or 5lb Tench over a 30lb "commercial" carp any day!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Ha ha, we are of like mind then. I often fish for tench and crucians on a pond really intended as a training place for youngsters. I don't use the same rod all the time, I too have far too many, but I invariably use the Octofloat Deluxe and a black Trudex!

Spooky !

These may be of some help......

DSC00812.jpg

OctofloatDeluxelatertransfer.jpg

The second picture would appear to be the rod you are working on and with that change of whipping, as they also used on their glass rods,is one of the last Octofloats made. They did a glass octofloat 2 and two hollow built cane rods for another year or so before closing down.

tenchfisher

Reaction score
Greatly appreciate all the info - so white and black whippings probably right then (along with two fish logo). I too live by a small tench pool in deepest Surrey (Cranleigh) - getting even spookier!

Tight lines and thanks once again for all the info

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Some of their last rods were done in black and white or dark, dark blue and white. The very last had a different style to the two fish, more modern and abstract. I had a copy but can't find it now.

Brace yourself......Dunsfold ! :D

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
You're making me jealous now as I'm looking for an Octofloat. Just done up a Sealey spanish reed match rod (the one with the green anodised reel fittings) and it's a lovely rod to use.

If you've found a source of black/white 'twist' thread could you drop me a pm as all the usual suspects are out of stock at the mo.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Don't tell evrybody! I'm already watching it, but it has got a duff logo so it will be next to worthless:wh

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Nice old Sealey rod here if you have £175 to chuck away.. :)

Mr Middleton is a little optimistic in his pricing I think! That's the same rmodel as the match rod I mentioned above. They are a very nice rod provided you don't use them for barbel fishing.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks Tenchfisher. That's the stuff, shame I have to buy such a big spool though - will have a lot of rods finished in black/white form now on!!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Were I not in urgent need to save I would have bid for that Sealey, especially if Tenchfisher could make a transfer to replace the damaged one;).

I am suprised it went so cheaply...the last few all made 3 figures. It seems those transfers are important to collectors.

Perhaps Tenchfisher could start a small cottage insustry?

If anyone ever asks you to make a small gold label with the words 'Built to Endure' on it though...call the Police !

'Splitcane' has been selling rods for some months now and as his reputaion grows so the bidding had become more energetic. Fine looking work from his late Father...when they're gone, ... they're gone!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Won it! Had to take a punt on what it would go for as I was at a black tie do when it closed. The Mrs might have pulled the tie a bit tighter if she'd caught me bidding on Ebay!

There does seem to be a huge price difference between 'users' and potential display specimens when it comes to cane rods.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Well done Sean, I think you got a bit of a bargain there;)

If I'm truthful, the Octopus logo did rather appeal to me and I think it may be part of the reason for the interest in the rod these days.

Nevertheless, mine is one of my best cane rods and gets a lot of use because I got it before the prices went up and so it cost me little.

It's also one of the few rods I own that is still as springey as new and has no droop at all. I have some far more expensive rods, both then and now, and none have aged as well.

I like 'em.

I posted a long one about the black/white silk but it's gone...if you can't get hold of what you need give me a message....I must have several miles on that spool, I've been using it for floats for 2 years and it hasn't got any smaller!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Unfortunately it wasn't a bargain. The cane had gone (either a split or delamination) next to the male ferrule in the tip section. There had been an attempt to repair it which hadn't worked. I'm now having to experience the hassle of returning it for a refund.