Servicing a bait runner reel

flightliner

Reaction score
When a speedboat past me on the Trent yesterday two big waves washed over my bait runner that seemed to tighten up when winding, as the day went on it became worse but not so bad that it wouldn't turn OK when playing a fish,
This morning it was much worse so I ran some light 3 in 1 oil down the drive shaft several times until thankfully it became as free as it was before the two waves washed over it.
Later I went on u tube and watched two videos on how to service bait runners in general.
The two guys couldn't be so different in the way they approached the job, one saying he never puts oil anywhere 'cept the ball races and at that a single drop applied by a cotton bud-- lean to say the least whereas the other guy lashed it on by the bucket load so to speak along with lashings of grease.
So, what are members views on the two very different approaches?
Just to add that I've had my bait runners for thirty odd years now and but for an odd spot of oil as described earlier they seem to perform just as they did when new.

rayner

Reaction score
I reckon any grease in the reel will have reacted to the water making any grease go thick.
The only reels I have ever messed with the insides have been Mitchells the inside of the Mitchell is a real basic gearing.
I used to remove all the grease by washing it with wd40 so I could bat them around for a quicker retrieve back in my match days.
I have Shimano bait runners, taking them apart is not a job I would attempt but if you are confident have a go.
If it now running free I'd go for the suck it and see approach.

chrissh

Reaction score
Mick, I have tubs of water resistant grease and bottles bantam oil, ill drop you some off if you want some

Oiling your reel, its 1-2 drops of oil

Greasing the gears on you reel put a small amount of grease on your finger tip and work the grease into the teeth of the gear give it a spring and wipe the excess off

TimFB

Reaction score
Mick, I have tubs of water resistant grease and bottles bantam oil, ill drop you some off if you want some

Greasing the gears on you reel put a small amount of grease on your finger tip and work the grease into the teeth of the gear give it a spring and wipe the excess off
Same - a drop or two of oil in any bearings, grease on any gears and shafts. I use marine waterproof grease...it is seriously thick stuff, but you won’t get the problems you have just experienced. Years ago, I used to service multiplier reels for a charter boat...we literally filled them with waterproof grease to cope with a year’s worth of saltwater dousing and customer abuse. You don’t need to do that extreme treatment with your baitrunners, but a decent waterproof grease will make all the difference.

mikench

Reaction score
Not done any service yet on any reels. I check and leave well alone with the occasional drop of Singer sewing machine oil.

flightliner

Reaction score

Chrissh, many thanks for your generous offer but as mentioned if ever I have another problem with my bait runners I think I'd be sending them off for a service by an expert, I'm like Rayner inasmuch as my confidence goes as far as servicing my old Mitchells.
But thank you!!