Setting a float

mikench

Reaction score
I see a float first and foremost as it is intended to be, namely, a visual aid to a bite. In my mind a float that is barely visible is a waste of time. I use Visiwags mainly and with the addition of 2 floatstops and a quick change swivel the float cocks nicely, is sufficiently visible for my eyes and remains sensitive enough for me to notice bites even drop back ones. I bought some cheap float stops from China which cost peanuts for dozens. They are not tight on small diameter mono so I put two at the bottom and the problem is solved.

Yesterday I used the first pack of stops I found which were gardner barrel stops and I used 3.as normal. As I mused on the lack of bites and disinterest in the bait offerings , I also couldn't work out why my float was at least .5 " lower in the water . It was still visible , just , but became less so when falling leaves were drawn to it like a magnet. It was Gordon who, correctly it appears, surmised that the stops were probably fractionally heavier than the cheapo variety and that a single stop , which appears weightless, is probably 0.2gm and thus the equivalent of several small shot. That was an eye opener to me.

How low or high to you prefer your float say at 25 plus yards ? Even I'm ok with a pimple close in.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't like much more than 25mm and preferably less, 20mm at distance, 10 close in. Apart from the sensitivity, the more that's stuck out the more likely it is to catch the wind, it's also one of the reasons I prefer a thin bristle.

" a single stop , which appears weightless, is probably 0.2gm " It was the stops and link combined that I said were ~0.2, 0.222 having just checked. They don't feel that heavy in the hand, they're deceptively heavy.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I usually like between a half to one centimetre max showing above the surface when I’m fishing at distance on the waggler; although in very choppy water I may have slightly more showing so that the float is not constantly disappearing under the waves.

At closer ranges I sometimes dot my float right down to a mm or two so it hardly stands proud of the surface; but it depends largely on what bait I am using and what fish I’m expecting to take my bait.

I very rarely use float stops as I usually like to bunch my bulk shot up against the bottom of my wagglers unless I’m trying to combat surface tow (then I’ll move it down into the undertow).

NB: before you ask; I can’t remember the last time I had any shot weakening my line as I don’t pinch it on too tightly :)

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I found that with my aging eyes I needed more and more of a float tip visible when fishing.

Then I had bi-lateral cataracts operation and now have the tiniest sliver of a float visible.

In choppy days I still keep it as low as possible and if it disappears I work on the principle of: " now you see it, now you don't, now you do, now you don't, now you don't" . . strike.

theartist

Reaction score
In choppy days I still keep it as low as possible and if it disappears I work on the principle of: " now you see it, now you don't, now you do, now you don't, now you don't" . . strike.

I do this too, it's almost hypnotic how you get into a rhythm of the chop and if that float isn't abiding by it then it's a bite. Then you look at the bank to rest your eyes and the whole world is spinning.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I dot mine down as much as I can, I have even had them slighty overshotted and then the bristle dipped in vaseline to just keep it above the surface, A lot of my pole rigs have the bristle showing around 1cm, it's just a case of adding trim shot to suit.
I have seen anglers fishing the waggler with that much showing you could moor a boat to it.
As for now you see it now you dont, I usually count to 5 and give a slight lift or strike, if nothing there, the bait has hardly moved out of position.when you lower it back in.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
For wagglers I usually set the float so that about 10mm is showing. If it’s a bit choppy I will often use a thicker tip this also helps counteract drift if you have the bait dragging. I see people fishing with inches of tip showing, unless they get an absolute sail away take they must miss loads of bites.

I find that at times some fish only move the tip a tad and this wouldn’t be noticeable if there was an inch or more tip showing. Crucians for example can be particularly finicky. Luckily they can usually be caught close in and I set the float to show the minimum amount almost a dimple on the surface. Also if they are biting really shyly I place a decent sized dropper really close to the hook this really enhances lift bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob48

Reaction score
Assuming the reference is to lakes, it depends on what depth the fish are feeding, and if fished on the bottom, the strength of the tow.

rayner

Reaction score
The amount of show on the tip varies, I have no set length of show it can vary through the day never mind the start of a session.
It's all dependant of the conditions IE wind, light and drift. If the conditions are flat calm dot it down if conditions are not so good give more show.

Reaction score
It all depends how you are trying to present your bait,what bait,if your shot is laying on the bottom and how much,the list is endless and certainly not just an aid to show a bite,it often is the reason you get the bite,shame you don't live nearer Mike,watching how it works sometimes is the only way to understand the methodology of float fishing....

sam vimes

Reaction score
How long is a piece of string? It depends on conditions (wind, tow, depth, light) the exact type of float, the fish species, the depth I'm fishing, the range I'm fishing, the response from the fish, the time of year and the float set up/method. That's just with stillwater in mind, you can add another layer of complexity for fishing flowing water.

silvers

Reaction score
I’m with Alan on this one ... the primary purpose of the float is to present the bait in the place and manner that will elicit bites ... the registering of bites is at best secondary.

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the knowledge of when the float is presenting it correctly and what adjustments need to be made to achieve that goal,notice I didn't say skill,though using knowledge is a skill I suppose...