Shelf life of bait

magellan

Reaction score
Obviously I’m not talking about live baits, maggots, worms, casters etc, but unopened bags of groundbait, pellets, jars of wafters and the like do they go off?

Mike

theartist

Reaction score
You would think so, I don't risk anything that's from the previous season but know someone who get's old pellets and uses them for his pondfish, as far as I know they are ok, unless he was doing an experiment.

Maybe dried baits like pellets and mixers would have a longer shelf life than jelly hookers or anything that's in gloopy liquid but as it's not for human consumption I expect nobody knows

rich66

Reaction score
I always assume there’s some degradation in pellets but I still use them. I seal my bags up tight and keep them cool/dark. I’ve half a bag of 8 mm Robin reds that are just over 2 years old they smell ok to me ? Same with groundbait mixes I just use them till they are gone.
I only take with me enough for a session or two.

john step

Reaction score
Judging by the pong of the thick black silt on a lake bed which the fish root about in, I doubt they find old pellets unpleasant.
As long as it has no mould which may possibly be harmful I think its OK.

magellan

Reaction score
Cheers guys, I had no idea how old some of my stuf was, anything up to four years. So I had a clear out and bought all new, now I've put the date on to keep track.

Mike

peytr

Reaction score
It will get old and -at some point- could be less attractive to the fish.

I feel fresh is better, realising this might be a result of anthropomorphizing our beloved subjects.
Nonetheless, to keep things as fresh as possible I keep even my dry ingredients in the freezer and buy or prepare in small quantities.

Best regards,

Peter

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The only baits I have an issue with once they're past their best before date are the Ringers 10mm and 8mm shellfish boilies - they dry out and split as soon as a baiting needle goes anywhere near them. When pellets dry out, a quick squirt of liquid pellet and a shake is usually enough to refresh them and stop them from floating.

Reaction score
Pellets have a use before date and apparently there is some danger to fish,so now,rather than buy a sack,I buy four of five kilos at a time from G&M growers,Biggleswade,knowing im going to use them,the bonus is that they are not a bad pellet and are relatively cheap compared to shop boughts...

Paste paul

Reaction score
Obviously I’m not talking about live baits, maggots, worms, casters etc, but unopened bags of groundbait, pellets, jars of wafters and the like do they go off?

Mike
No mate they don’t.....
I’ve used mine years after opening them and caught plenty...... the only thing to watch out for is damp that will ruin all of the above...... just keep them dry I put mine in big sealed plastic boxes......

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
No mate they don’t.....
I’ve used mine years after opening them and caught plenty...... the only thing to watch out for is damp that will ruin all of the above...... just keep them dry I put mine in big sealed plastic boxes......
I have used empty 4 litre milk cartons as well as boxes, I found I can "pour" the pellets into a tub for a days fishing without any escaping over the edges of a box as has happened on occasions when tipping them from box to tub.

rayner

Reaction score
Baits cost too much to throw them away. It's simple if I buy a food product for fish it gets used, not that I have many baits left over that can't be frozen or fridged. Packets of dry baits last forever, if you are too tight to feed them, another option is if you are going to throw bait send it my way.

magellan

Reaction score
In the past I've bought stuff that never got used, so now I buy what I need when I need it. Usually 2m pellets for the feeder and 6/8m pellets for bait, plus a jar of mixed wafters. I always have a couple of cans of corn plus a meat and a can of hemp, but they last if unopened.