Shelf Life?

nottskev

Reaction score
All this talk about lines, hooklengths, storage systems........... how long do you keep things for before you start to wonder if they're still in top condition? That can be reel lines, tied hooks, pole rigs, elastics. And what, in your view, lengthens or shortens their shelf life?

Reaction score
Some lines go downhill quickly,my worries about hooklengths in boxes is that the boxes can be continually opened and closed,allowing line's biggest enemy ultra-violet light to get at it,the modern hi-tech lines are affected worse I believe,we want strong knots,then allow lines to demise,how long,who knows,but it happens,so beware...

bullet

Reaction score
Old Nylon I've found while out fishing can be very brittle, might have been there years, I suppose.

nottskev

Reaction score
Old Nylon I've found while out fishing can be very brittle, might have been there years, I suppose.

Know what you're mean. But when I get tangled in other peoples old lines who've cast into snags and broken off, it's like trying to break steel cable!

bullet

Reaction score
That doesn't surprise me.
In my neck of the woods it's usually 15lb plus, and if you do get it out there'll be a 6 inch rubber shad on the end!

nottskev

Reaction score
That doesn't surprise me.
In my neck of the woods it's usually 15lb plus, and if you do get it out there'll be a 6 inch rubber shad on the end!

Spot on... with a 2/0 hook. Up here some think you need a hawser to catch a barbel out in the middle of the river. If you ever pull it in there'll be a coke tin feeder on it. And some carp-fishing gubbins.

john step

Reaction score
I have a confession to make. I keep my bulk spools in an even temperature in the dark in a wooden box.
A couple of years ago at the same I started using a pole again for winter silvers I discovered a bulk spool of 2lb b s line that I made rigs up with.

This bulk spool of Blue Dolphin from Veals of Bristol must be at least 30 years old. I tried it on the scales. It is still supple and is still a very good 2lb bs line. It stands up against any recent line. Unfortunately it will soon run out.

Reaction score
Im using Golden Marlin 3lb(but have 2,4,6lb too) that must be the same age,still better than most of the sh#t you buy today...

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
I've been using what must now be twenty year-old Sundridge Force Original Green in 12oz, 1.0lb and 1.5lb for running water float fishing hooklengths and it shows no sign of deterioration or weakening, it's just been kept in a tackle box drawer with other lines. Best line for the purpose I've ever tried. The1.0lb, being the most used, has all gone now but I've managed to find some 1.1lb and 1.7lb Bayer on the original small blue spools and that looks to be decent.

Reaction score
I can remember using 8oz hooklinks many,many years ago,I seem to think it was bayer perlon,but it was a lifetime ago now,I got a three pound carp out on the whip(no elastic)on it in a league match on the canal...

mikench

Reaction score
If looked after most things can last forever except those non fishing items with a built in date for failure like phones, batteries and white goods. Tackle used for sea fishing if not cleaned and washed off won't last long.

Reaction score
Do you know Mike,about three years ago I bought two 500 sized front drag reels from China for if I remember correctly about a fiver each,these were for lrf for wrasse,gobies etc,they have been used several times a year in salt water and after each outing I rinsed them out under the tap,along with the rod rings,they still run as sweet as a nut,the rod rings show no sign of corrosion in spite of being cheap and nasty...

RMNDIL

Reaction score
I've been using what must now be twenty year-old Sundridge Force Original Green in 12oz, 1.0lb and 1.5lb for running water float fishing hooklengths and it shows no sign of deterioration or weakening, it's just been kept in a tackle box drawer with other lines. Best line for the purpose I've ever tried. The1.0lb, being the most used, has all gone now but I've managed to find some 1.1lb and 1.7lb Bayer on the original small blue spools and that looks to be decent.
If it's REAL Bayer Perlon & correctly labelled as such then it'll have to be at least 23 years old as it stopped in (I am 95% sure) 1998. But PERLON carried on as the separate Monofil manufacturer/distributor after Dorlaston.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The oldest line I have is some Don's of Edmonton 0.06mm 12oz line that dates back to 1975; still OK. I bought boxes of Team Daiwa line around 15 years ago, all OK. The only line I've ever have go off was boxed Ignesti Special (over 20 years old) half of which suddenly became weak. I've got some Force 1.5lb that is nearly 30 years old that is OK.

nottskev

Reaction score

Force was a great line! You could use it with such confidence of getting everything out. Mind you, I tried it in higher strengths, and it was hopeless -above 2lb it got wiry and disobedient. I bought half a dozen spools of 1 and 1.5lb from North West Angling Centre years and years ago and used every last inch. I'd buy more if only I could. Another lovely, stretchy, greenish line of the day was Racine Tortue. I'd use that, too.

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
If it's REAL Bayer Perlon & correctly labelled as such then it'll have to be at least 23 years old as it stopped in (I am 95% sure) 1998. But PERLON carried on as the separate Monofil manufacturer/distributor after Dorlaston.
It looks the genuine article, a bit of strech and the right colour. "Feels" right, strength-wise, without anything scientific.
I bought some "Bayer Perlon" 1.7lb last year on larger purple spools branded "Kamasan" and it was weak as cotton, breaking when I was tightening knots up, so that went straight in the bin.
I don't know if they're both genuine and the one was poorly stored or if the one was a copy.

rob48

Reaction score
Force was a great line! You could use it with such confidence of getting everything out. Mind you, I tried it in higher strengths, and it was hopeless -above 2lb it got wiry and disobedient. I bought half a dozen spools of 1 and 1.5lb from North West Angling Centre years and years ago and used every last inch. I'd buy more if only I could. Another lovely, stretchy, greenish line of the day was Racine Tortue. I'd use that, too.
Yes, you could land just about anything on the 1.5lb and the 12oz was the go to line for winter fishing when bites were hard to get. I loved the 2.2lb RT, and it was just the right strength for float fishing between the 1.7 and 2.6 BP, although Bayer subsequently introduced their 2.1lb.
Force is still available in the heavier strains and I've bought 250yd spools of 3lb and 4lb for only a few quid and found it alright for whip rigs as it's quite thin, 0.13 and 0.15 respectively, and has the right amount of of stretch. Also OK for hooklengths when ledgering.