Shelter pole question

wumfi

Reaction score
Evening all,

I’ve got a Korum Supalite shelter, and for the most part it’s fine. Keeps the rain off. Big enough for me etc.

The only problem I have is that if the wind hits it from the side, it has a tendency to collapse. It does this because the leading edge of the roof has no pole.

However, it does have the option to add a storm pole across the top. It has 2 bank stick compatible male screw ends, with a plastic tube slid over. I’ve tried my back stick and it fits perfectly on the thread, but the plastic tube is too small to accommodate the spiked end (it’s pivoted, so when under tension the bank stick rotates out).

I cannot find any long bank sticks with the female screw at both ends. I’ve looked at storm poles as well, but they tend to have one end that’s either got the spike or a corkscrew for digging in the ground.

Does anyone know of what I should be looking for? Is there an adapter to convert the spiked end of a standard bank stick to the female threaded part?

Ta

john step

Reaction score
I watched a Youtube video after reading your post as I could not understand what you were meaning. I see that the front edge of the shelter would sag with a wind buffeting.
Have a look at bivvies and their poles either on the bank or in a tackle shop.

The one I have has a expanding pole front to back. On each end is a plastic claw looking clip that clips front to back to tension it on the bivvy pole.
I believe you can get spare ones of these.
You may be able to utilise such a pole directly or adapting it to stay in place with electric strap or similar.

wumfi

Reaction score
Thanks John. Do you happen to know the name/make of your bivvy? Just so I can have a search for that elusive pole.

For more context, what I’m basically looking for is either:

a) A way of changing the spiked end of a bank stick to the same as the other end (the female screw in socket).
b) A way of joining two bank sticks together at the spiked end.

I just think it’s daft that they specifically put the male screw in part at each side of the bivvy, and yet no poles exist in that configuration!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Two storm poles are meant to go from the male screw threads to the ground. However, that will only give a little more rigidity and structural integrity. Should you want a more solid shelter, you'll have to sacrifice the light weight and portability that the Supalite gives you.

The following video should make it obvious how storm poles are intended to be used.

wumfi

Reaction score
Thanks Sam. That makes sense now!

The only problem is that the structural weakness comes from lateral force. Adding more vertical poles will improve it a bit, but it will still be able to collapse if it’s pushed inwards from the sides.

At least I now understand how they intend them to be used. I know a guy that is an engineer and likes a challenge. Going to see if he can make me something that slots over the spiked end of a storm/bank stick, and provides the female screw hole (no sniggering at the back please).