Shhhhhhh! How noisy/quiet are you?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It's always amusing to see the range of daft reasons blokes can give for any woman who dares to catch more, or bigger fish than they can . Some of the more Jurassic era salmon anglers even convinced themselves it was all down to pheromones -anything reason at all than the shocking truth that some women are just seriously good anglers.
I wouldn't be too sure, we used to go down to Staines when I was a kid, my dad and me would sit there and catch about one poxy roach an hour if we were lucky. Mum would sometimes hold the rod and started catching about 1 a minute and as soon as she handed it back my dad would revert back to 1 an hour.

theartist

Reaction score
I seem to catch more with the missus in tow, I think any theories about women anglers regardless of their ability are far from daft. Romantic maybe but not daft

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Can you hear yourself talking?
No, but when I anchored the pole with the camera to the fishing stage, all the knocks on the stage transmitted down the pole and could beheard which makes me think that fishing stages are much worse than soft earth.
The only fish I've found very susceptible to voices is rudd; they don't like talking/shouting at all yet tolerated hitting a stake into the ground with a sledge hammer whereas the carp were the opposite. Roach don't like banging on the bank hence my utter hatred of mallets used to put banksticks etc. into the ground.

rayner

Reaction score
Even though I detest being aggravated on the bank I can't say I would class myself as quiet, on the contrary, I'm a little noisy I don't seem to be able to do much without crashing around even though I'm mostly sat in my chair. I keep most things on my side tray, anything else is either dropped on the platform or pulled across it with my stick.
I don't really mind a bit of noise if I'm the culprit, woe betides any outside interference.
I fill a bottle with lake water when the margins are quiet fish wise to attract fish, it works surprisingly well. That's hardly being quiet.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve had large Chub swimming right besides my waders when I’ve been standing in the water with a fishing rod in my hands and they didn’t seem spooked at all; however these same Chub have spooked and shot away as soon as they’ve seen me standing on the bank in sight of them.

I’ve also seen a video of a diver swimming in a river with Roach, Dace and Chub swimming past him; so it seems that they get more spooked by movement and noise which is coming from above them and out of the water than in the water, which seemed a little strange to me, but it was surprisingly true.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I’ve had large Chub swimming right besides my waders when I’ve been standing in the water with a fishing rod in my hands and they weren’t spooked at all; however the same Chub have spooked and shot away when I’ve been standing on the bank in sight of them. It’s strange but true.

Keith
I don't know it it is the same thing but on one occasion I took a boat down a river just paddling away and all the birdlife just didn't worry about me at all, birds that would normally duck and dive if I was on the bank just carried on like I wasn't there; it was very noticeable. I suspect whatever reason that is might be the same for fish.

john step

Reaction score
I’ve had large Chub swimming right besides my waders when I’ve been standing in the water with a fishing rod in my hands and they didn’t seem spooked at all; however these same Chub have spooked and shot away as soon as they’ve seen me standing on the bank in sight of them. It’s strange but true.

Keith
Keith I had a similar experince but with otters on Wallers Haven in Sussex in a match. (Before the modern advent of many otters)

I was wading up to my thighs on a cow drink due to the steep bank where I was pegged A couple of young otters came and frolicked amongst my tackle on the bank.
I was concerned they would root around and discover my sandwiches so I poked them with the landing net.
That had no effect what ever and they carried on ignoring me.

A few minutes later someone walked along the bank and they scooted off pretty quick. I presume someone wading didnt register as human.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I did a bit of snorkelling a few years ago. I was about thirty feet from the shore which was shingle and I could clearly hear every footstep of the people on the shore. Some people were putting up umbrellas and windbreaks and I could hear the poles being pushed and hammered in. I have always tried to be quiet when freshwater fishing but never gave it a thought when beach fishing. Boat fishing is different again. I was lucky enough to fish with Bob Cox and John Rawle out of Bradwell during the early days of uptiding. They thought that clonking about in the boat and the noise of the tide running past the anchor rope made the hull of the boat sound like the body of a violin. The fish would avoid the area directly under and around the boat. As the fish moved along with the tide they would avoid the noisy area and this would create a richer area as the fish that would have gone under the boat moved away. This was bourn out in practice as those casting away from the boat would almost always be more successful. Apart from all of that noisy beggars are a right jar. If I wanted to hear someone bawling or shouting into a phone I could just stay indoors and listen to the missus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullet

Reaction score
Bite alarms get on my nerves, why do some people have them so loud?
After all, if you're sitting by the rods you shouldn't need anything louder than the click of the baitrunner.
Then again, I can't stand noisy fly reels, so maybe its just me.

john step

Reaction score
After all, if you're sitting by the rods you shouldn't need anything louder than the click of the baitrunner.

Sometimes I have to sit back a couple of yards from the rods due to squelchy flooded banks, as per right now.
My hearing leaves something to be desired.
To save having the alarms on a loud setting I have discovered that if I switch the sounder box to vibrate and put it under my hat.
No missing that.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
This drives me potty to, on the rare occasion I go and fish a lake, (the kind of day ticket pool) there’s always one knobber who has his alarms on max. Your sat there in peace and all you can here is bleep, bleep whilst he messes about. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s an attention thing, very much the same as the chap who wishes everyone to know he’s had another one.
Tbh the above stuff is why I very rarely fish those kind of venues, I just want some peace an quiet and other peoples “activities” drive me nuts. On that subject, the next Carp angler who puts there distance sticks across the path will be getting them thrown in!

john step

Reaction score
I think the thing about bite alarms is that its just one more example of people whether they be anglers or not.

The loud exhausts on cars (The bigger the exhaust the smaller the brain and probably penis to boot)
The match boys who shout across the water.
Constant Trash, sorry music in supermarkets.
Phone conversations on public transport so that all around know about their haemorrhoids etc.
Humbug.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
The loud exhausts on cars (The bigger the exhaust the smaller the brain and probably penis to boot)
Humbug.

To be fair, and when it’s a 1 litre fiesta I agree but you can’t make a 600hp engine quiet, arguably you shouldn’t. Most of us can appreciate something that can’t help but be loud.

John Aston

Reaction score
I adore fast cars and motorsport and one of the reasons I am half deaf is a youth spent too near unsilenced racing cars . But out of context, engine noise can grate. I was fishing a lake about 3 miles away from an airfield trackday venue and after a pleasant hour thinking '911? ' , 'M 3' 'R 8 perhaps ?' I began to find it extremely annoying and intrusive .

Most cars with 600bhp are very shouty - intentionally . But they really don't need to be at all - many modern Bentleys and Rolls pack that sort of power and can waft by in near silence. Much quieter than a parptastic Audi S3 with half as much power .

Last edited by a moderator:

seth49

Reaction score
When I’m fishing I try and be as quiet as possible, although if the three of us are fishing, and there’s no one else there, we do get a bit of banter going, at least until the carp start showing up in the margins.

I did show Neil how to push bank sticks with a towel, instead of using a bloody mallet, that really annoys me.

Talking of loud cars one guy used to come onto the car park I used to litter pick in a morning, he drove a Maserati , he would park it and blip the throttle, which set lots of car alarms off, he would then walk of grinning.,

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
I adore fast cars and motorsport and one of the reasons I am half deaf is a youth spent too near unsilenced racing cars . But out of context, engine noise can grate. I was fishing a lake about 3 miles away from an airfield trackday venue and after a pleasant hour thinking '911? ' , 'M 3' 'R 8 perhaps ?' I began to find it extremely annoying and intrusive .

Most cars with 600bhp are very shouty - intentionally . But they really don't need to be at all - many modern Bentleys and Rolls pack that sort of power and can waft by in near silence. Much quieter than a parptastic Audi S3 with half as much power .

Agreed everything in context, which is why virtually all track days now have a noise limit, ironically the cars that annoy most of us on the road are probably too loud to be on track days now. I think what winds most people up is the local chav with his fart cannon hooning it down residential streets.

If you’ve spend that much time with fast cars though, we both know silence comes at a cost, both actual cost but also is engineering losses or variables. Without boring everyone else. If we took the same car with the same exhaust and changed the cam to a high lift one the car would be louder, particularly if it was a big ol’ pushrod jobbie. The inherent differences between say a 911 turbo and a Bentley Continental which make similar power but how it’s achieved it is vastly different. Hence why you or I can sit there and know what car from the sound. My own toy is relatively quiet, then the two Garrets open their wastegate’s about 3.5krpm and it’s a different affair, I’m mindful of this and always keep off the throttle as I come into the village.

Ironically I blame Jaguar a brand not thought of for noise, for the endless stream of hatchbacks popping and banging atm. The F Type being mapped to crackle at every lift of the throttle seems to have inspired every Focus owner to make their car sound like it’s on K Jet or Carbs.

John Aston

Reaction score
Indeed - a year or two ago I was in hack mode , reporting on a Brands Hatch race meeting . Wandering around the paddock I heard this painfully loud varoom -crack- crack- crack- pop - BANG and thought WTF is THAT ? It was somebody's F Type V6 Jaguar road car. ...designed, I assume, to appeal to 12 year olds of all ages...

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Indeed - a year or two ago I was in hack mode , reporting on a Brands Hatch race meeting . Wandering around the paddock I heard this painfully loud varoom -crack- crack- crack- pop - BANG and thought WTF is THAT ? It was somebody's F Type V6 Jaguar road car. ...designed, I assume, to appeal to 12 year olds of all ages...

Yeah, I believe what they’ve done is mapped fuel to be injected on the closed throttle loop. Gives that old school race car feel. My old Ford had twin 40s on it and when it was being given death it would do it. Third gear down shift on a hot exhaust, boom boom, pop, not in the car park... I suppose it’s a bit like dump valves, fun for five minutes.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Anyone who knows me would recognise my dulcit tones,the fish must like it,wish women found it more attractive though.... :cry: