Shimano Aero BB reels

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using these? I can't find much about them beyond manufacturers blurb. I'm looking for a dual purpose reel, one where it's happy on my 11ft 60g feeder rod, but also on my power float rod where I'm targeting tench with the odd carp needing to be prepared for. I've found the 4k for about £50, which is a nice saving, but wonder whether the 3k might be a better sizing, I just can't see any clear images of someone holding one or using them where I can tell the size!

Any info from someone who's got either size would be ideal
Many thanks
Chris

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Might be too late to answer, but I had a couple of the Aero BB reels until a few weeks ago. I thought they were as good as the Aero XR, which is identical in size, but use different materials and twice the price (albeit with a spare spool).

However, I sold mine and bought a Daiwa LT Ninja Black (from Angling D1rect) and two Daiwa 20 LT Legalis reels (currently £49.95 on eBay), because after spending my whole life looking no further than Shimano reels, I feel that the Daiwa's are better made. Both are gorgeous little reels.

Mine are all 3000 size, for light spinning, float fishing with a 14ft Acolyte and freelining (although I've yet to buy a rod for that).

The BBs were 5000 size, because I thought I might use them for winter trotting, where a bigger spool would help release line. The advantage of the 3000 size is that although I have big hands, it's easier to use the index finger to control the line when casting.

I put up Images of the BB and XR on this forum - you should be able to find them with a search, but there are none in the hand, so to speak.

Keith M

Reaction score
The BBs were 5000 size, because I thought I might use them for winter trotting, where a bigger spool would help release line.

In my view Shimano 5000 Series reels are a bit too large for trotting but that’s just my view.

I currently use a Shimano 4000 FA front drag reel (see pic) when I’m trotting for Barbel, Carp and Chub which has a very small body size coupled with a much wider diameter spool which improves the casting of small to medium sized floats as your line spills off of the spool much easier when compared to smaller diameter spools like the Ninja’s.
Plus the Shimano came with two spools plus two spool reducers; whereas the ninja I bought (and then returned) only came with one spool.

However that’s just my view and there’s plenty of other anglers who like the ninjas.

NB: In the picture the spool has one of the spool reducers fitted.

Keith

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Here is an Aero XR3000 in my hand. The reel is approximately 5" long. I believe it's the same size as the BB.

20230519_183521.jpg

And here it is next to the 4000 size. Note the larger knob on the bigger reel.

20230527_205214.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
In my view Shimano 5000 Series reels are a bit too large for trotting but that’s just my view.

I currently use a Shimano 4000 FA front drag reel (see pic) when I’m trotting...

The Aero 5000 is 40g lighter than the Shimano 4000 FA feeder reel. Wouldn't the large diameter spool of a 5000 do exactly what you describe - in terms of spilling the line easily off the spool (of a 4000) - only better?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Interesting, despite the different size bodies, the handles are interchangeable between the Aero XR3000 and XR4000. If you don't like the bigger knobbed handle.