Shimano fireblood feeder 11 or 12'

hague01

Reaction score
Hi. If anyone has a nice example of the above they are willing to sell please let me know. Just aquired a c14 twin power ra which I have sought for ages and would like to pair it with a f/b. They seem to be like hen's teeth.

sam vimes

Reaction score
They are from an era when Shimano UK were in turmoil. Part way through the Fireblood's product cycle, Shimano hacked their product ranges to death. The Fireblood Feeder went from second in the feeder line up (behind the Aspire Ultra) to top between the 2014 and 2015 catalogues. They also reduced the range of rods within the Fireblood feeder range. In 2014 there were 7 Fireblood Feeder rods, including your desired 11 and 12' models. In the 2015 catalogue, the number of variants was down to 4. They dumped the 11' light (L), the 13' extra heavy (XH) and 14' extra heavy long (XHL) models completely.

From about 2010 to 2015(ish) I bought quite a few Shimano rods. Though my interest in feeder rods is negligible, I did watch out for Shimano rods at knockdown prices. I'd also look out for them in bricks and mortar shops. I never did see a Fireblood, match or feeder, in the flesh in any tackle shop I visited. I did see Aspire Ultras, Speedcasts and Super Ultegras from the same catalogues, but never Firebloods.

It seemed to me that few actually wanted to buy Shimano rods, especially top end ones, particularly at full SSP. Shops only seemed interested in stocking them when Shimano offered them deals. The Fireblood just seemed to be one of the more expensive Shimano products that got lost in the cracks. There were quite a few rods and reels that suffered a similar fate, including the Twinpower Ci4 RA that you've struggled to get hold of. I like these reels so much that I bought spares at clearance prices when they were discontinued. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that could improve these reels is the addition of the wide diameter spools (with line reducers) from the Stradic Ci4+ RA.

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
Wow, that's a brilliant comprehensive explanation for which I am most grateful. Like you I have only seen the fireblood in catalogs, not in the flesh.I wondered if they were only offered abroad but Angling direct/ bobco and others seem to have offered them. I have a passion for shimano rear drags.I finally plumbed for the biomaster s/sra and( dont ask) have 9. I got 7 new from Italy about 2 years ago having bought the others new here.I think they are brilliant but just felt I would like to go to the top with the c 14+.Seems the lightweight knocks about 20% off the weight of the bios 260/320 approx.
I have a collection of nice rods, all married up to the bios but just felt like getting something different for the t/p so having watched out for f/d's for 3 years thought I would have a look round. Just bid on a sportex barbel on Ebay. Who knows, its just a punt.I really appreciate your advice.I have widened the net to include aspire ultras in a search on ebay.
I will let you know if I may, what I end up with, if anything.

hague01

Reaction score
ps. you helped me out by telling me of a few places I could fish around Pickering.I will be looking at these more carefully soon as my visit is still mid August!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a passion for shimano rear drags.I finally plumbed for the biomaster s/sra and( dont ask) have 9. I got 7 new from Italy about 2 years ago having bought the others new here.I think they are brilliant but just felt I would like to go to the top with the c 14+.Seems the lightweight knocks about 20% off the weight of the bios 260/320 approx.
The Biomaster RA was another reel that I never got to see in the flesh. Few places bothered to stock them. It seems that the wholesale switch to front drag reels has rendered the high price rear drag Shimanos as a niche product that few want. If you do like such reels, the Stradic Ci4+ RA is well worth consideration. The oversized spools and line reducers are the big plus point over previous Shimano rear drag models.

ps. you helped me out by telling me of a few places I could fish around Pickering.I will be looking at these more carefully soon as my visit is still mid August!
Good luck, I know for sure that Selley Bridge and Welham have reopened. I would expect that Wykeham will have too. Rosedale and Brooklands might be different as they are also caravan sites.

hague01

Reaction score
Cheers for that. I did try the black stradics, had a 2.5 and 2 4's but the handle bugged me so they went. My caldias went for the same reason. I only fish smallish venues so 150 m or so is plenty. The grandkids are not coming with us as originally planned due to the bug, so I will have more time to fish. Oh dear how sad never mind!

hague01

Reaction score
The ones I had Sam had handles which wound back and came off. Like the caldia. The best ,to me, was the TDR press release. I just felt the risk of dropping the handle in the water, I am 75, after all , told me to remove the risk.

hague01

Reaction score
they are German.There was a famous rod builder ( Tony Fordham I think) who died recently (2017 it says) but he was famous for his hand built rods, particularly for carp fishing, built on sportex blanks, from about 60 years ago onward.
I was just looking for something different ( but not normark etc money) to play with. I am pleased to say that I believe I have finally mastered, almost, the use of polaris floats. Tried and gave up so many times over the years but the answer, for me at least , was in two simple steps which have been put in place over the last few weeks and brought impressive results. Rather than change the tackle every time, I wanted a rod which could be permanently set up using my new( old) reel and a polaris for bigger waters and it should fit the bill. If I get a top end shimano feeder then I will set up either a hardy or harrison depending on venues. Been also persevering with infusing my own flavoured pellets, both feed and hair and band.Its been a lot of fun and for the last 2 weeks at least, very successful. Wont last of course but already working on alternatives to try next.Keeps me from going doolaly or as those who know me will say, merely confirms I have been there for what seems to them,ages!.
Not sure the seller realizes he has underestimated the carriage so anticipate a problem which I will deal with if it arises.Having spend over a thousand on 3 barbel rods in the last 10 months this one was ticket money. I am waiting to see when it gets dispatched. Hope all well with you. Alec