Shimano Twin power reels

hague01

Reaction score
I am probably wrong, as usual, but the twin power name to me is simply that there are two methods of adjusting the clutch. The round knob at the end( not me this time) which is shown on entry level rear drag shimano's. which are fine, then there is, on dearer models, the additional lever which fine tunes the knob. I set my clutch to almost stiff with the knob with the lever to max, ie pushed right, then move the lever to max left to fish. Then only very rarely do I need to touch the knob again. Tri drag has front adjustment as well. I am always willing to learn so happy to hear where I am going wrong.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There have been at least three different Twinpower reel models that I'm aware of. One was front drag, one rear drag with fightin' drag and one with all three drag adjustments on a single reel. Twinpower is just a name that Shimano occasionally uses on different reels and rods. In that respect it is no different to Aerocast, which also sounds like it might describe some feature but is just a name.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
As Sam explained. The Twin power name is just that. It's part of Shimanos range.

The twin drags you mention are what Shimano call(ed) their 'fighting drag' system. As far as I'm aware it is simply a case of adjusting the main drag to your chosen point. Then using the lever drag to be able to quickly make adjustments when playing a fish without changing your main drag.

hague01

Reaction score
Just by way of coincidence Mike I managed to buy last week, an unused twin power RSA c 14+ 4000. No spare spools( they originally came with 3) but have sourced 2 new ones to make a complete set. Cant be many similar around anymore. Pleasure is somewhat muted as I missed out on getting a pair. Not at all sure of the merits or practicality of having 2 clutches and perhaps that is why they were not great sellers.
I have bought over the year 3 of the new stradics ( fl's). They are really nice smooth reels but I prefer the balance of c 14 stradics, which I got earlier, so keeping those in preference to the Fl versions. Trust all is well with you.
Alec

xenon

Reaction score
No idea how they compare to stradic's but i can tell you twin power's are very good indeed-mine is 15 years old and is as good as new, despite heavy use (not abuse)

nottskev

Reaction score
Are these any good and which model replicates most closely the rear drag and fighting drag of the Stradic C14 2500/4000 ra?

Good question Mike! It woke me up from my usual torpor. I don't know how I missed it before. I've had a pair of Twinpower XTRA 4000's for about 14 years and I think nearly every barbel I've caught, aside from some on a pin and a few stillwater surprises, has been on these. I didn't take to them that wildly at first, for superficial reasons like being Grey/Silver not black, but the more I've used them, the more I've been impressed. Totally solid and reliable and the drag is faultless. I'll be sending them off for a service - a first - in the close season and I'm expecting them to go on and on. The high used prices say something about them. Here they are, just waiting for some warm rain

tp1.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just by way of coincidence Mike I managed to buy last week, an unused twin power RSA c 14+ 4000. No spare spools( they originally came with 3) but have sourced 2 new ones to make a complete set. Cant be many similar around anymore. Pleasure is somewhat muted as I missed out on getting a pair. Not at all sure of the merits or practicality of having 2 clutches and perhaps that is why they were not great sellers.
I have bought over the year 3 of the new stradics ( fl's). They are really nice smooth reels but I prefer the balance of c 14 stradics, which I got earlier, so keeping those in preference to the Fl versions. Trust all is well with you.
Alec

Alec,
if it's the Tri-Drag (front, rear and Fightin') version of the Twin Power, they are pithily named Twin Power Ci4 SRA.
The biggest issue with the reels, much like the current Stradic Ci4+ RA, was that they were expensive and few shops stocked them. The fact that a lot of match and general coarse anglers have abandoned Shimano doesn't help.

The most obvious difference between the current Stradic and the older Twin Power is the spool diameter. The Stradic spool is significantly oversized and the Twin Power more conventional. The less obvious differences are the Ci4 and Ci4+ materials (Ci4+ is the latest and lightest variant) used and the additional front drag fitted to the Twin Power.

I suspect that I'm one of the few Twin Power Ci4 SRA enthusiasts. I know a few more that gave them a go after reading my review. Some liked them, some didn't. I liked them enough to buy three 3000s and three 4000s. One of each are nothing more than spares. I do like the Stradic Ci4+ RA. I'd love a Twin Power with the oversized spool of the Stradic.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I think I need one.

I’ve got the 3000 size one with the three drags. It’s my go to reel for most float fishing. I have put braid on one spool and use it for spinning too. My one must be about seven or eight years old and it is the best fixed spool reel I have owned. Despite getting the most use of any of my reels it still looks and feels like it just came out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hague01

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I agree with all your comments particularly about the xt's. I had several xt-rb's, quite brilliant reels. I only sold them as I bought one bio, which I think Shimano intended to be the successor. I then sourced more from Italy when even the bios went out of production after only 3-4 years. 2012 or 15 I think. The bio is a little lighter and smoother I feel but that may just be me. I was particularly pleased on Sunday when I sourced 2 new spools which arrived in the post. For 15 each to make the reel as per originally supplied ie with 3 spools is gratifying. I drooled after the twin power in blue/grey spools for ages though. As you say Sam, a lot of money when new and I persuaded myself I didn't need any. Ah, the foolishness of age! Johnson Ross were selling them, when out of production, for around 115£ I seem to recall. I made do with 2nd best with the bio, but as a reel a great tool.

nottskev

Reaction score
Just realised I've got more of these than I thought. There's a Twinpower XTR 3000 living a in a ready-rod sleeve at he back of the queue. I've used it for odd commercial carp bomb sessions, but shelved the combo when I bought a more svelte and shorter rod that I pair with an Aero GTM. The reel's a bit of an in-between thing for me. It's much better looking than the XTRA's, imo, being a dark grey/black with no bling. But a 3000 is usually a good size for float, and the XTR is palpably heavier than equivalent Aero's - the extra bearings, I'd imagine - and the body size is bigger. It came with shallow spools, pointing to fine lines, but is a bit too heavy for that, for me. A final thing, and maybe just me: it's super-smooth winding in, but turns so freely that you have to always beware of it spewing excess line to any input, accidental or deliberate that starts it moving. So it's ended up looking good, a couple of times a year, legering, in a rod rest. I got it at a local shop as a heavily discounted "left over" about 15 years ago, even then I paid £100 for it.

hague01

Reaction score
Alec,
if it's the Tri-Drag (front, rear and Fightin') version of the Twin Power, they are pithily named Twin Power Ci4 SRA.
The biggest issue with the reels, much like the current Stradic Ci4+ RA, was that they were expensive and few shops stocked them. The fact that a lot of match and general coarse anglers have abandoned Shimano doesn't help.

The most obvious difference between the current Stradic and the older Twin Power is the spool diameter. The Stradic spool is significantly oversized and the Twin Power more conventional. The less obvious differences are the Ci4 and Ci4+ materials (Ci4+ is the latest and lightest variant) used and the additional front drag fitted to the Twin Power.

I suspect that I'm one of the few Twin Power Ci4 SRA enthusiasts. I know a few more that gave them a go after reading my review. Some liked them, some didn't. I liked them enough to buy three 3000s and three 4000s. One of each are nothing more than spares. I do like the Stradic Ci4+ RA. I'd love a Twin Power with the oversized spool of the Stradic.
Just thinking over lunch on your comments about spool sizes Sam so I have checked my reels.
The TP 400 is 100 yds of mono 10. The now discontinued stradic c 14+ is 200 ( black and red spools) and the new current 400 XGL is also 200 of 10. My bio 4000's are also 200 of 10., the 300 is 100. On the catalogue attached it says the Bio has the same line capacity of the TP, but that is wrong. All 6 spools I have of the bio 4k say 200. the 3K the shallow spool takes 100. Well that's fascinating. I always wondered why when filling a bio 4k it took twice as much line and also wondered why the 3 and the 4 were the same. Thanks Sam, I needed your input to dig it out. Ha! Alec
biomasters.jpeg

nottskev

Reaction score
I have just realised, I’ve got a bloody reel fetish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long stroke spool....rapid fire drag.....cold forged aluminium..... A-RB bearings.....rigid support drag. Shimano know how to talk dirty.

chevin4

Reaction score
I think at the last count I have 13 Shimano reels ranging from a Stradic 1000 purchased 20years ago up to 3 x C14 Medium Baitrunners. My last purchase as a 4000D Baitrunner which I brought for small river barbel fishing. I haven't come across a poor Shimano which I honestly can't say for some other brands.

trotter2

Reaction score
Twin power and Powerloop rods were introduced at the same time. I have had a number of each in fly rods and coarse rods .
Twin power range was the most expensive and powerful when compared to the powerloop range. Both the twin power range and powerloop coarse fishing rods came in hollow tip versions and spliced tip. Very light ,slim blanks for the time. So taking rods into account twin power reels could be referred to as the more powerful range just like the rods I would guess.